I've met some truly mad Sunderland supporters .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davey Dowell smashing the Penta Hotel Heathrows mixing desk up, falling over it dancing to Nelly the Elephant before the Milk Cup Final.
I was on holiday in Sharm when we played the first leg of the semi-final against Man Utd, aye fair weather fan I know, but as much as I plan my holidays around fixtures a cup semi final wasn't on me radar.
Anyway sitting watching it in one of the hotel bars and when we score pockets of Sunderland fans popped up. One turned out to be a member of the Toy Dolls, cue a load of daft Sunderland supporters serenading the hotel all night with Nelly The Elephant :D

Anyone remember Haggis from Houghton? When we were kids (about 9 or 10 ) late 1960 we would travel to the match on the Number 14 from South Hetton. We all believed he lived in the toilets in Houghton bus station and would be shit scared he would get on the bus. Was only about 2 or 3 years older than us. About 60 now!:oops::oops::cry:

Can't remember if it was a scorpion, but did have a tattoo on his neck when it was only wrongun's who did it, not hipsters & male models like now. Absolutely fearsome looking fella who you wouldn't forget in a hurry. Was on my bus down to the infamous Milk Cup Semi Final at Chelsea.
By the way, he wasn't just a random bald bloke, he was a a proper massive skinheed. :lol:

Only occasion I can recall was sitting in the Castle in Shrewsbury (the one closest to the station - at the time had a Texan landlady who made the most amazing chilli). It was filling up slowly and we got talking to these two lads who were obviously squaddies. All fine, then I asked them where they were based - "Hereford". There's only one regiment based in Hereford, and they do stuff like blowing up embassies. I spent the next hour and a half thinking "Please God, don't let it all kick off".

Over 6 foot I'd say, ;) you would definitely describe him as 'big' (not in a fat way). I was just a skinny little kid at the time. It was his eyes man, like I said a fearsome looking bloke... (was always nice to me when he saw my programme on the Tyne Valley line train back to Hexham :cool:)
The chapter in the book is class

Only occasion I can recall was sitting in the Castle in Shrewsbury (the one closest to the station - at the time had a Texan landlady who made the most amazing chilli). It was filling up slowly and we got talking to these two lads who were obviously squaddies. All fine, then I asked them where they were based - "Hereford". There's only one regiment based in Hereford, and they do stuff like blowing up embassies. I spent the next hour and a half thinking "Please God, don't let it all kick off".
Shrewsbury fans had a few nutters in 80s and 90s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back