It's been nearly 24 years..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newcastle university always got decent bands on back in the day. I seen the likes of Blur and Pulp there.

Best band I saw at Newcastle Uni was Supergrass. Saw some pretty big bands there when they were first starting out.
Remember seeing Muse there supported by Coldplay in maybe 1999 when Coldplay had only had "Shiver" out.

All of those are from way before Nirvana's time man woman man, not a single grunge / alternative artist on the list (or anyone really relevant from the 90's onward)- I'd question the person who complied that article to be fair :lol:.
OK, add a few more...... (modern). As an aside, I either think every band changed the world ( butterfly effect) or none did. But I'm interested in the thread.

Best band I saw at Newcastle Uni was Supergrass. Saw some pretty big bands there when they were first starting out.
Remember seeing Muse there supported by Coldplay in maybe 1999 when Coldplay had only had "Shiver" out.

Newcastle university used to get some cracking gigs from late 80s through to late 90s. Think I saw Coldplay there the year after just before they released yellow and the balloon went up. Best band I saw there was Gomez supporting Stereophonics. Kind of a ‘who the fuck are these’ moment!!

Probably get hammered for it but I still think Coldplays debut is a very good record.

I was a white kid once, I was also into Nirvana and Tupac (loved my Gangster Rap back in the day) - kind of blows that stereotype fella as I'm nigh on certain I was never an "angry black man" :lol:.
Same here, as white middle class as they come but I loved Nirvana, NWA, Snoop, Tupac Springsteen and even Belinda Carlisle :cool:
Music crosses all spectrums, it's up to you what you take out of it.

Newcastle university used to get some cracking gigs from late 80s through to late 90s. Think I saw Coldplay there the year after just before they released yellow and the balloon went up. Best band I saw there was Gomez supporting Stereophonics. Kind of a ‘who the fuck are these’ moment!!

Just looked it up and Muse were there May 31st 2000, which is the gig i seen as ties in with where I was working and the lass I was with at the time. Coldplay released Yellow on 24th June 2000 (i only know this because I looked it up).

Used to love Gomez.

Most of their stuff after that is dross tbf

I'm not a fan, but I did like the first album at the time. I reckon I could cobble together a dozen songs for a best of that covered their whole career and quite enjoy it though. Violet Hill from about 2009 was a pretty good single by them i thought

Last edited:
Over rated imo maybe because I’m not into that type of music but I definitely think the fact Kurt Cobain topped himself created this legend type status he seems to hold.
When musicians die young fans idolise them even more and they become remembered as more than they actually were.

Music is of course, by definition, subjective. But anyone who doubts just how much Nirvana changed the world, from a musical and cultural perspective, is the type of person who would put Simply Red on a jukebox.

One of the few bands where ya never skipped a track. Every song was a good un.

My top 3....Frances Farmer will have her revenge on Seattle. Drain you. Aneurysm.

Just looked it up and Muse were there May 31st 2000, which is the gig i seen as ties in with where I was working and the lass I was with at the time. Coldplay released Yellow on 24th June 2000 (i only know this because I looked it up).

Used to love Gomez.

I'm not a fan, but I did like the first album at the time. I reckon I could cobble together a dozen songs for a best of that covered their whole career and quite enjoy it though. Violet Hill from about 2009 was a pretty good single by them i thought
First Gomez album still sounds class. They were touring it last year but I never bothered getting tickets.

Music is of course, by definition, subjective. But anyone who doubts just how much Nirvana changed the world, from a musical and cultural perspective, is the type of person who would put Simply Red on a jukebox.

One of the few bands where ya never skipped a track. Every song was a good un.

My top 3....Frances Farmer will have her revenge on Seattle. Drain you. Aneurysm.

Sad fact I found out the other day: Had the best selling album of 1991 & 1992. With the same album.

Never knew they played the Mayfair!!
You know of any footage ?

I’m having a few cans so I might put Incesticide on :lol:

Edit... hope you’re feeling ok now !!
we were at the mayfair that night. iirc they debuted smells like teen spirit on top of the pops that same night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back