It's a sin - channel 4

2 episodes in excellent so far
Some very valid points, and points I've already made. Characters have no depth, and it's not done in a very serious way. The sex scenes are comical and the likes of Colin were a bit a joke character, so even when he went the journey it wasn't very hard hitting I've enjoyed what I've seen so far (three episodes) but was surprised with the comments about it being outstanding, had people in tears and predictions it'll win numerous awards. Its a decent watch, sheds some light on what it was like for gay men back then (which some will have been unaware of) and is entertaining. But that's as far as it goes.

But its meant to be both isn't it

it wouldn't work if it was 10 parter emotional wreck of a piece that move at a snails pace

Its done in a very watchable way
The main issue has always been with straight blokes. Women rarely have a problem with it. Think it's pathetic blokes feeling threatened. But as they are proper blerks they only have a problem with gay men. They don't mind lesbians (cos ya knar, fwooar two women, them joining in n that - yep as if baldy). :lol:

Aye, I lived in north east till I was 21, and had really only mixed with people exactly the same as myself, I think thats how it builds up, its people who never actual mix with people of different sexualities or races, that build up prejudices.

I move abroad at 21, an one of my first best mates there was a gay bloke, and thats all it took for me to realise none of it matters like. But I can't see I wouldn't have kept those prejudices if I hadnt moved away, some of my oldest mates from home are very narrow minded

Last edited:
Some very valid points, and points I've already made. Characters have no depth, and it's not done in a very serious way. The sex scenes are comical and the likes of Colin were a bit a joke character, so even when he went the journey it wasn't very hard hitting I've enjoyed what I've seen so far (three episodes) but was surprised with the comments about it being outstanding, had people in tears and predictions it'll win numerous awards. Its a decent watch, sheds some light on what it was like for gay men back then (which some will have been unaware of) and is entertaining. But that's as far as it goes.

I didn’t find that at all :(

Anybody else watched it? Either 1st episode last Friday or all 5 on all4.
Made my way through them before and after the match yesterday and was just blown away by how good it was yet shocking too. I've always realised how naive I am coming from a small pit village and was born 84 so I wanted to watch it to learn but also I do love 80's music and the program is full of classics. What was an eye opener was how opinions of aids we see similar today with covid, those who believe those who have conspiracy theories either way people were and are dying alone

I worked in the NHS (managing a Community Programme) at the time and had to attend a seminar on what Aids/HIV was. I'd informed myself as far as possible so, iirc, didn't learn a lot that was hugely shocking. Except that this was the time and place when I learned what 'rimming' was/is. The lass who was training and mentioned the word as a possible method of transmission was a tad embarrassed when somebody asked (not me, I'm timid) what it was

Gets told he's riddled and then he's back home and trying to roll about with someone ffs :lol:

Was hoping it'd kick on in the later episodes but not for me. It's worth a watch, raises a bit of awareness of yesteryear but no depth to the writing. Not that that's a bad thing, but it needs much more IMO to justify some of the reviews.

Edit. It's got fatty Fry in though, so it's a thumbs up.

Last edited:

Back