It's a sin - channel 4

You'd probably enjoy Paris Is Burning, which I thought was really a moving documentary. Is about the ballroom scene (mothers, houses and shade etc. and the creation of a little world that was theirs in a wider world that hated them) rather than directly about AIDS, but inevitably AIDS casts a massive shadow over the whole thing.

Watched Paris is Burning at the weekend, thoroughly enjoyed it, thanks for suggesting Marra. I can see where Pose got its characters, plotlines and settings from Now.

The more I’ve thought about it, my opinion has changed slightly. Thought it was a bit repetitive, slightly far fetched and the main characters death.

Still decent though.

Just finished it.
Outstanding stuff. I thought 5 episodes was right, sometimes you watch a Netflix series and what could be a 90 minute film is stretched out over 10 episodes, this was well paced and there wasn't a wasted scene.

I'm sorry but it's poor. I'm a huge believer in promotion of LGBT rights and I acknowledge the gay people suffer worse discrimination than any other identified group but I can't be arsed watching anymore.

The characters are completely one dimensional, the script is clichéd and predictable. Even the acting is hammy. The story lines are simplistic. The whole thing feels completely mickey mouse. It's like they have taken a very serious and adult topic and presented it on the style of a kids bbc drama. I really don't understand the hype.

I didn’t fancy it much (mostly cause I’m a miserable twat who automatically goes against anything that gets instant hype) but was sold pretty quickly on the first episode. The Colin episode was very well done, quite moving.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry but it's poor. I'm a huge believer in promotion of LGBT rights and I acknowledge the gay people suffer worse discrimination than any other identified group but I can't be arsed watching anymore.

The characters are completely one dimensional, the script is clichéd and predictable. Even the acting is hammy. The story lines are simplistic. The whole thing feels completely mickey mouse. It's like they have taken a very serious and adult topic and presented it on the style of a kids bbc drama. I really don't understand the hype.
IMO if you're purposely watching out for things like character depth from the off I'd be very surprised if there's many things you would enjoy tbh.

Aye, some things benefit from that type of thing but in those cases you don't really have to look out for it it just strikes you as you watch, it's how they tell the story.

However this for me though was just an entertaining show which told a very poignant story along the way.

As someone who lived through a large period of when it was set in London who has and had many gay friends who are in their 50s is far more accurate than you woudl believe.

When I first moved to London worked for Bass Charrington in central London. They were forerunners with some of the gay scene certainly for chains. My district manager had 3 or 4 pubs that were gay in his portfolio of 20 or so so I got to know if the lads quite well and the stories told from those pubs were very eye-opening as a 20 year old from the north east

Not sure you were watching the same thing as everyone else to be honest

The exact opposite of this.

Some very valid points, and points I've already made. Characters have no depth, and it's not done in a very serious way. The sex scenes are comical and the likes of Colin were a bit a joke character, so even when he went the journey it wasn't very hard hitting I've enjoyed what I've seen so far (three episodes) but was surprised with the comments about it being outstanding, had people in tears and predictions it'll win numerous awards. Its a decent watch, sheds some light on what it was like for gay men back then (which some will have been unaware of) and is entertaining. But that's as far as it goes.

Last edited:

Yes, very much my view. The characters are more like caricatures. It is poorly written. That said we are only 3 episodes in and the last one regarding Colin was moving. It seems that the writer gets hype for who he is rather than the quality of his writing.

I enjoyed it but didn't think it was particularly groundbreaking or was intended to be. I imagine the sex being portrayed as jokey is because anything too serious would possibly put some viewers off. Russell T Davies has probably achieved what he wanted in showing those viewers who weren't around during those times what went on. The fact that people have mentioned here that they had no idea of what it was like in the 80s reflects that he's accomplished that.

Back