I've took voluntary redundancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

In all seriousness it has its good points but it's been ruined by government and senior management

Do you have any qualification that would help teaching wise mate ?
Yeah, I get that it’s been ruined, that side of it sounds horrendous but is probably part of the reason why I’m fancying it. Not to sound too Mother Theresa about it, a lot of teachers I’ve spoken to have forgotten about why they are teachers and the kids are almost secondary in the job so figured why not give it a go see if I can make a difference.

Need to suss out the different options re qualifications, from what I can see there’s a few different routes into it?

Good call, you don't need a teaching degree for dog obedience classes
:evil::lol::lol:

18 months ago I put in for redundancy and didn’t get it so I just left anyway 12 months ago .
I was luck enough to get another job straight away doing a similar thing for a different firm as that was the easy option at that point in time . I’m now looking to change again 12 months on and I am lots less worried about it.
I am also looking at other things and will take a punt at anything really.
My advice would be to take a job that you can have fun at for now, a job that lets you travel and get paid to do it if that’s what you like. You are in a place at this time of your life that many are envious of. You have choice. I know that when the bairn was little that I didn’t have that choice really.

I was really really unhappy at work and with life, worked unsociable hours (although could travel due to time off), I know I had to do it, but I am now very anxious with worry, about being unemployed and what lies nex. I'm a particularly anxious chap at times, so this is a big deal for me.

I've a few ideas of what to do next but its absolutely daunting, as I am looking a changing careers possibly or even going back to Uni to retrain, its hard to tell at this stage what is realistic and what isn't.

Has anyone done anything similar?

arrrgh

Wasn't made redundant but was in an office job that I hated because it was tediously boring. Didn't want to stay there long term. Sat and planned how I could escape and ended up in the job I'm in now which I love. It was daunting jumping from employment to self employment especially being single with just my salary coming in, but it's all worked out fine in the end.

Have a good think about where you want to go next and research it well so it doesn't seem as daunting. Hope you find something you enjoy xx

18 months ago I put in for redundancy and didn’t get it so I just left anyway 12 months ago .
I was luck enough to get another job straight away doing a similar thing for a different firm as that was the easy option at that point in time . I’m now looking to change again 12 months on and I am lots less worried about it.
I am also looking at other things and will take a punt at anything really.
My advice would be to take a job that you can have fun at for now, a job that lets you travel and get paid to do it if that’s what you like. You are in a place at this time of your life that many are envious of. You have choice. I know that when the bairn was little that I didn’t have that choice really.

Sound marra.

Its that this job allows me to travel, I am scared of missing that, but like half the year I am trapped in an office in the early hours of the morning or and all weekend, the balance is all off, if you know what I mean.

Yeah, I get that it’s been ruined, that side of it sounds horrendous but is probably part of the reason why I’m fancying it. Not to sound too Mother Theresa about it, a lot of teachers I’ve spoken to have forgotten about why they are teachers and the kids are almost secondary in the job so figured why not give it a go see if I can make a difference.

Need to suss out the different options re qualifications, from what I can see there’s a few different routes into it?

:evil::lol::lol:

Yes mate sure you could qualify

Friend of mine came in late was first class with students good behaviour management great subject knowledge but struggled with data and keeping up with marking

Management ended up hounding him so much he chucked it in. Have seen so many good people leave over recent years that was why I discourage anybody going into the job

Saying that am sure a chap of your age maturity and experience would thrive;)

I was really really unhappy at work and with life, worked unsociable hours (although could travel due to time off), I know I had to do it, but I am now very anxious with worry, about being unemployed and what lies nex. I'm a particularly anxious chap at times, so this is a big deal for me.

I've a few ideas of what to do next but its absolutely daunting, as I am looking a changing careers possibly or even going back to Uni to retrain, its hard to tell at this stage what is realistic and what isn't.

Has anyone done anything similar?

arrrgh
With me it wasn't voluntary, but looking back and where I am now, it has been the best thing ever for me. Took a few weeks off and thought about what I wanted to do. Ended up setting up my own business, which has been both fun and difficult at times. Said I'd give it 6 months and if it didn't work out, I'd get a job. 9 years later and it's all looking very good as we've just had our best trading year to date.

The one regret I have is not working for myself sooner.

This is why you can't lose mate. I was in a job that sounded good on paper but did my tits in.

I got very ill and had to leave, even at the lowest points I remember thinking "well at least I'm not in the office".

Very true, yeah that isn't a good sign is it!

People hate jobs for different reasons, mine is easy, not stressful, I am good at it, takes no time at all, but its going nowhere, no progression, and its too unsociable, feel miles behind my mates career wise.

Spilling my life story here!

PS. This why I am determined not to get banned again and be on my best behaviour, actually do need the advice on here

Last edited:
Yes mate sure you could qualify

Friend of mine came in late was first class with students good behaviour management great subject knowledge but struggled with data and keeping up with marking

Management ended up hounding him so much he chucked it in. Have seen so many good people leave over recent years that was why I discourage anybody going into the job

Saying that am sure a chap of your age maturity and experience would thrive;)
:lol:Such a conflicting post, was that a compliment or an insult?

Tbh one thing I wouldn’t mind a crack at is going into schools in a consultancy role and look at process improvements to deal with all the data capture and crap that does with it. Again, the stories I’ve heard about it there’s so many other much easier ways of dealing with that type of thing. It’s understandable that schools can be drowned in it when you’ve got teachers who are trained to teach trying to deal with all that crap. Of course there’s no way a school is going to pay consultancy fees for me to do that so the other way to do it is to teach and try and change from within.

I could be talking complete bollocks and have a head full of fairy dust though.

People hate jobs for different reasons, mine is easy, not stressful, I am good at it, takes no time at all, but its going nowhere, no progression, and its too unsociable, feel miles behind my mates career wise.

It doesn't matter what the job is or entails, it's no good if you are not happy.

The office job I had was easy and no stress. They just didn't have enough work for me to fill my shift, so there was a lot of sitting around twiddling my thumbs and willing the phone to ring because I was bored!

:lol:Such a conflicting post, was that a compliment or an insult?

Tbh one thing I wouldn’t mind a crack at is going into schools in a consultancy role and look at process improvements to deal with all the data capture and crap that does with it. Again, the stories I’ve heard about it there’s so many other much easier ways of dealing with that type of thing. It’s understandable that schools can be drowned in it when you’ve got teachers who are trained to teach trying to deal with all that crap. Of course there’s no way a school is going to pay consultancy fees for me to do that so the other way to do it is to teach and try and change from within.

I could be talking complete bollocks and have a head full of fairy dust though.

A compliment marra :)

Lots of people are payed to go into school to " help" teachers loads telling you how to stimulate interest in disruptive students and get them to achieve beyond their target grade. Problem is nobody actually shows you how to do it over a sustained period it's all theory

To much data analysis ridiculous amount of marking and observations

Then again perhaps I am just a cynical old bastard ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back