If you found a mystery USB stick in the street

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually went to remote in to a company for a training session and we couldn't figure out why our software wasn't working. Until they mentioned they were running xp. I think this was two years ago
Jesus Christ..... :lol::rolleyes:

Its scary to be sure - the number of XP still being ran, Servers with Win2003 systems on them etc etc, its like they want their systems cracked
NHS still use xp don't they

Jesus Christ..... :lol::rolleyes:

NHS still use xp don't they

They all do, NHS, DWP, MoJ, loads of them - the problem is, some of their legacy systems were written back in the day and can't be migrated, it would cost a massive amount to rewrite them for Win10, so instead they keep the old XP machines running

lol no, that happens a lot though, its best when the email servers aren't set up right and out of office replies are replied to by out of office replies till the servers falls over

The NHS bollox was due to their IT people not bothering to patch old XP OS so any virus could run havoc - coupled by lunatic access to the internet so viruses got in unhindered
Out of Office replies shouldn't generate mail loops on the assumption that they are using mail servers configured to the RFC specifications (The NHS mail system does). Where it could possibly occur is if there are some client-side generated automatic replies between 2 different mail servers

Out of Office replies shouldn't generate mail loops on the assumption that they are using mail servers configured to the RFC specifications (The NHS mail system does). Where it could possibly occur is if there are some client-side generated automatic replies between 2 different mail servers

Correct - however not all systems are correctly configured

All of my secrets are on my car keys memory stick. Be more bothered about losing that than my car keys

Would you stick it in your PC to have a nosey? Course you would.

Just had a “security briefing” at work and been told to never do this as they are often left deliberately to spread malware, especially in company car parks.
Gonna make sure I do it at work instead of home in future. Who gives a shit about the company network getting infected?

Suppose it depends on the company's IT policy. Companies can write it into the T & Cs of the contract what you can and can't do. And they might just use an USB blocker
Pretty sure they've got this from a storyline on a American cop show.....

Its scary to be sure - the number of XP still being ran, Servers with Win2003 systems on them etc etc, its like they want their systems cracked
We have a project running at the minute, win2008 retirement. We worked backwards to say End Of Life in early Jan 2020, which means with Christmas shutdown, holiday being used up etc we need to have everything upgraded or retired by 15 dec 2019.

To hit that date and have capacity to deal with the last minute stragglers we have set a dealing of the 31st Oct 2019. That gives us just over a year, so I need a serious sit down to make sure each plan is on track. We have a tracking spreadsheet, which also calculates how many servers per week left to do and lets us gauge our capacity to keep on top.

From what I hear, the NHS has not really started considering Win2008 retirement yet. With my breakdown, it is scary how early you have to ask when your staff have lots of other duties too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back