Is the Haka cultural appropriation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Or what?

You can't do your own thing back at them? Or just laugh even?

Genuinely don't know owt about this but that seems mental.
Yeah you can laugh. Similar to Borini vs krul. Or teams will walk towards them as it's going on, although that's rare. It's kind of an accepted cultural thing that they get to do, and everyone respects it. Fwiw I don't mind it, and it's f***ing class to see live.

Or what?

You can't do your own thing back at them? Or just laugh even?

Genuinely don't know owt about this but that seems mental.
Every time a team walks towards them the kiwis spit their dummy and bans and fines get thrown around

Still remember cockerill in 97 eyeballing then in the face just wanted him to smash the opposite number

Every time a team walks towards them the kiwis spit their dummy and bans and fines get thrown around

Still remember cockerill in 97 eyeballing then in the face just wanted him to smash the opposite number

Do people get banned and fined? I haven't heard of that ever happening and a few teams have advanced on the Haka

Chris Eubank has appropriated the look of a white upper class 1920's gentleman for years. I'm not upset about it like.

Saw plenty of white hippy types (and a few locals) with dreads in Sri Lanka last week.

I even experienced overt racism by a guard on a train over there. 24 people in the 2nd class bit I was in, about half white/western and half local. He was checking to make sure people had a valid 2nd class ticket (they have 3rd over there too) but the only people's ticket he asked to look at were the whites/westerners. I could imagine the fuss that would be kicked up if a white guard walked up and down A ECML train just checking the tickets of non-whites!

Yes

France for example were fined £2500 in 2011 for standing up to the haka.

Like I said. The kiwis are pretentious arseholes who spit their dummies out when people accept the challenge.

I hadn’t heard that but it seems to be a rugby world cup thing

The IRB stated “as with other in-tournament breaches of the tournament cultural ritual protocol and as per pre-tournament communication with teams, RWCL will impose the standard sanction of £2,500 (€2,875)”.

The all blacks management were actually against the fine and believe it was wrongly imposed

Are the people getting worked up about an expression of cultural identity the same ones who want to get their country back with Brexit? :)

My thoughts;: I’m all for the celebration of diversity and the avoidance Of homogenous approaches to most things.

Imagine how shite music would be without any cultural appropriation. It's not always bad.

I think it all comes down to how equal the exchange is. The haka and the Asian guy running a chippy are fine in my book. Pretty much anything the Americans have taken from the native Americans for example (head dresses at festivals, vision quests, etc) isn't. I've let me snowflake membership expire though so might be out of touch on what the official line is.

Ironically, the end game of diversity will be a beige bland world where everywhere is the same.
And the ironic part of this thread being the haka is a dance most famous for being used in rugby union, which new zealand culturally appropriated from England. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back