Jota

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's not very strange.
"Wolves’ willingness to be flexible on payment terms was crucial. They have accepted less than 10 per cent of the guaranteed figure in the next 12 months. The vast majority of that is offset by the initial payment from Wolves for the Hoever deal."

Leipzig, quite reasonably, wanted the release clause paying in full and Werner's wages are much higher. Wolves are long on cash, they are owned by Fosun International, but could usefully book high value sales (FFP breach a few months ago); Liverpool are short on immediate cash but have the ability to pay high fees when not caught on the hop. It suits both. Hoever is a talented player as well. Hopefully he does well at Wolves as he comes across as a good guy.

Not sure it's that complicated tbh. Easy enough to secure short term cash as a large, sustainable club. You lot fucked up somewhat and misread the market, expecting prices to fall back in May when you declined the Werner deal. Then when it became apparent there wasn't a market crash as you were expecting, have reverted to type.

Not sure it's that complicated tbh. Easy enough to secure short term cash as a large, sustainable club. You lot fucked up somewhat and misread the market, expecting prices to fall back in May when you declined the Werner deal. Then when it became apparent there wasn't a market crash as you were expecting, have reverted to type.

Yeah. Most clubs with similar profiles have borrowed or extended credit facilities in one form or another recently. LFC have not so far. I find it bizarre as it seems the obvious thing to do. But this coupled with the news about paying Bayern £5m a year over Thiago's contract (something LFC rarely do) led me to think FSG aren't planning to.

May was slightly different in that no one knew when we'd be allowed out of our houses again let alone if there'd be any football in the foreseeable or what it would look it.

Yeah. Most clubs with similar profiles have borrowed or extended credit facilities in one form or another recently. LFC have not so far. I find it bizarre as it seems the obvious thing to do. But this coupled with the news about paying Bayern £5m a year over Thiago's contract (something LFC rarely do) led me to think FSG aren't planning to.

May was slightly different in that no one knew when we'd be allowed out of our houses again let alone if there'd be any football in the foreseeable or what it would look it.

I think your analysis is correct and it just shows that Liverpool, with a high wage bill for their squad, find it hard to keep spending when something like Covid brings shortfalls in their income. Smaller clubs without a sugar daddy are under even more pressure.

I think Liverpool could do with another top centre back. Matip is a good player but always injured. Gomez is too inconsistent for me. Although in fairness there seems to be a shortage of top quality centre backs around these days.

That price for a squad player seems daft surely? Especially considering they don’t spend at the level of city/chelsea

I think your analysis is correct and it just shows that Liverpool, with a high wage bill for their squad, find it hard to keep spending when something like Covid brings shortfalls in their income. Smaller clubs without a sugar daddy are under even more pressure.

I think Liverpool could do with another top centre back. Matip is a good player but always injured. Gomez is too inconsistent for me. Although in fairness there seems to be a shortage of top quality centre backs around these days.

I'm a big Gomez fan tbh. Last week, for example, VVD gave away a goal, TAA gave away a chance from which Alisson got beaten at his near post from 20 yards -- Leeds' other goal was from Jones, subbed on at a throw-in, not picking up someone quickly enough from the same throw-in, who scored. That's not great but sometimes you just don't defend well. The guys who made the mistakes (VVD, TAA and Alisson) are such big players for the team, the discussion is about should Gomez be dropped for Matip to shore up the defence.

But yes, certainly could do with another CB as we've only 3 of them and Matip/Gomez's fitness records aren't the best. Also Hoever was one of those contending to step up to that spot but he's off to Wolves.

We're at or close to the non-homegrown limit post Jota depending on who goes out in the next few weeks. Bringing in a foreign player for Gomez would be problematic in that respect. The ideal would be to get an English/HG defender with potential but, as you say, quality defenders are hard to find. I think it's fair to say English ones are harder still and insanely expensive.

Rumours are that Fabinho's gonna do the emergency 4th choice CB thing this season now Thiago's arrived which would be...interesting. :lol:

Way overpriced for a player who wasn’t even a regular first choice pick in the Wolves team.

He’s probably good enough for Liverpool’s bench, but 40m for a sub, seems crackers.

I'm a big Gomez fan tbh. Last week, for example, VVD gave away a goal, TAA gave away a chance from which Alisson got beaten at his near post from 20 yards -- Leeds' other goal was from Jones, subbed on at a throw-in, not picking up someone quickly enough from the same throw-in, who scored. That's not great but sometimes you just don't defend well. The guys who made the mistakes (VVD, TAA and Alisson) are such big players for the team, the discussion is about should Gomez be dropped for Matip to shore up the defence.

But yes, certainly could do with another CB as we've only 3 of them and Matip/Gomez's fitness records aren't the best. Also Hoever was one of those contending to step up to that spot but he's off to Wolves.

We're at or close to the non-homegrown limit post Jota depending on who goes out in the next few weeks. Bringing in a foreign player for Gomez would be problematic in that respect. The ideal would be to get an English/HG defender with potential but, as you say, quality defenders are hard to find. I think it's fair to say English ones are harder still and insanely expensive.

Rumours are that Fabinho's gonna do the emergency 4th choice CB thing this season now Thiago's arrived which would be...interesting. :lol:

Gomez can be very good one day and the next day very indecisive. He never looks happy on the pitch so to me I'm thinking there is a mentality issue such as he can't cope with the pressure of playing at such a high level every match. Although he seems to have all the attributes.

Liverpool may seek to offload Origi and Shaquiri and have too many top midfielders now so presumably Wijnadlum is on his way as rumours suggest. If they want an English defender then perhaps Dunk of Brighton is worth a look. Solid but unspectacular and with a threat from corners. Playing Fabinho at centre back is from the Guardiola playbook and that tactic failed at Man City in my view.

Last edited:
It will be if he reproduces his Bayern stats at Anfield. Any idea why he wanted to leave Bayern and why they seemed to let him go without much of a fight?

He had a year left and has won everything there a couple of times over and basically decided he wanted to try something else so wouldn't re-new. Done Spain and Germany, the PL is the next logical step. Bayern didn't want him to go next year on a free and have Kimmich to put in at 6 anyway with young talent behind. As such they told him and his agent to come back with a reasonable deal for the club and thanks for the service. Enter Klopp.

Seemed very amicable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back