Is Sunderland a city of the future?

The absolute state of this man :lol: :lol:

And the new trend seems to be shitty AI pictures to spread shite and lies. Like those Proud to Be English and the Bad Brown People posts that are going about. Faux outrage spread by gammons who don’t have a clue.

————————————————-

SUNDERLAND CITY COUNCIL, what have you done to OUR 'city' centre? I've had to pop into town for less than an hour, and the place isn't what it once used to be. There's no buzz, no pride, no shops, absolutely nothing worth the parking fee of £3.20 for the hours mooch around. It truly saddens me having to witness its downfall in recent years.

Before anyone says 'it's because of online shopping blah blah blah' its not just down to that. Its down to ripping the heart out of the place with high rents, disgusting parking charges and no money getting pumped into the older parts of the town.

Here's an idea....why don't you try lowering the business rates for a year, which might attract new business. Trial a week's free parking to boost footfall. Have regular open markets on Keel Square, everyone loves an open market (well I do). Heck, just try something new and innovative, instead of the numerous new car parks popping up to grab more money!!

There's also the ongoing crime, kids getting mugged at night. Its not a safe place anymore!!

"GIVE THE PEOPLE OF SUNDERLAND OUR PRIDE BACK"

Share if you agree, let's grab the council's attention!!

AI IMAGE USED TO GRAB ATTENTION

Logon or register to see this image

Why do people still think the council set business rates & own all the buildings that pay rent.

And the new trend seems to be shitty AI pictures to spread shite and lies. Like those Proud to Be English and the Bad Brown People posts that are going about. Faux outrage spread by gammons who don’t have a clue.

————————————————-

SUNDERLAND CITY COUNCIL, what have you done to OUR 'city' centre? I've had to pop into town for less than an hour, and the place isn't what it once used to be. There's no buzz, no pride, no shops, absolutely nothing worth the parking fee of £3.20 for the hours mooch around. It truly saddens me having to witness its downfall in recent years.

Before anyone says 'it's because of online shopping blah blah blah' its not just down to that. Its down to ripping the heart out of the place with high rents, disgusting parking charges and no money getting pumped into the older parts of the town.

Here's an idea....why don't you try lowering the business rates for a year, which might attract new business. Trial a week's free parking to boost footfall. Have regular open markets on Keel Square, everyone loves an open market (well I do). Heck, just try something new and innovative, instead of the numerous new car parks popping up to grab more money!!

There's also the ongoing crime, kids getting mugged at night. Its not a safe place anymore!!

How many times do you have to tell these thickos?
Business rates are set by central government. And why do they think every building in the town is owned by the council?

————————————————-

I haven't read the post but I guess it's someone having a go at out city centre.

Just to add my bit, I was at that metropolis Manchester yesterday for work and it was a bit of a ghost town, few people walking about, loads of homeless in shop doorways. Even the very big cities have their problems

I replied on that post, it hasn't went well as the comments are mostly against the poster
The comments are mainly against it, but I'm disappointed to see its got over 300 likes.
And I'm also disappointed to see its the person who runs the page that has posted it.
Why do people still think the council set business rates & own all the buildings that pay rent.
It's absolutely mental. It gets pointed out again and again, but the idiots still repeat it constantly.

Last edited:

————————————————-

Tremendous spelling of Sunderland.
Not that there’s any point in picking an argument apart but how can car parks be making money if nobody is going to the city centre?

The comments are mainly against it, but I'm disappointed to see its got over 300 likes.
And I'm also disappointed to see its the person who runs the page that has posted it.

It's absolutely mental. It gets pointed out again and again, but the idiots still repeat it constantly.
I once asked someone ranting about city car parks, if they would be OK leaving the car unsupervised with no security.

I got told the car would need to be safe and it is up to car park owners like the council tk make sure it is, so I then followed up with so who pays for this when you don't want to pay for parking.

I once asked someone ranting about city car parks, if they would be OK leaving the car unsupervised with no security.

I got told the car would need to be safe and it is up to car park owners like the council tk make sure it is, so I then followed up with so who pays for this when you don't want to pay for parking.

Cracking point.

Tremendous spelling of Sunderland.
Not that there’s any point in picking an argument apart but how can car parks be making money if nobody is going to the city centre?
We don’t even have loads of car parks anyways yet they still repeat it.

We have the new car park gone up on Farringdon Row which will be predominately serving Eye Infirmary staff/visitors once it’s up. It’ll also be used for staff in the new office buildings and match day crowds once the new footbridge is complete.

Then you have the car park going on the Sinatras site which is a replacement for the car park we lost when knocking down the Civic. It’s only ground level so it’ll be a net loss for spaces.

Free parking is withing the council's remit, but yes, it would have to be paid for from somewhere else in the council's budget, which these idiots don't seem to care about.

There's also loads of nuggets who say because Sunderland doesn't offer free parking so they drive to the metrocentre which does, spending more on petrol anyway. There's also others who say they go to the galleries instead and it's "always packed". I haven't been to the galleries for a while, but I assume it has a worse selection of shops than Sunderland does.
We don’t even have loads of car parks anyways yet they still repeat it.

We have the new car park gone up on Farringdon Row which will be predominately serving Eye Infirmary staff/visitors once it’s up. It’ll also be used for staff in the new office buildings and match day crowds once the new footbridge is complete.

Then you have the car park going on the Sinatras site which is a replacement for the car park we lost when knocking down the Civic. It’s only ground level so it’ll be a net loss for spaces.
WE DON'T NEED CAR PARKS, WE NEED SHOPS!!!!

Er, there's loads of empty shops in town, surely we don't need more shops, but businesses to fill up the shops? Businesses need customers, which imo, the council is working on.

Last edited:
Dont understand the argument around free parking - There isnt one city in the country where you can park in and around its centre for free, why should Sunderland be any different

Back