I've met some truly mad Sunderland supporters .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reiver

Winger
....... and struggling to think of the craziest.

Is it Mag Catcher who answered a Friday night plea, on RTG, to collect 2 tickets for the away FA Cup match at Bolton from a stranger, pay for them and deliver them to another complete stranger ...... not only that but he met us, insisted on buying us a pint and wouldn't let us pay him extra for driving to Whitley Bay late on a Friday night.

Or was it a lad we met at Southampton on Wednesday who travelled down with his dad and was staying overnight ....... not only that but he's down for the Bournemouth weekend with some kids who he takes when their dad's can't make it.

Was it the 2 'hippies' from Cumbria who rescued us from a pasting at Bristol City and used to find it hilarious to get us plastered in the Continental knowing we couldn't drive home and would end up sleeping 5 to a car at the back of the Boilermakers.

No, despite their claims, and those of hundreds more over 40 years, there's only one who can truly claim the crown ....... some of them were daft or ridiculously fanatical but this lad was actually clinically insane. He travelled with us for a couple of seasons although there have been many who've come and gone, some totally forgotten and some who only lasted 1 game before being asked to make alternative arrangements.

But this lad never annoyed us enough or failed to cough up the petrol money or swerved his round in the pub ..... in fact he rarely spoke in the car and was picked up near Newark railway station, he never told us anything about himself or allowed us to collect us from his home.

After two seasons, in the 1980s, he vanished and we never saw him again. When we discussed him latet we all thought one of the others knew who he was and had invited him ........ we realised we didn't even know his name!!!!!

We'd only ever called him by the nickname he'd earned, The Scuttler.

That came from his habit of vanishing as soon as we parked up then meeting back up in the ground at some point with bloodied knuckles saying, "Scuttled a few of them Cockney/Scouse/Mag/ etc bastards." :eek:

He never invited us on his escapades, never mentioned them again or expected any praise, comments or recognition

I've no idea what happened to him or why he stopped going. I've asked the other lads, who travelled with us, and they've no idea either ...... just one of those daft lads who pass like ships in the night who've we've all met over the years.

When I was at West Ham & Southampton I bumped into loads of the old faces and it set me thinking, hence this post ........ so haway, cast yer minds back and post some of the characters you've met over the years and, if you don't like the thread or the poster, just pass on by .....

Last edited:

Is it Mag Catcher who answered a Friday night plea, on RTG, to collect 2 tickets for the away FA Cup match at Bolton from a stranger, pay for them and deliver them to another complete stranger ...... not only that but he met us, insisted on buying us a pint and wouldn't let us pay him extra for driving to Whitley Bay late on a Friday night.

Or was it a lad we met at Southampton on Wednesday who travelled down with his dad and was staying overnight ....... not only that but he's down for the Bournemouth weekend with some kids who he takes when their dad's can't make it.

Was it the 2 'hippies' from Cumbria who rescued us from a pasting at Bristol City and used to find it hilarious to get us plastered in the Continental knowing we couldn't drive home and would end up sleeping 5 to a car at the back of the Boilermakers.

No, despite their claims, and those of hundreds more over 40 years, there's only one who can truly claim the crown ....... some of them were daft or ridiculously fanatical but this lad was actually made in a clinical insane.

He travelled with us for a couple of seasons although there have been many who've come and gone, some totally forgotten and some who only lasted 1 game before being asked to make alternative arrangements.

But this lad never annoyed us enough or failed to cough up the petrol money or swerved his round in the pub ..... in fact he rarely spoke in the car and was picked up near Newark railway station, he never told us anything about himself or allowed us to collect us from his home.

After two seasons, in the 1980s, he vanished and we never saw him again. When we discussed him latet we all thought one of the others knew who he was and had invited him ........ we realised we didn't even know his name!!!!!

That came from his habit of vanishing as soon as we parked up then meeting back up in the ground at some point with bloodied knuckles saying, "Scuttled a few of them Cockney/Scouse/Mag/ etc bastards." :eek:

He never invited us on his escapades, never mentioned them again or expected any praise, comments or recognition

I've no idea what happened to him or why he stopped going. I've asked the other lads, who travelled with us, and they've no idea either ...... just one of those daft lads who pass like ships in the night who've we've all met over the years.

When I was at West Ham & Southampton I bumped into loads of the old faces and it set me thinking, hence this post ........ so haway, cast yer minds back and post some of the characters you've met over the years and, if you don't like the thread or the poster, just pass on by .....

the mind boggles with that "Nick"

No, despite their claims, and those of hundreds more over 40 years, there's only one who can truly claim the crown ....... some of them were daft or ridiculously fanatical but this lad was actually clinically insane. He travelled with us for a couple of seasons although there have been many who've come and gone, some totally forgotten and some who only lasted 1 game before being asked to make alternative arrangements.

I have to say I can't remember a lot of the names of the random people I met on away days but enjoyed some fantastic times. Flanny was a star when I travelled regularly on his buses.
One of the daft things that sticks in me mind was when we went to Amsterdam for pre season. We were on the train from the airport, it was full of Sunderland supporters and a Dutch bloke asked a Sunderland fan where he was from. The Sunderland supporter said "Southwick" when the Dutch bloke looked puzzled the Sunderland supporter said "you don't know where it is, it's near Marley Potts man"
For some reason that sticks in me mind and always makes me chuckle :lol:

Good read.

used to drive one of these, if I remember rightly,
http://www.argos.co.uk/product/3213760

There was a lad called Harry Friskin (Fiskin) in the late 70's from Hendon. Chucked a stanley knife at Peter Shilton from the Fulwell End, allegedly. Total nutter - 'Crazy Harry'. Also a lad called 'The Bear' who always wore a white lab coat to the match
"The Bear" was the nickname given to my Headteacher at Houghton Grammar. Probably the same bloke!

Last edited:
Did this skinhead have some teeth missing and also had a tattoo of a scorpion on either his neck or his head ?

Can't remember if it was a scorpion, but did have a tattoo on his neck when it was only wrongun's who did it, not hipsters & male models like now. Absolutely fearsome looking fella who you wouldn't forget in a hurry. Was on my bus down to the infamous Milk Cup Semi Final at Chelsea.
By the way, he wasn't just a random bald bloke, he was a a proper massive skinheed. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back