Jon McLaughlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

August 2019: “And McLaughlin has now revealed that following an early discussion between his agent and Sunderland owner Stewart Donald , the club has yet to come back with an offer for him to consider”

February 2020: “Jon is someone we would like to keep. He is performing well but he has to keep his standards high and when the chairman is ready he will deal with that situation.”

May 2020: “Sunderland goalkeeper Jon McLaughlin is keen to resolve his contract situation at the Stadium of Light but admits all talks have been put on hold because of the COVID-19 pandemic.”

If we’ve offered a contract it seems Jon, his agent, the media and everyone else isn’t aware of it

I wouldnt be surprised if SD was unaware of the Covid-19 situation

Mind we shouldn't believe everything is donalds fault big john has a history of doing this
Totally agree which was the main reason I replied in this thread only for a few to take it the wrong way. SD should not take the rap for JM leaving on a free.
We knew what we were getting with JM (history of moving on when his contract is up), he was a good servant but it looks like he wanted to double his wages and Donald wasn’t comfortable with that.
I can understand JM wanting one last big contract and I can understand SD not wanting to double his wages until he is 34 (he’d want at least a 2 year deal) so both parties move on. I am certain JM will leave and I’d like to think SD has a suitable replacement lined up although I have my doubts about it.

Totally agree which was the main reason I replied in this thread only for a few to take it the wrong way. SD should not take the rap for JM leaving on a free.
We knew what we were getting with JM (history of moving on when his contract is up), he was a good servant but it looks like he wanted to double his wages and Donald wasn’t comfortable with that.
I can understand JM wanting one last big contract and I can understand SD not wanting to double his wages until he is 34 (he’d want at least a 2 year deal) so both parties move on. I am certain JM will leave and I’d like to think SD has a suitable replacement lined up although I have my doubts about it.
I’ve literally shown you evidence that we’ve not even offered him a contract?

actual quotes.

and all you can provide is wild speculation like that.

August 2019: “And McLaughlin has now revealed that following an early discussion between his agent and Sunderland owner Stewart Donald , the club has yet to come back with an offer for him to consider”

February 2020: “Jon is someone we would like to keep. He is performing well but he has to keep his standards high and when the chairman is ready he will deal with that situation.”

May 2020: “Sunderland goalkeeper Jon McLaughlin is keen to resolve his contract situation at the Stadium of Light but admits all talks have been put on hold because of the COVID-19 pandemic.”

If we’ve offered a contract it seems Jon, his agent, the media and everyone else isn’t aware of it
Can’t fault your facts.
An additional fact is that his agent went to Donald wanting around double what he is currently on. Maybe that put Donald off, maybe it was just a verbal offer from Donald and not an actual paper one to sign. I guess we will never know but one thing is for certain, we need a change of ownership to have even the slightest chance of progressing and getting out of this league.

Can’t fault your facts.
An additional fact is that his agent went to Donald wanting around double what he is currently on. Maybe that put Donald off, maybe it was just a verbal offer from Donald and not an actual paper one to sign. I guess we will never know but one thing is for certain, we need a change of ownership to have even the slightest chance of progressing and getting out of this league.
I’m sorry but, again, I’m going to have to press you for your source

I’ve literally shown you evidence that we’ve not even offered him a contract?

actual quotes.

and all you can provide is wild speculation like that.
That wasn’t my evidence, as I’ve said before, I can’t remember where I read it. The link I posted was the first thing I could find on it within a few seconds of searching. I did state that wasn’t the one though.
I’m sorry but, again, I’m going to have to press you for your source
You are going to have to press me? Can’t help but chuckle at you. Jog on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can’t fault your facts.
Donald is a chancer and doing a lot wrong but it fits the narrative to criticise him people are just going to blame him for everyone that leaves now.
Burge with ainwick as back up

That wasn’t my evidence, as I’ve said before, I can’t remember where I read it. The link I posted was the first thing I could find on it within a few seconds of searching. I did state that wasn’t the one though.

You are going to have to press me? Can’t help but chuckle at you. Jog on.

so yoI were just making it up?

We took the scenic route but we finally got there in the end.

Donald is a chancer and doing a lot wrong but it fits the narrative to criticise him people are just going to blame him for everyone that leaves now.

Burge with ainwick as back up
Donald has done some good (balancing the income/out goings and sorting the court cases). As for right now, he is struggling because he has lost the fans and he has no money to put in. He is a chancer, he saw us as a quick flip, buy on the cheap, get promoted and sell straight away. It failed and we have no plan b.
so yoI were just making it up?

We took the scenic route but we finally got there in the end.
Err no. I’m not repeating previous posts just because you can’t be arsed to read.

Last edited by a moderator:
a big history of not being offered a contract a few weeks from when his current one expires?

probably as that’s how this league operates. Clubs tend to see what division they are going to be in before sorting contracts out especially for ones they signed on a free. clubs will know how much the player wants from conversations with the agent. Why offer a contract if they are indicating that they want to double the current wage?

Donald has done some good (balancing the income/out goings and sorting the court cases). As for right now, he is struggling because he has lost the fans and he has no money to put in. He is a chancer, he saw us as a quick flip, buy on the cheap, get promoted and sell straight away. It failed and we have no plan b.

Err no. I’m not repeating previous posts just because you can’t be arsed to read.
Source?
I’m going to do this continuously. You can’t make wild claims and not back them up
probably as that’s how this league operates. Clubs tend to see what division they are going to be in before sorting contracts out especially for ones they signed on a free. clubs will know how much the player wants from conversations with the agent. Why offer a contract if they are indicating that they want to double the current wage?
Where has this come from? Seen it mentioned a few times now

Source?
I’m going to do this continuously. You can’t make wild claims and not back them up

Where has this come from? Seen it mentioned a few times now
Are you really that sad? I think the easiest thing here is ignore.

Yes he should.

And with respect to this, which is apparently now being used by a few as a stick to beat Jon with, let's look at where he has been and what his 'history' is.

After a spell with Harrogate, he spent 6 years with Bradford. After his first season he signed a new one-year contract - shorter term contracts being typical at lower league clubs, as we've found out. That takes him to 2010 where presumably after a couple of good years he puts pen to a 3-year contract. In 2013 Bradford get themselves promoted, with Jon playing in the play-off final. The club tell him he has a future there, so a clause in his contract is activiated and he signs a one year extension. The next summer, he and the club fail to reach an agreement on a new contract and he leaves. That's not running down your contract.

Burton - signs on a one year deal. Again, typical of the League. Ends up spending three seasons there before being released. Clough didn't want him. “We just feel that we want to move into a different direction with a different kind of goalkeeper. The nice thing is we’ve got Stephen Bywater who we will be offering to and hoping he will stay, we think he will. If we start the season with Stephen I don’t think anybody will be too disappointed with that. We wish him (Jon McLaughlin) all the best for whoever he goes next in his career.”

He goes to Hibs on trial, gets a one-year deal. Moves on as the Jocks can't compete financially with us.

That's not a history of playing down contracts, that's the life of a lower level player getting by season to season on short-term contracts.

I'd be interested to know where this idea of him wanting to "double his wages" has come from. Like I say, we've heard all this nonsense before, and we know the club was left worse off for the outcome.

Last edited:
Don't think many clubs will be looking at renewing contracts or signing new players until the financial implications of next season are clearer. In our league clubs are massively dependent on match day attendances to balance the books. With the prospect of no spectators for a good chunk of the season, advertising and sponsorship will also drop, going to be a long bleak winter for all lower league clubs. I expect squads to be trimmed, transfer fees to virtually disappear , and free agents to accept reduced wages. The gap between the PL, championship, and our pub league is just going to get bigger sadly.

Yes he should.

And with respect to this, which is apparently now being used by a few as a stick to beat Jon with, let's look at where he has been and what his 'history' is.

After a spell with Harrogate, he spent 6 years with Bradford. After his first season he signed a new one-year contract - shorter term contracts being typical at lower league clubs, as we've found out. That takes him to 2010 where presumably after a couple of good years he puts pen to a 3-year contract. In 2013 Bradford get themselves promoted, with Jon playing in the play-off final. The club tell him he has a future there, so a clause in his contract is activiated and he signs a one year extension. The next summer, he and the club fail to reach an agreement on a new contract and he leaves. That's not running down your contract.

Burton - signs on a one year deal. Again, typical of the League. Ends up spending three seasons there before being released. Clough didn't want him. “We just feel that we want to move into a different direction with a different kind of goalkeeper. The nice thing is we’ve got Stephen Bywater who we will be offering to and hoping he will stay, we think he will. If we start the season with Stephen I don’t think anybody will be too disappointed with that. We wish him (Jon McLaughlin) all the best for whoever he goes next in his career.”

He goes to Hibs on trial, gets a one-year deal. Moves on as the Jocks can't compete financially with us.

That's not a history of playing down contracts, that's the life of a lower level player getting by season to season on short-term contracts.

I'd be interested to know where this idea of him wanting to "double his wages" has come from. Like I say, we've heard all this nonsense before, and we know the club was left worse off for the outcome.

very good forensic analysis there Chris.

Good to see the brain trust keeping the thickies in check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back