It's been nearly 24 years..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was lucky enough to see them in Newcastle in the early nineties.

Still remember the gig and remember what I was doing when I heard of his death.

What a talent

Kurt Cobain 5th April 1994.
Then Oasis release Supersonic 11th April 1994. And so it goes
Yup, remember them both performing on the Word back in the day - mint ! (Noel was a big Nirvana fan btw).

What a talent
Agreed Tony, a truly sad f***ing day - I was gutted.

People are desperate for a messiah man. For the mags its Shearer (or Ant and Dec) for spotty White teenagers its Kurt Cobain. For angry Black men it's Tupac. They all want to believe that their hero was changing the world but the reality is far more mundane .

For people of a previous generation it was Lennon, and while the Beatles did have a big influence on pop music and culture, I don't know how massively different the world would have been if they didn't make it big. Someone else would have come along with the right mix and while the result would have been a bit different its all part of evolution.

I agree with the first half of your post, but i think you're underestimating the beatles influence a bit. Yes the gap would've been filled, but much of the music and culture we have now can be traced back to the Beatles really. Things would look different. Butterfly effect and all that.

As for Lennon, well noody listened to him other than for his music, same as Bono or any of those other self righteous arseholes with messiah complexes

What a talent

They played The Riverside as well as The Mayfair didn't they?

People are desperate for a messiah man. For the mags its Shearer (or Ant and Dec) for spotty White teenagers its Kurt Cobain. For angry Black men it's Tupac. They all want to believe that their hero was changing the world but the reality is far more mundane .

For people of a previous generation it was Lennon, and while the Beatles did have a big influence on pop music and culture, I don't know how massively different the world would have been if they didn't make it big. Someone else would have come along with the right mix and while the result would have been a bit different its all part of evolution.
Or how about just letting people believe in what they want? It's pretty harmless really. A certain song/band might mean a lot to me, but nothing to someone else. It's all important but irrelevant at the same time.

I agree with the first half of your post, but i think you're underestimating the beatles influence a bit. Yes the gap would've been filled, but much of the music and culture we have now can be traced back to the Beatles really. Things would look different. Butterfly effect and all that.

As for Lennon, well noody listened to him other than for his music, same as Bono or any of those other self righteous arseholes with messiah complexes

Aye they played the Riverside too in 1989.

Yep

I was a white kid once, I was also into Nirvana and Tupac (loved my Gangster Rap back in the day) - kind of blows that stereotype fella as I'm nigh on certain I was never an "angry black man" :lol:.

Or how about just letting people believe in what they want? It's pretty harmless really. A certain song/band might mean a lot to me, but nothing to someone else. It's all important but irrelevant at the same time.
Exactly my point but exactly where did I even give a hint that people shouldn't be allowed to believe in what they want?

Many/most of us are/were idealistic at a certain age but with time become a bit more realistic, grounded, whatever and with that, less adoring of pop culture icons who we may have thought might change the world but in reality like all of us they were human, often with 'feet of clay'.

I saw Nirvana at Newcastle riverside by mistake when I went to see Tad. Think it was a joint headline tour. I’d never heard of Nirvana. The place was pretty empty. Probably late 80’s.
Was a cracking venue the riverside. I saw the smashing pumpkins there too when they were touring “gish”. It was so loud that I was scared.
The stone roses played in Sunderland early on I’m sure. At the Kasbah I think. I never saw that one like. Not sure many did as nobody had heard of them

Exactly my point but exactly where did I even give a hint that people shouldn't be allowed to believe in what they want?

Many/most of us are/were idealistic at a certain age but with time become a bit more realistic, grounded, whatever and with that, less adoring of pop culture icons who we may have thought might change the world but in reality like all of us they were human, often with 'feet of clay'.
I'm very much in a "I'll listen to owt" bracket if I'm honest. I find musical influence for me comes from peers and family. Stuff my parents listened to and older siblings mixed with what was in at the time, or who I happened to be knocking about with. Basically if it makes my foot tap, I can get away with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back