IPL starts 9/4/21. Match schedule listing

the advice in Australia is not to travel overseas

I do have sympathy with people stuck abroad, but I dunno considering how few risks have Australia have took, I’m not sure what they were expecting

just reading IPL chairman says it’s unlikely to go ahead this month but they will complete it

that will be interesting if the English lads fly back out again!
It’s a right shit storm isn’t it

I think you are misremembering, cases were rising and rising when the IPL started.

The England tests were ages ago, the T20s and ODIs had no crowds, it was getting worse and worse.

Not wanting to antagonise here but you are simply getting your timeline wrong.
The second T20 on March 14th had a crowd. It was packed in fact, with no masks or distancing etc. It wasn’t until the 3rd T20 two days later they went behind closed doors.

That’s only a few weeks, in the grand scheme it’s nothing. What I’m saying is that it’s entirely understandable that players would expect it to be ok given we’d just completed a two month tour there, fans had been allowed back in & with bio secure bubbles and the rest of it. IMO.

I think we broadly agree on most points regarding this. I’m just slightly less condemning of the players than you are.

It’s up for debate whether we should even have been touring SA and the sub continent in the first place, although as a fan & cricket lover I’m glad we did. Having packed stadiums over there always struck me as insane and asking for trouble.
First tweet in 202 Slater

and second

the empathy point is interesting given he hasn’t commented at all apparently, it’s just self interest. He is in Maldives or something right now apparently
I’ve never liked him and always thought he was a whiney twat to be honest, so I’m not surprised by any of that.

Last edited:
The second T20 on March 14th had a crowd. It was packed in fact, with no masks or distancing etc. It wasn’t until the 3rd T20 two days later they went behind closed doors.

That’s only a few weeks, in the grand scheme it’s nothing. What I’m saying is that it’s entirely understandable that players would expect it to be ok given we’d just completed a two month tour there, fans had been allowed back in & with bio secure bubbles and the rest of it. IMO.

I think we broadly agree on most points regarding this. I’m just slightly less condemning of the players than you are.

It’s up for debate whether we should even have been touring SA and the sub continent in the first place, although as a fan & cricket lover I’m glad we did. Having packed stadiums over there always struck me as insane and asking for trouble.

I’ve never liked him and always thought he was a whiney twat to be honest, so I’m not surprised by any of that.

fair play mate

Just making the point though that South Africa did not have a high rate, it wasn't anywhere near what India had, even during that T20 series

England players were upset with the bubble more than anything, but life was pretty normal soon after that tour.

You make some valid points, but I think it would have taken a lot for them not to tour India considering the money involved

This is kind of the point Graeme Smith made after Australia pulled out of their tour

fair play mate

Just making the point though that South Africa did not have a high rate, it wasn't anywhere near what India had, even during that T20 series

England players were upset with the bubble more than anything, but life was pretty normal soon after that tour.

You make some valid points, but I think it would have taken a lot for them not to tour India considering the money involved

This is kind of the point Graeme Smith made after Australia pulled out of their tour
Leaving SA seemed odd to me at the time, we’d nearly completed the tour and the situation there didn’t appear bad, certainly not India levels anyway.

If what you say is right & it was on Morgan’s insistence then it raises more questions about his captaincy at the moment, but that’s probably a topic for another thread.

Either don’t go or go & see it through, otherwise the measures you’ve taken aren’t strong enough to warrant you being there in the first place.

That said, again I do have some sympathy. These are strange times & circumstances so my default position in almost all cases seems to be trying to have some understanding.

Seeing players on a plane dressed like something Straight Outta Chernobyl is mental and makes playing cricket look a complete farce.

Will the World Cup be in doubt or is that too far away to say

The next one in two years is in Australia, if the BCCI wasn't so obstinate then it would just be switched - much better for the players as once they're through their quarantine then it's life as normal in Oz. Also probably bigger crowds than anywhere else in the world as Australia have life back to normal, but people can't spend their money going abroad - so, in theory, have more spending money (and holiday time) for tickets for the cricket.

The next one in two years is in Australia, if the BCCI wasn't so obstinate then it would just be switched - much better for the players as once they're through their quarantine then it's life as normal in Oz. Also probably bigger crowds than anywhere else in the world as Australia have life back to normal, but people can't spend their money going abroad - so, in theory, have more spending money (and holiday time) for tickets for the cricket.

spot on aye

the whole game all set up for India like, everyone just follows

I’ve also not heard 1 Indian player talk about the dreadful situation

what’s Kohli saying in all of this?

BCCI and the government are so closely linked they’re probably under order

spot on aye

the whole game all set up for India like, everyone just follows

I’ve also not heard 1 Indian player talk about the dreadful situation

what’s Kohli saying in all of this?

BCCI and the government are so closely linked they’re probably under order
From being a prolific tweeter, ~1 a day, he’s not said anything since 24th april

obviously he may have via other mediums

From being a prolific tweeter, ~1 a day, he’s not said anything since 24th april

obviously he may have via other mediums

just reading athers piece on times, which gives a good balanced view as always, he touches on this aspect of no word from Indian players saying it will be under orders

I find that a bit worrying that in a humanitarian crisis they feel like they can speak out because cricket administrators tell them not to

imagine how powerful Kohli’s words could be, even if it’s just a message of support

just reading athers piece on times, which gives a good balanced view as always, he touches on this aspect of no word from Indian players saying it will be under orders

I find that a bit worrying that in a humanitarian crisis they feel like they can speak out because cricket administrators tell them not to

imagine how powerful Kohli’s words could be, even if it’s just a message of support
It's all in hand, they made a few adverts to broadcast during the game telling people to wash their hands.

Did Ashwin say anything other than wanting to be with his family?

Slater is a numpty, I'm sure he had government permission and I'll be it included 'if the situation deteriorates you're not allowed back in'. Australian government response to this has been spot on. What's happened to Australians overseas over the last 6 months is another question but they're spot on saying the players shouldn't get special treatment.

It's all in hand, they made a few adverts to broadcast during the game telling people to wash their hands.

Did Ashwin say anything other than wanting to be with his family?

Slater is a numpty, I'm sure he had government permission and I'll be it included 'if the situation deteriorates you're not allowed back in'. Australian government response to this has been spot on. What's happened to Australians overseas over the last 6 months is another question but they're spot on saying the players shouldn't get special treatment.

on the last point you’re right aye

aussies trapped abroad and those who flew to India last month are completely different matters

despite what slater claims, it’s very much a “do you know who I am?” Type of attitude

it’s not got down well in Australia by looks of it

Will the World Cup be in doubt or is that too far away to say
BCCI have a 2 year deal in place with UAE that they can move any Indian tours, IPL or world cup there straight away, there was a journalist on talksport this morning saying the IPL might have a 2 week break and start again in UAE due to this agreement.

BCCI have a 2 year deal in place with UAE that they can move any Indian tours, IPL or world cup there straight away, there was a journalist on talksport this morning saying the IPL might have a 2 week break and start again in UAE due to this agreement.
Only issue with that is would it mean it finished at a later date? They have the test championship final in June so IPL couldn’t really finish any later. Their schedule is packed this year, I think it will/should be cancelled

Only issue with that is would it mean it finished at a later date? They have the test championship final in June so IPL couldn’t really finish any later. Their schedule is packed this year, I think it will/should be cancelled
He said they would play 2 or 4 games a day, as the stadiums are not spread over the entire country of India I guess its possible to have teams play twice a day, just makes the IPL a bit of a joke tbh.

Back