It's back - World Cup qualifying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeah, same. I will tune in on Wednesday for Defoe and possibly the U21s for Pickford, but it's class the way they have split the UEFA qualifying games over days and Sky show them all. A bit of a shame the way the schedule has worked this round as on Saturday, particularly the 5pm games, it is pretty poor, whereas 7.45 on Sunday they are 4 decent enough games:

Group C - Northern Ireland vs Norway, 7.45pm
Group E - Montenegro vs Poland, 7.45pm
Group E - Romania vs Denmark, 7.45pm
Group F - Scotland vs Slovenia, 7.45pm

All those games are competitive and you've obviously got home interest in 2 of those, whereas nothing really stands out amongst this lot:

Group A - Sweden vs Belarus, 5pm
Group B - Andorra vs Faroe Islands, 5pm
Group B - Switerland vs Latvia, 5pm
Group H - Bosnia vs Gibraltar, 5pm
Group H - Cyprus vs Estonia, 5pm

@Jay - will there be an international special #MysticJaysy this week?
Will be rustling up something before Saturday's games matey, reckon I can win us all a fortune :cool:
Love a good international special me

Massive game for your lot, you'd just about say 'must win' already if you are to have any real hope of making the playoffs after dropping points at home to Lithuania earlier in the campaign.

The squad does look better though with the new additions. Cairney to start you reckon?

Don't think so, Strachan just pulls names out of a hat. Chuffed Hanley is out like, seen tankers off Roker move quicker than him.

Don't think so, Strachan just pulls names out of a hat. Chuffed Hanley is out like, seen tankers off Roker move quicker than him.

Thing is, the alternatives won't be much better. Berra / Mulgrew / Martin are pretty average and getting on. Not sure how many games Cooper has played for Leeds either this season, he might have played a few at full back as Bartley and Jansson seem their preferred CB partnership (unless they play 3 at the back). Also just seen that you have 4 players who can play LB in there, but nobody seemingly at RB since Hutton retired?

That's the majority. Think Denayer might be in the Belgian U21 squad, but no Janujaz in either. Gooch hasn't been called up by the States. Looks like Gibson has been left out of Irelands. No Kone or Papy in their respective squads. No Love for Scotland either.

That young Brotherton lad is in the NZ squad though.

Any other position and I reckon 'Gibbo' would have been included as they are dropping like flies in terms of defenders and strikers.

Looking forward to hitting The Aviva on Friday night, hoping Bale has an off night mind!!

Gibson wouldn't have been called up regardless, Martin named a 35+ panel (obviously it was being cut down) and there was no sign of Darron.

After the disappointment of Saturday, it's great that we have the return of World Cup qualifying to look forward to this week with big games in the UEFA, CONCACAF and CONMEBOL confederations, as well as AFC (Asia) and OFC (Oceania).

On Wednesday, Germany face England in a friendly in Dortmund, while Scotland host Canada with both games kicking off at 7.45pm.

There are 6 Asian qualifiers on Thursday afternoon with UAE vs Japan (3.30pm UK time) probably the most interesting with both teams still in qualifying contention. Other games include China vs South Korea (11.35am) and Iraq vs Australia (12pm).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_–_AFC_Third_Round

The first of the CONMEBOL double header takes place later that evening. It's looking like 5 from 6 meaning that one notable name will miss out altogether. Colombia currently sit in 6th place but will be hoping to put pressure on the sides above them with victory at home to Bolivia (8.30pm), while Uruguay vs Brazil (11pm) and Argentina vs Chile (11.30pm) both look very good games in prospect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(CONMEBOL)

Friday sees the return of the UEFA campaign with 2 games at 5pm including a tricky away match for Serbia in Georgia in Group D which also involves Ireland and Wales who meet at the Aviva Stadium at 7.45pm in the pick of the evening games. Croatia vs Ukraine (7.45) sees first take on second in Group I.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(UEFA)

Later that evening sees the return of the CONCACAF 'Hex' with all 6 nations playing their first of 2 matches. Trinidad vs Panama (11pm), Mexico vs Costa Rica (1.50am) in a battle of the current top two and a crucial match for the USA who have lost both of their matches thus far when they entertain Honduras (2.50am).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_–_CONCACAF_Fifth_Round

The UEFA schedule for Saturday looks particularly poor. Sweden vs Belarus is probably the best of a very bad bunch of 5pm kick offs. The evening session (all 7.45pm) is a bit better with a clash between Belgium and Greece, the current top 2 in Group H, while Portugal (second) host Hungary (third) in Group B.

England are at home to Lithuania at 5pm on the Sunday and there are 4 decent matches later that evening with crucial matches for both Northern Ireland (home to Norway) and Scotland (home to Slovenia).

This round of qualifying matches concludes on Tuesday with games in the Asian, CONMEBOL and CONCACAF sections. Australia vs UAE (10am) again looks the pick of the AFC games while Ecuador vs Colombia (10pm) stands out in South America. Chile and Brazil both should have routine home fixtures vs Venezuela and Paraguay respectively, while Argentina travel to Bolivia (9pm).

Finally, Honduras take on Costa Rica (10pm), Trinidad host Mexico (12am) and USA travel to Panama (3.05am) in another crucial match for them where they will need at least 4 points from their 2 games to get back in qualifying contention.

As always, there will be plenty of English commentary streams available for these evening CONCACAF / CONMEBOL games and most of them are at decent enough times - I just wish Sky or someone picked up the coverage for them.

The return of #realfootball :cool:
great post tx , loads of good games to look forward to here especially the south american games.
I don't watch freindlies like.

great post tx , loads of good games to look forward to here especially the south american games.
I don't watch freindlies like.

Indeed, loads of good games there Tapsy and most at decent times in the South American zone. I've actually got Thursday off work (lots to use before end of financial year) so might actually watch the Australia match as well :cool:

Thing is, the alternatives won't be much better. Berra / Mulgrew / Martin are pretty average and getting on. Not sure how many games Cooper has played for Leeds either this season, he might have played a few at full back as Bartley and Jansson seem their preferred CB partnership (unless they play 3 at the back). Also just seen that you have 4 players who can play LB in there, but nobody seemingly at RB since Hutton retired?

I'm 42, I've had 7 knee operations and I would still be a better option than Hanley! My guess would be Berra and Martin.

Some interesting results earlier. Australia could only draw with Iraq and China beat South Korea.

I might actually try and find a link for United Arab Emirates and Japan.

Some interesting results earlier. Australia could only draw with Iraq and China beat South Korea.

I might actually try and find a link for United Arab Emirates and Japan.

Syria beat Uzbekistan as well. That leaves Iran in a strong position in group A, even if they jusy draw in Qatar later on. The Aussies could be in a battle for a playoff spot if they keep drawing.

YouTube stream here for Japan but you can't see the score or mins which is a bit annoying.

Syria beat Uzbekistan as well. That leaves Iran in a strong position in group A, even if they jusy draw in Qatar later on. The Aussies could be in a battle for a playoff spot if they keep drawing.

Yeah, would be a shame if Australia didn't make the World Cup. Big game against UAE next week. Saudi look in a decent position.

I'd keep an eye on that Argentina game. They're making heavy weather of qualifying and if Chile turn them over they might be in trouble. It's between them, Ecuador, Colombia and Chile for a qualifying place or a playoff against New Zealand (which is more or less qualifying),

I hate international football but I'm looking forward to this break for two reasons.

1. Bohs's game against Drogheda United is moved to Saturday at 5.30pm. So I can go to Drogheda and get a few pints before the game and stay in Drogheda for a few after the game. And still be in for last orders down the local.

2. I don't have to suffer watch us.
I'm thoroughly pissed off with it. Back to work Monday, by that time I'll have been home three weeks and seen 1 match. Not the first time this season either.

Japan winning 2-0. Final whistle just gone.

I'd keep an eye on that Argentina game. They're making heavy weather of qualifying and if Chile turn them over they might be in trouble. It's between them, Ecuador, Colombia and Chile for a qualifying place or a playoff against New Zealand (which is more or less qualifying),

I think I'll watch that one, or certainly the first half.

I'm thoroughly pissed off with it. Back to work Monday, by that time I'll have been home three weeks and seen 1 match. Not the first time this season either.
I've been told that I should put country before club but I think that's a heap of rubbish. I much prefer the tribalism of club football. Supporting SAFC is like being part of group or a club rather than just following a team.

I know by Saturday I'll be wishing we had a game. I'm just lucky my local team are playing.

I've been told that I should put country before club but I think that's a heap of rubbish. I much prefer the tribalism of club football. Supporting SAFC is like being part of group or a club rather than just following a team.

I know by Saturday I'll be wishing we had a game. I'm just lucky my local team are playing.
I gave up watching England when the players stopped playing for their country, saying that I've always put Sunderland a long way in front of England, even when they were worth supporting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back