Is the Haka cultural appropriation?

I’ve advocated doing our national dance for years now. Altogether now: “You put your right leg in, your right leg out.....”

Surely the England sides response should be this.

And at the risk of being called a pedant aren’t they just called Haka’s and not The Haka?

Well I’m not sure. But I was thinking of that lass who got lamblasted (sic) for wearing a Chinese dress to her prom a while back or someone who got shouted at for putting cornrows in her hair, and I was watching a load of white blokes doing a Maori dance just there and wondered how they can get away with it when others can’t.

(For the record, I don’t think my two examples are cultural appropriation)

Which ironically wasn't some ancient Chinese cultural treasure but a westernised style that originated in Shanghai in the 20th century. Still, you can't expect the virtue signalling Chinese American idiot who led the charge against her to know that when he's barely spent any of his life in China.

"Our" version of "their" Hakka would be summick like the kids used to sing in the old days, "you're gonna get your f*ckin heads kicked in". That would be as unacceptable nowadays as theirs should be now. Nowt "cultural" about it, as proven by offspring of colonialists doing it. other groups,with tenuous links to "that sort of thing", do a version as well. It's all made up shit. Opposition shouldn't just stand there and watch it. They should take the piss or do their own stereotyped, cliched performance thinly related to their nation/state/ethnicity/sexual preference/favourite tellytubby, or any other IRRELEVANT shite. Mebees we could do a version of p*ssing in bus shelters or shop doorways. What about foreign ringers playing for money teams they've no connection with? Those poor b*st*rds must be stressed to feck. National anthems should be enough - no other shite allowed.

Maybe it is......as it's conducted but players not from Maori descendants.......but no one seems bothered so it's not an issue

They were discussing on BBC breakfast how opposing players should deal with the psychology of the haka before matches.............I say mid routine they get the tannoy announcer to play "the Macarena" by los del rio.

Maybe it is......as it's conducted but players not from Maori descendants.......but no one seems bothered so it's not an Issue

That was kind of my point. People (the media?) lose their shit about white people having corn rows in their hair but white people doing a Maori dance every week when they have no claim to the heritage is fine apparently.

I think that when someone posts a subject followed only by "discuss" it just demonstrates that the OP wants to see which way the wind of opinion is blowing before saying what he/she thinks, which is then questionable.

Not having the courage of one's own convictions methinks!

I think that when someone posts a subject followed only by "discuss" it just demonstrates that the OP wants to see which way the wind of opinion is blowing before saying what he/she thinks, which is then questionable.

Not having the courage of one's own convictions methinks!

But Is that not more objective? Giving the opportunity to express opinions on all sides rather than influencing the discussion before it's started with loaded statement?

Back