Interest Rates to rise this week?

Not if you have a decent length 0% introductory offer on the credit card
I've never had a main credit card for about 20 years now that charges interest. Always transfer any remaining balance onto a new 0% card once the introductory period expires. Actually just did it a couple of months ago from a M&S Mastercard to a Barclaycard Visa with 0% on transfers and purchase for 18 months.

I keep an old Virgin Mastercard even though it's long past it's introductory period as it doesn't have any charges for using it overseas. Use it for emergencies only and always pay off the balance before any interest kicks in.

Been doing a bit of work in Bishop Auckland recently. Prices there must be amongst the lowest in the country, unleaded 1.32 and diesel 1.36
I divert through BA on my my home to fill up there. It's £1.57 in York & Brum!

On the mortgage front, I locked in to 4.1% for 5 years on Wednesday, but I only have 6 years left so it only went up from £1113 to £1175.

Last edited:
The older you get the more you put into bonds. Any mortgage provider ought to be telling you this.
It depends on a lot of factors.
For my own pension planning I consider a defined benefit pension to be an equivalent to bonds.

John Rekenthaler, vice president of research at Morningstar, examined market data from the last 80-plus years and determined that portfolios heavily weighted in equities allow retirees to safely withdraw more money each year than those with large bond allocations. Stock-heavy portfolios, meanwhile, led to more capital appreciation than moderate and conservative portfolios reliant on bonds.

Last edited:
It depends on a lot of factors.
For my own pension planning I consider a defined benefit pension to be an equivalent to bonds.

John Rekenthaler, vice president of research at Morningstar, examined market data from the last 80-plus years and determined that portfolios heavily weighted in equities allow retirees to safely withdraw more money each year than those with large bond allocations. Stock-heavy portfolios, meanwhile, led to more capital appreciation than moderate and conservative portfolios reliant on bonds.
I mean that's just blindingly obvious. Just look at a chart of the spx or dow. It's been one way.

Been doing a bit of work in Bishop Auckland recently. Prices there must be amongst the lowest in the country, unleaded 1.32 and diesel 1.36
Holmes’ garage at Etherley dene somehow undercuts all the other local ones, but the knock on effect is the tesco and Sainsbury’s at tindale have to be relatively low to at least compete with that.

There is the possibility that interest rates may rise this week.

The first in a series of rate rises could come as early as this week, with the Bank's rate-setting Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) due to pronounce on Thursday.

Good news for savers not so good for them on Standard variable rates or trackers.

Markets now expect the UK's main interest rate to rise from 0.1% to 0.25% in the first instance, with further increases to follow, perhaps reaching the pre-Covid level of 0.75% by the middle of 2022.
Bad news ,I'm old
Good news mortgage paid

bastard!
i was just about to renew with them earlier on this week but didnt...now my rate has gone up
This is why you should use a broker about 6 months before. They’ll get you the best rate elsewhere then, the offer usually lasts that long. If by the time your current lender offers you a better rate they’ll scrap that old offer & use that, or keep the old offer & move lenders. I’ll be honest, I couldn’t be arsed going through it all myself, let them do it.

Word on the street is that rates are going to go down and soon.

That's not what the markets are saying.
Current expectations is that the base rate will be 5% by November.

Looking at savings fixes, rates are still good on 1-3 years, and drop a bit on 4&5 year fixes.

That's not what the markets are saying.
Current expectations is that the base rate will be 5% by November.

Looking at savings fixes, rates are still good on 1-3 years, and drop a bit on 4&5 year fixes.
I did say rates will rise to 5.5% but some brokers are predicting reductions and the reductions will come as fast as the rises.

Lets honest though no one really knows.

This is why you should use a broker about 6 months before. They’ll get you the best rate elsewhere then, the offer usually lasts that long. If by the time your current lender offers you a better rate they’ll scrap that old offer & use that, or keep the old offer & move lenders. I’ll be honest, I couldn’t be arsed going through it all myself, let them do it.
fuck it...only gone up £10 a month

Back