It's a sin - channel 4

Yes, very much my view. The characters are more like caricatures. It is poorly written. That said we are only 3 episodes in and the last one regarding Colin was moving. It seems that the writer gets hype for who he is rather than the quality of his writing.

I can tell you in the gay community there were many real life caricatures

I knew one lad Derek who was as mad as they come. Ended up doing a runner with a weekends takings from the rat and parrot where he worked in covent garden.. fled to Spain and died of AIDS within 6 months..

I can tell you in the gay community there were many real life caricatures

I knew one lad Derek who was as mad as they come. Ended up doing a runner with a weekends takings from the rat and parrot where he worked in covent garden.. fled to Spain and died of AIDS within 6 months..
Yes, I don't doubt you but the writing, for me is pretty superficial. Each point is made with a sledgehammer, there's no subtlety. The point it is correctly making is that if the disease affected all the population then the response would have been totally different. However, it is taking more extreme situations and passing them off as normal. The stark adverts came out in 1985 when I was at University and it was worrying for everyone yet the last episode suggested people were totally ignorant in 1986. Its OK but could have been done far better.

Yes, I don't doubt you but the writing, for me is pretty superficial. Each point is made with a sledgehammer, there's no subtlety. The point it is correctly making is that if the disease affected all the population then the response would have been totally different. However, it is taking more extreme situations and passing them off as normal. The stark adverts came out in 1985 when I was at University and it was worrying for everyone yet the last episode suggested people were totally ignorant in 1986. Its OK but could have been done far better.

I pretty much agree with this, also heterosexuals were just as terrified of catching it as the gay community.
It was only years later it turned out to affect them less, mainly due to anal sex and needles being the main form of transmission.
But the wife loved it and I thought the soundtrack was mint.

I pretty much agree with this, also heterosexuals were just as terrified of catching it as the gay community.
It was only years later it turned out to affect them less, mainly due to anal sex and needles being the main form of transmission.

The Soundtrack playlist on Spotify is brilliant

Keeley Hawes plays a blinder in the final episode. Makes you want to smash her face in.
I knew she would turn into a twat. She doesn't often play a nice character.
I remember being scared of catching it in the mid 90s. It took a while before people stopped caring again.

Last edited:
Some very valid points, and points I've already made. Characters have no depth, and it's not done in a very serious way. The sex scenes are comical and the likes of Colin were a bit a joke character, so even when he went the journey it wasn't very hard hitting I've enjoyed what I've seen so far (three episodes) but was surprised with the comments about it being outstanding, had people in tears and predictions it'll win numerous awards. Its a decent watch, sheds some light on what it was like for gay men back then (which some will have been unaware of) and is entertaining. But that's as far as it goes.

how long are you going to be stuck on episode 3 for ??!!!
I think I'll avoid it. I'm not a big fan of Keeley Hawes

only just twigged on she was the Home Secretary in Bodyguard.

Last edited:

Back