RR Interview: Benji Kimpioka’s agent on where the Sunderland forward’s contract negotiations are at

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to see the club at a point where we don't feel we have to put players on the pitch or bench just because we paid more for them. It's been a bugbear of mine for a while.

Players should be picked on ability, form and their last performance (same thing I suppose). The fear of failure by overthinking tactics and playing someone just because they might do something one day has been prevalent for years. Other teams have no fear in trying their kids.

Fast and direct and offers something different. If given a chance and coaching, he could benefit and his decision making might improve.
Do you think he isn't getting coaching?
I'd love to see the club at a point where we don't feel we have to put players on the pitch or bench just because we paid more for them. It's been a bugbear of mine for a while.

Players should be picked on ability, form and their last performance (same thing I suppose). The fear of failure by overthinking tactics and playing someone just because they might do something one day has been prevalent for years. Other teams have no fear in trying their kids.
You don't know if this is or isn't the case.

Last edited:
Just because he is young and near the end of his contract doesn't mean he should automatically be given chances his ability so far doesn't warrant. It's bizarre thinking unless people actually think he's remotely close to being ready. :lol:

Do you want to work hard and play for the club, or just get a bigger pay day....if it's B, the door's over there......and take your 'agent' with you....

Well neither have most, but there's other reasons for that as well isn't there? Or do you just put kids into almost every position whether they look likely to or not?

The problem here is you're trying to advocate someone who looked a bit inept technically, looks a bit allover the place, has proven nothing, has done nothing for the first team and on his only appearances in League One looked inept, but has some decent physical attributes and whom is holding the club for either assurances or more money as yet anther reason to knock the club and lets be honest it's f***ing pathetic and happening far to often to take it seriously.
The ideal scenario would be to get shot of both Kimpioka and Grigg. The latter has been an unmitigated disaster in terms of both his commitment and goals return and is being banked on to come good - the truth is he's right up there on the Jozy scale. The former, although hugely naive does offer us another dimension to our attacking threat which, when you take McGeady out of the equation is sadly lacking.

Avoiding a Maja situation by denying young players the first team minutes that developed Maja is bizarre tbh. Don’t think benji will be as good as Maja but if we’d operated like this last year, Maja would have fucked off to another league 1 team in the summer and nobody would have given a fuck - until he developed there and made us look like mugs.

Possibly mate but for me, especially at this level, if players think they can pretty much demand to be playing first team football, without being able to back it up with anything other than trying to force the clubs hand due to a contract situation then they can fuck off for me

No idea why this lad thinks he’s in that strong a position

How would we know how many Kimpioka would have gotten given that he’s never played?

Grigg fucked up yet another sitter yesterday. If he’s more worthy of a place on the bench then I’m the king of Spain.

With respect your Royal Highness, Senor Grigg has scored many goals at this level for 5 years. Only at Sunderland he has hone through a bad spell, and given that he has been injured for a lot of it , we shouldn't write him off yet.

Senor Kimpioka is unproven so as this stage Grigg is a better choice on the bench.

This does have a feel of Asoro and Maja about it tbh, agents bigging up their player (regardless of whether it's deserved or even wanted by the player) will be surprised if he stays.

The ideal scenario would be to get shot of both Kimpioka and Grigg. The latter has been an unmitigated disaster in terms of both his commitment and goals return and is being banked on to come good - the truth is he's right up there on the Jozy scale. The former, although hugely naive does offer us another dimension to our attacking threat which, when you take McGeady out of the equation is sadly lacking.

Agree on the first bit, dont agree on the other dimension. Charlie Wyke offers another dimension and hes shit, even he doesn't look absolutely bereft of any sort of touch like Kimpioka does though.This also isn't proven at any level other than a couple of glimpses in Checkatrade trophy games - in the same tournament Mcgeouch has occasionally looked like the player we thought we were signing, but has largely been unable to produce the same positive manner in league games and Grigg has outscored Kimpioka in the same number of games. Theres pace with kimpioka and some kind of ability to run with the ball, but it's not exactly a focused ability which you can even semi rely on to give you something extra in the right areas. it's a bit scatter gun and as limp as Grigg has been hes still more likely to do something.

If we didn't have Grigg or could offload him then I'd be willing to give Kimpioka more chances because hes here. I simply cannot see any logic or reason why at the moment hed be in ahead of Grigg though, just because were a bit pissed off Grigg isn't what we thought he was.

Last edited:
Either he signs with the expectation of going on loan to somewhere like Carlisle or maybe the conference (and rips it up in that league) or he can fuck off. Really does seem quite simple, I don't see the merit in playing for our u23s, the setup seems to be shite atm. We don't do nearly enough in terms of exposing promising players to higher levels to see what they are actually like.

The lad has 3 goals in 23 at U23 level... first team guarantees

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
Would be lovely to keep our talent but if he's more interested in contracts than playing either with us or out on loan then I suppose he might not be a talent for much longer.

If he goes on a free what sort of compensation do we get and does that include a sell on clause. I think its like 200,000 and %20 sell on but I'm afraid I might be talking out of my arse.

Is he ahead of Watmore in the pecking order and, if not, should he be?

Interesting point and relevant IMO.

Similar in what they add and what we lack to a degree in terms of being able to carry the ball and having pace/the ability to beat people, playing in wide or forwards roles.

Obviously you have to take into account Watmore's injury ravaged career, wages and the fact we haven't seen an awful lot of Kimpioka who is very young. At the moment though for me Watmore has looked far more in control of what he's doing even though technical aspects also let him down. Not sure about finishing as we've not seen enough of Kimp, but if Watmore was on lower wages and wasn't so often injured would there be the clamour to get him signed up we've seen from some for Kimpioka?

Reactions: BNM
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back