Jon McLaughlin

Status
Not open for further replies.
“If the player is happy” - not sure any player apart from Luke O’Nien is happy? They don’t look it. Maybe Gooch and Power on a good day but that’s it
Just going of what he's said in the press. He's said this is probably the biggest club he'll play for, happy in the area etc, feels as though there's a job to finish, ie get promoted.

:lol: Because that was so very clear like.

The point still stands though - I don't really see how the player or his agent could be blamed ahead of Donald here. What does Jon McLaughlin owe us really?

If he wants to play in the Championship - fair enough. Short career - take the opportunity. If he wants to and more importantly is able to make more money elsewhere - fair enough. Short career - take the opportunity. What's sickening though is if the player is happy and it is solely down to money, and we're being financially out-muscled by the fuckin' Venkys.

Now I'm not entirely sure what Jon McLaughlin is worth, and I've less idea of what he's on and what they might be offering. But this posturing from Donald, thinking he knows what players are worth, thinking he can take on their agents and get what's best for Sunderland has already been found out before. He thinks he can get better value for money elsewhere? I don't think so.

We'll put last nights disagreement/misunderstanding behind us anyway, as it looks like we're in agreement on wanting the Chancer out.
It seemed clear to the 20 or so that liked it.

Anyway JM owes us nothing, if he wants one last big pay day, which he does (who wouldn’t) them good luck to him. The issue I had was people blaming SD for it which is totally wrong and totally unjust. Clubs up and down the country lose players each year they’d want to keep. Some fans just can’t seem to accept this and will blame SD for anything.
I’m very disappointed with SD’s stewardship of our club and believe we can only progress when he is gone as he is out of his depth and penniless but to blame him for JMs contract is just plain stupid.

It seemed clear to the 20 or so that liked it.

Anyway JM owes us nothing, if he wants one last big pay day, which he does (who wouldn’t) them good luck to him. The issue I had was people blaming SD for it which is totally wrong and totally unjust. Clubs up and down the country lose players each year they’d want to keep. Some fans just can’t seem to accept this and will blame SD for anything.
I’m very disappointed with SD’s stewardship of our club and believe we can only progress when he is gone as he is out of his depth and penniless but to blame him for JMs contract is just plain stupid.
He gave him it.

It's up to Donald manage that situation. All a player can do is honour their existing contract 'til any new offer is made.
I totally agree. So Donald offered him a contract, his agent said he wanted way more, Donald is nowhere near and doesn’t want to pay effectively Championship wages for a keeper who is 32. He is avoiding another Cattermole situation of having the club tied to expensive contracts with the player having no or little resale value because of age. Donald is doing the best for club in this situation, how is that Donald’s fault (going back to my original defence of him)?

Edit: Sometimes I wish I could just sit down in a pub and have a normal conversation over a beer, messages whether it be on here or texts etc are so easily dissected and taken the wrong way. Hopefully we can all do that again soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally agree. So Donald offered him a contract, his agent said he wanted way more, Donald is nowhere near and doesn’t want to pay effectively Championship wages for a keeper who is 32. He is avoiding another Cattermole situation of having the club tied to expensive contracts with the player having no or little resale value because of age. Donald is doing the best for club in this situation, how is that Donald’s fault (going back to my original defence of him)?
Source?

I think I already explained this earlier in the thread. It was ages ago, I can’t remember, apologies. We are talking about close to a year ago when SD tried to resolve it. I guess just after JM started in his final year. It’s just one of those things unfortunately.

this is not the one but it’s a help:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I already explained this earlier in the thread. It was ages ago, I can’t remember, apologies. We are talking about close to a year ago when SD tried to resolve it. I guess just after JM started in his final year. It just one of those things unfortunately.

didn’t either Jm or his agent say they hadn’t received a contract offer just after that?

Edit: Sometimes I wish I could just sit down in a pub and have a normal conversation over a beer, messages whether it be on here or texts etc are so easily dissected and taken the wrong way. Hopefully we can all do that again soon.

I think its highly more probably that SD doesn't even know JM is out of contract soon.

didn’t either Jm or his agent say they hadn’t received a contract offer just after that?
Trouble is you never know who to believe and we all know what SD’s record is like with us fans.
I think its highly more probably that SD doesn't even know JM is out of contract soon.
I have just edited the post with a link I quickly found. Note the date too.

Trouble is you never know who to believe and we all know what SD’s record is like with us fans.

I have just edited the post with a link I quickly found. Note the date too.
Mind we shouldn't believe everything is donalds fault big john has a history of doing this

August 2019: “And McLaughlin has now revealed that following an early discussion between his agent and Sunderland owner Stewart Donald , the club has yet to come back with an offer for him to consider”

February 2020: “Jon is someone we would like to keep. He is performing well but he has to keep his standards high and when the chairman is ready he will deal with that situation.”

May 2020: “Sunderland goalkeeper Jon McLaughlin is keen to resolve his contract situation at the Stadium of Light but admits all talks have been put on hold because of the COVID-19 pandemic.”

If we’ve offered a contract it seems Jon, his agent, the media and everyone else isn’t aware of it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back