Jota

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a good signing I think. They can't improve the front 3 without spending £100m+ on a player so this is a good alternative. He's got European experience and will be mainly a bench and Cup player to give a rest to one of the others. Him and Minamino are excellent squad options.

It's a good signing I think. They can't improve the front 3 without spending £100m+ on a player so this is a good alternative. He's got European experience and will be mainly a bench and Cup player to give a rest to one of the others. Him and Minamino are excellent squad options.
Really don't get the Minamino hype ... A mags level player

Great signing. Two footed and plays anywhere across the front three. A very Klopp signing as a player that fits the system and philosophy they have

Shaq has been good for us when he's played. Quite popular too. Helps that his best games have tended to come against Everton and United. He has two real problems though. 1) When he's on we often switch to 4-2-3-1 because he doesn't press and work like Salah does when he's on the right. It's a great sub option to change a game (it also puts Salah central closer to the goal) but from the start Shaq's not good enough to justify altering the shape of the whole team. 2) The biggie. He's had a mysterious calf injury that no one at the club really ever talks about for some reason. It's weird. He's played under 30mins in total in 2020 I'm pretty sure. The non-Liverpool fan would just assume it's a fringe player not being picked I'd guess? To a red it's a mystery a player who was supposed to be out for 'a few weeks' has effectively missed the last 9 months.

I assume Jota's being bought to do the Origi role better. Mane cover from the left while being a central sub/back-up option. Slightly annoying that pre-Covid Timo Werner looked nailed on to be the extra left-central forward to come in. He'd have been more expensive, direct competition rather than a squad player obviously.

Strange that you quoted value at £45m for Werner as a reason to pull out and then paid £35m for Jota anyway, who clearly isn’t on the same level. Very strange decisions being made, but I do think jota is the kind of character that would flourish in a bit part role at Liverpool, rather than Shaqiri who’s having a meltdown, or Origi who never looks happy at your place. I also think his style is much better for you, he’ll press like crazy and seems to have a good spacial awareness so think with your level of service he’ll score plenty
Adding Jota and Thiago to a PL winning team for 70 Million is solid business I reckon

Think just adding Thiago for £70m would have been solid business tbh. Really rate this signing and think he’ll be massive for them

Last edited:
Jota and Alcantara indicate Liverpool are looking to play a more possession based game instead of knocking it into the channels for Salah and Mane. I don’t think Guardiola will be too bothered about the direction Liverpool are heading.

Strange that you quoted value at £45m for Werner as a reason to pull out and then paid £35m for Jota anyway, who clearly isn’t on the same level. Very strange decisions being made, but I do think jota is the kind of character that would flourish in a bit part role at Liverpool, rather than Shaqiri who’s having a meltdown, or Origi who never looks happy at your place. I also think his style is much better for you, he’ll press like crazy and seems to have a good spacial awareness so think with your level of service he’ll score plenty

It's not very strange.
"Wolves’ willingness to be flexible on payment terms was crucial. They have accepted less than 10 per cent of the guaranteed figure in the next 12 months. The vast majority of that is offset by the initial payment from Wolves for the Hoever deal."

Leipzig, quite reasonably, wanted the release clause paying in full and Werner's wages are much higher. Wolves are long on cash, they are owned by Fosun International, but could usefully book high value sales (FFP breach a few months ago); Liverpool are short on immediate cash but have the ability to pay high fees when not caught on the hop. It suits both. Hoever is a talented player as well. Hopefully he does well at Wolves as he comes across as a good guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back