I've met some truly mad Sunderland supporters .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only occasion I can recall was sitting in the Castle in Shrewsbury (the one closest to the station - at the time had a Texan landlady who made the most amazing chilli). It was filling up slowly and we got talking to these two lads who were obviously squaddies. All fine, then I asked them where they were based - "Hereford". There's only one regiment based in Hereford, and they do stuff like blowing up embassies. I spent the next hour and a half thinking "Please God, don't let it all kick off".

f***ing hell :eek:

Believe me mate, I'm a bloke who's been to all of the 'bad' games at Bristol, Cardiff, Boro, Millwall, Spurs, etc, over the years and stood my ground ....... but some of the Sunderland lads I've seen have made me stand back and think FFS, you're f***ing crazy!
You worked on the doors in Nottingham at one point? Maybe someone else on here.

No that's Mad Ivor from Stanley ,,another Stanley legend Mad Gilly (rab C) was on a minibus back from Manchester Utd years ago he vomited into about bag then drank it
I used to love it back in the day when The SAFCSA ran Watsons buses from Stanley and Gilly would travel with us regaling us with tales of the Stanley Pirates. A genuinely funny lad and daft as the proverbial ships cat.

Lots of the real characters either packed it in or are no longer with us.

....... and struggling to think of the craziest.

Is it Mag Catcher who answered a Friday night plea, on RTG, to collect 2 tickets for the away FA Cup match at Bolton from a stranger, pay for them and deliver them to another complete stranger ...... not only that but he met us, insisted on buying us a pint and wouldn't let us pay him extra for driving to Whitley Bay late on a Friday night.

Or was it a lad we met at Southampton on Wednesday who travelled down with his dad and was staying overnight ....... not only that but he's down for the Bournemouth weekend with some kids who he takes when their dad's can't make it.

Was it the 2 'hippies' from Cumbria who rescued us from a pasting at Bristol City and used to find it hilarious to get us plastered in the Continental knowing we couldn't drive home and would end up sleeping 5 to a car at the back of the Boilermakers.

No, despite their claims, and those of hundreds more over 40 years, there's only one who can truly claim the crown ....... some of them were daft or ridiculously fanatical but this lad was actually clinically insane. He travelled with us for a couple of seasons although there have been many who've come and gone, some totally forgotten and some who only lasted 1 game before being asked to make alternative arrangements.

But this lad never annoyed us enough or failed to cough up the petrol money or swerved his round in the pub ..... in fact he rarely spoke in the car and was picked up near Newark railway station, he never told us anything about himself or allowed us to collect us from his home.

After two seasons, in the 1980s, he vanished and we never saw him again. When we discussed him latet we all thought one of the others knew who he was and had invited him ........ we realised we didn't even know his name!!!!!

We'd only ever called him by the nickname he'd earned, The Scuttler.

That came from his habit of vanishing as soon as we parked up then meeting back up in the ground at some point with bloodied knuckles saying, "Scuttled a few of them Cockney/Scouse/Mag/ etc bastards." :eek:

He never invited us on his escapades, never mentioned them again or expected any praise, comments or recognition

I've no idea what happened to him or why he stopped going. I've asked the other lads, who travelled with us, and they've no idea either ...... just one of those daft lads who pass like ships in the night who've we've all met over the years.

When I was at West Ham & Southampton I bumped into loads of the old faces and it set me thinking, hence this post ........ so haway, cast yer minds back and post some of the characters you've met over the years and, if you don't like the thread or the poster, just pass on by .....

Wheez the blowk that always used to shout " haway me bonny bairns" - first met him at arsenal 83 when westie banged a 20 yarder past Jennings to save us from relegation.
I'm 55, this bloke will be early 60s.

Did he have a massive forehead which protruded about 2ft in front of him? Saved us from a kicking at Filbert Street back in the day. We had went for a walk around the ground but didn't know we were being followed. As we got back round the main entrance he jumped up strode past us stood in front of them and said something like "is there a problem"

Only occasion I can recall was sitting in the Castle in Shrewsbury (the one closest to the station - at the time had a Texan landlady who made the most amazing chilli). It was filling up slowly and we got talking to these two lads who were obviously squaddies. All fine, then I asked them where they were based - "Hereford". There's only one regiment based in Hereford, and they do stuff like blowing up embassies. I spent the next hour and a half thinking "Please God, don't let it all kick off".
:lol::lol::lol: Class

What a great story that was.
Didn't he get renicked after going to the Fire Service and asking them to cut his cuffs off ??

That's correct.

Iirc it was Fulwell fire station

Wheez the blowk that always used to shout " haway ne bonny bairns" - first met him at arsenal 83 when westie banged a 20 yarder past Jennings to save us from relegation.
I'm 55, this bloke will be early 60s.
You said you weren't old you twat. I knew 61 was the year you were born. Davey used to shout haway me bonny lads all of the time

I used to love it back in the day when The SAFCSA ran Watsons buses from Stanley and Gilly would travel with us regaling us with tales of the Stanley Pirates. A genuinely funny lad and daft as the proverbial ships cat.

Lots of the real characters either packed it in or are no longer with us.

Characters will always be with us.

Did he have a massive forehead which protruded about 2ft in front of him? Saved us from a kicking at Filbert Street back in the day. We had went for a walk around the ground but didn't know we were being followed. As we got back round the main entrance he jumped up strode past us stood in front of them and said something like "is there a problem"

We walked away from Filbert Street and realised we were being followed by around 30 of the Baby Squad .....
... as we neared the car, and started panicking, we passed a skip full of builders waste including lumps of 2x2 staves.

3 of us knocked fuck out of the bastards....... bet they didn't put that in their hoolie book :lol:

Was never as popular as I was on a trip to Derby, was the 0-5 game under Peter Reid when Phillips got a hat-trick. Sitting on the train chatting on with people who I'd never met, cans not drunk so needed to put them in lost property, decided to put them in as a group. I had the ticket to get them back, a canny few people were me best mates until they had their hands back on their cans.
Happy bloody days man, this thread has really cheered me up

You said you weren't old you twat. I knew 61 was the year you were born. Davey used to shout haway me bonny lads all of the time
:lol::lol:piss off us stalking get ! Naah, wasn't DD, think the guy was from Seaham? Was always at the away games with his mate. Wud defo recognise him again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back