Joker

• Thread starter Deleted member 27897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

if there is a sequel it’s got to tie in with Batman imo and the new Batman films need to be a 15
I think they could do more with it before Batman, maybe introduce him at the end or summit but they could do a film showing the Joker building his empire which I reckon would be canny.

Just seen it. Decent film, but didn't live up to the hype for me. Better than the average comic book film, but nowhere near as good as the 70s Scorcese films it is trying to look like.

People talking about not knowing which bits are real and which bits are in his head are also pretty baffling. They literally play a flashback of what really happened in the scenes where he is imagining stuff.

Just seen it. Decent film, but didn't live up to the hype for me. Better than the average comic book film, but nowhere near as good as the 70s Scorcese films it is trying to look like.

People talking about not knowing which bits are real and which bits are in his head are also pretty baffling. They literally play a flashback of what really happened in the scenes where he is imagining stuff.
Agreed. It’s hammered home beyond belief

Seen it twice now, I absolutely love it, but can see how it appeals to some people more than others.

I don’t really like the Batman/Comic book themed films, thought Dark Knight (only seen one, think there was more?) was an exception, but thought this was a masterpiece.

Casting was almost perfect... the dwarf was pretty awful, Home and Away quality acting. Funny though.

Saw it last night. Outstanding piece of cinema. Loved the way the link to the DC characters was minimal which added to the films story and it could have easily been a stand alone film about a mans descent in insanity.

Built up to a brilliant ending

Just seen it last night,

I have to say, this is well worth watching. It generated a lot of controversy in the US, but this is really not your average comic book good buy/bad guy film.

Instead of being based on your usual "supernatural powers, "sci-fi" and other unrealistic far-fetched cliches targeted at kids, this film's strength comes from its endeavor to be real, to reflect the world we live in.

The character's transformation into the Joker is in fact an extremely well written political and social commentary exploring themes such as mental illness, inequality, disillusionment, class dynamics, hopelessness and "us vs. them"

Absolutely recommend this. Original, thrilling and gripping.
I thought it was poorly written, personally. Everything is clearly telegraphed, and it’s a simple progression showing someone becoming increasingly unhinged. This is formulaic and predictable.

The character of The Joker has no duality and there’s nothing particularly interesting about him at all. The movie is like a bad remake of Taxi Driver, without a ‘Jodie Foster’ character anchoring it and providing any kind of tension.

The most interesting character - and the biggest missed opportunity in the movie - is Thomas Wayne, however the writers were overly pre-occupied with a ‘and then’ narrative structure focussed on the character of The Joker’s mental instability rather than utilising the more captivating ‘but/therefore’ rule to make an interesting movie.

That's the thing. By the time that Bruce was say 30, Joker would probably be in his mid 60s would you say?

They fucked it up with the Joker murdering Batman's father and not like in Batman's true origin story where Joe Chill is the Gotham City mugger

Last edited:
Saw it last night. Outstanding piece of cinema. Loved the way the link to the DC characters was minimal which added to the films story and it could have easily been a stand alone film about a mans descent in insanity.
wonder how much money it would have made if it had just been called "Fleck" or something with no DC connection ?

That's only one potential origin though.

It is the true one though they've only changed it in this film to change the entire story.
Batman's father was always a good guy and had no relationship with the Joker as you say they are around the same age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back