I've took voluntary redundancy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was really really unhappy at work and with life, worked unsociable hours (although could travel due to time off), I know I had to do it, but I am now very anxious with worry, about being unemployed and what lies nex. I'm a particularly anxious chap at times, so this is a big deal for me.

I've a few ideas of what to do next but its absolutely daunting, as I am looking a changing careers possibly or even going back to Uni to retrain, its hard to tell at this stage what is realistic and what isn't.

Has anyone done anything similar?

arrrgh
We’re going through a massive shuffle at work at the moment, and I’ve chosen after 23 years not to apply for any of the new roles and go on my way. It’s the only company I’ve worked for and although I’m full of bravado at the moment on the outside, inside I’m secretly shitting myself. I’m confident in my own ability, I’ve seen some utter shite in the IT world to know I’m a million times better than some people I see in good positions, but it’s the interview process that I’m shitting myself about.

Best of luck! I hear these worries all the time, and when I meet them months/years later they’ve never looked back!

A compliment marra :)

Lots of people are payed to go into school to " help" teachers loads telling you how to stimulate interest in disruptive students and get them to achieve beyond their target grade. Problem is nobody actually shows you how to do it over a sustained period it's all theory

To much data analysis ridiculous amount of marking and observations

Then again perhaps I am just a cynical old bastard ...
Unfortunately you’re not being cynical...sad state of affairs. Heard a story yesterday about a kid who was found trying to top himself (year 7 ffs), the initial response from the senco (sp) was one of ffs, is little Johnny seeking attention again, haven’t got time for this I need to be going home....soon changed their tune when they realised how serious it was. It was an absolute horrific story.

What’s gone so wrong that people who are paid to look after and teach these kids can have such an attitude. Kids deserve better, much better....I know I’ve got this romantic notion going on but f***ing hell, it seems like a lot of teachers need to remember why they’re in the job and put their own career aspirations secondary to actually making a difference to the kids they see everyday.

We’re going through a massive shuffle at work at the moment, and I’ve chosen after 23 years not to apply for any of the new roles and go on my way. It’s the only company I’ve worked for and although I’m full of bravado at the moment on the outside, inside I’m secretly shitting myself. I’m confident in my own ability, I’ve seen some utter shite in the IT world to know I’m a million times better than some people I see in good positions, but it’s the interview process that I’m shitting myself about.

Best of luck! I hear these worries all the time, and when I meet them months/years later they’ve never looked back!
You will be fine. I changed after nearly 18 years in a firm a couple of years ago and I was 53. I have forgotten all about them now. My new employer was crying out for the skills I had gained over the years.

I was really really unhappy at work and with life, worked unsociable hours (although could travel due to time off), I know I had to do it, but I am now very anxious with worry, about being unemployed and what lies nex. I'm a particularly anxious chap at times, so this is a big deal for me.

I've a few ideas of what to do next but its absolutely daunting, as I am looking a changing careers possibly or even going back to Uni to retrain, its hard to tell at this stage what is realistic and what isn't.

arrrgh
Takes some balls to do that mate, look forward, don't look back, take some time to look into the career you want to move to and then take the bull by the horns and go for it.

You're obviously not work shy and have had the sense to bank a bit of money which gives you a bit of breathing space, good luck and I hope it all works out for you.

Just don't be yourself and you should be fine mate.

Unfortunately you’re not being cynical...sad state of affairs. Heard a story yesterday about a kid who was found trying to top himself (year 7 ffs), the initial response from the senco (sp) was one of ffs, is little Johnny seeking attention again, haven’t got time for this I need to be going home....soon changed their tune when they realised how serious it was. It was an absolute horrific story.

What’s gone so wrong that people who are paid to look after and teach these kids can have such an attitude. Kids deserve better, much better....I know I’ve got this romantic notion going on but f***ing hell, it seems like a lot of teachers need to remember why they’re in the job and put their own career aspirations secondary to actually making a difference to the kids they see everyday.

Would take ages to explain mate think it's been covered on teachers threads although the teachers have it easy lot would disagree

Canny summer hols for ganin up the Lakes tho hew !

arrrgh
Said many times on here but I've done it a few times and it has always been the right decision.
In my twenties I jacked my job in and went travelling for a year. Few years later I took voluntary redundancy and took nine months off to write my first novel.
Couple of years ago I packed in a very good career to become a full time writer. Don't earn anywhere near as much as I did but I'm a lot happier.
I've never regretted making big decisions but I sometimes regret not making them sooner.

As Chunky said earlier, everyone I know who has taken redundancy has gone onto bigger and better things.

With me it wasn't voluntary, but looking back and where I am now, it has been the best thing ever for me. Took a few weeks off and thought about what I wanted to do. Ended up setting up my own business, which has been both fun and difficult at times. Said I'd give it 6 months and if it didn't work out, I'd get a job. 9 years later and it's all looking very good as we've just had our best trading year to date.

The one regret I have is not working for myself sooner.

Same for me mate. 11 year trading now. f***ing nightmare at times but couldnt work for someone again.

Said many times on here but I've done it a few times and it has always been the right decision.
In my twenties I jacked my job in and went travelling for a year. Few years later I took voluntary redundancy and took nine months off to write my first novel.
Couple of years ago I packed in a very good career to become a full time writer. Don't earn anywhere near as much as I did but I'm a lot happier.
I've never regretted making big decisions but I sometimes regret not making them sooner.

As Chunky said earlier, everyone I know who has taken redundancy has gone onto bigger and better things.

Yeah I've seen you post about it before, very inspirational mate, thanks for that. Need to back myself

Go for it Rat.
I took voluntary after 26 years with same company. I was scared shitless that I was institutionalised and only employable by them.
Couldn't have been more wrong, found similar work but in completely different industry.
I'm now freelance, working at the pace I want, earning more and turning work away.
Best thing I ever did.

You will be fine. I changed after nearly 18 years in a firm a couple of years ago and I was 53. I have forgotten all about them now. My new employer was crying out for the skills I had gained over the years.
It’s become stale where I am and it was too comfortable, and the processes and current setup is a nightmare, so it’s a great time to get out with a package. At 41 I’ve got plenty working life ahead of me, and I’d like to find another company to stay at until retirement so won’t be jumping straight into a jobs for the sake of it. However it seems modern business sees people jump ship every 2-3 years for money/better prospects etc. Think I’m a bit old school in my thinking.

It’s become stale where I am and it was too comfortable, and the processes and current setup is a nightmare, so it’s a great time to get out with a package. At 41 I’ve got plenty working life ahead of me, and I’d like to find another company to stay at until retirement so won’t be jumping straight into a jobs for the sake of it. However it seems modern business sees people jump ship every 2-3 years for money/better prospects etc. Think I’m a bit old school in my thinking.

My moves were 2 year, 2 year, 9 year, 11 year so I take the piss out of my cousin who moves every 9 month, hes making a fortune though.
I think times have changed and loyalty isnt expected anymore, some would argue its abused.

Would take ages to explain mate think it's been covered on teachers threads although the teachers have it easy lot would disagree

Canny summer hols for ganin up the Lakes tho hew !
Aye, the teachers have it easy brigade maybe need their eyes opened a bit.

I honestly don't think it is deliberate on the most part.
Services like Sencos, police, emergency services are struggling
schools have been put under huge pressure to tick boxes not nurture

it's sad

I honestly don't think it is deliberate on the most part.
Services like Sencos, police, emergency services are struggling
schools have been put under huge pressure to tick boxes not nurture

it's sad
I agree it’s nof deliberate but thy doesn’t make it ok. There should be an awareness of what’s going on and then a deliberate effort to put kids first.

My moves were 2 year, 2 year, 9 year, 11 year so I take the piss out of my cousin who moves every 9 month, hes making a fortune though.
I think times have changed and loyalty isnt expected anymore, some would argue its abused.
Place where I work is a Dutch managed company, some conversions with those and they can’t believe the length of service of some of the UK based staff. The Europeans like to move regular, or if staying at the same company move roles to keep things fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back