Interest Rates to rise this week?

For the first time for a long time I saw a petrol station with fuel under £1.40 per litre, yesterday on my way home from work - actually £1.39.9 but, hey ho, softly, softly, catchee monkey.
137.9 when I was out on my messages last night. Tesco Dragonville.

I'd seen a picture from ages ago on my WhatsApp where it was well over 190, and a reply from a mate buying diesel at 199.9 :eek:

I'd seen a picture from ages ago on my WhatsApp where it was well over 190, and a reply from a mate buying diesel at 199.9 :eek:
Probably cheaper than it was a few years ago when you factor in inflation.

Job done for the oil companies - they've conditioned us to think that anything under £1.40 is 'cheap', even when the barrel price is dropping down to pre-Covid levels.

Well unless the debt is interest free, it’s generally going to cost more then savings are going to make.

Would anyone give a mortgage that won’t finish til you’re 70?

Our mortgage finishes when we are 72. Only a small mortgage mind and a very large deposit on the house. That might have helped

Had a talk about mortgages, pensions and saving with a financial bloke a while ago.
He reckoned it was all down to interest rates.
If your getting 6% a year on your pension, don't take money out of it to pay off a mortgage that your only paying 3% on.
Same deal with savings, check the rates and move the cash, if your only getting 1% savings interest, pay off debt that your paying 5% on.

So for many pensioners, it makes sense to carry on with a mortgage rather than paying it off if your can afford the repayments from your pension.

Had a talk about mortgages, pensions and saving with a financial bloke a while ago.
If your getting 6% a year on your pension, don't take money out of it to pay off a mortgage that your only paying 3% on.
Same deal with savings, check the rates and move the cash, if your only getting 1% savings interest, pay off debt that your paying 5% on.

So for many pensioners, it makes sense to carry on with a mortgage rather than paying it off if your can afford the repayments from your pension.

This advice makes loads of sense but I don’t think the majority have the levels of cash and assets to get meaningful benefits of managing money like this, I think most live month to month with low levels of savings.

Not sure pensioners need the volatility of the stock market though. Steady away when you get to that age

For the first time for a long time I saw a petrol station with fuel under £1.40 per litre, yesterday on my way home from work - actually £1.39.9 but, hey ho, softly, softly, catchee monkey.
Been doing a bit of work in Bishop Auckland recently. Prices there must be amongst the lowest in the country, unleaded 1.32 and diesel 1.36

Back