Interest Rates to rise this week?

Probably not many under 30 but a lot of older people have a decent cash pot saver up, especially those who have paid off a mortgage, taken a redundancy or received an inheritance
And they are reaping the benefits now after years of low interest rates. Only trouble is those who have large mortgages that were a stretch a while ago are now in trouble.

And they are reaping the benefits now after years of low interest rates. Only trouble is those who have large mortgages that were a stretch a while ago are now in trouble.

I would consider myself lucky. I bought in 2010 when prices had dropped following the crash, since the interest rates have been low and I have been overpaying when I have spare cash (I know not everyone agrees this is a good idea but it works for me) and should have the whole thing paid off in 4-5 years.

I would consider myself lucky. I bought in 2010 when prices had dropped following the crash, since the interest rates have been low and I have been overpaying when I have spare cash (I know not everyone agrees this is a good idea but it works for me) and should have the whole thing paid off in 4-5 years.
I just sold a property last year while people could still get mortgages - good timing for both parties.

My mam still has her house so there’s a probability that I will get a large cash sum before I’m 70. Dunno if they’d take that into account?
I've no idea tbh Dave, probably depends how close to 70 you are at the time. I was surprised when we got ours but we just threw everything at a mortgage adviser and they sorted it all for us

depends what the debt is. most people have a mortgage, some people get a car loan as they dont have enough to get a car. they can still save a bit for a rainy day.
having thousands on a credit card is different. who'd stick money in a savings account getting a couple of percent interest while they have a credit card charging 30%?

Not if you have a decent length 0% introductory offer on the credit card

They were too slow to raise them in the first place and are now playing catch up. I think we will get another 0.25% on top before the end of the summer. Not sure if it will be the next or following meeting mind.

Back