If you found a mystery USB stick in the street

So how are you supposed to get data from other devices?

I’m sure they do. Mine is just so old and shit it wouldn’t really matter.
We don’t take data from any other device everything is sent via email if we need anything new. All our reports are done on it then sent via email. It’s a bit like what British Gas use having a database already installed and if it needs an updat then it goes back to the IT department.. I’m sure it will be easy enough to put the ports back on but I have no need. If I hit a problem I will say take a photo on my phone and send it that way!

So how are you supposed to get data from other devices?

I’m sure they do. Mine is just so old and shit it wouldn’t really matter.

I’ve worked on sites where an iPad is used to record images which are sync’d back to head office and in the opposite direction, drawings are updated and sync’d with the device. All you need is an IPad (or similar) and a WiFi egg.

Transfer to a common shared location where the data is secured and scanned. Most organisations who understand security disable USB ports for storage devices as a matter of course.
We have data loggers and card readers that connect via usb. So we would have to connect them to a secure location then take the data from there?

You can isolate an area of your pc to test content potentially containing viruses etc. Joys of using torrents for years.
I know I correct you often on politics but in this case it's not content you are worried about there are other attack vectors

Aye. I use a VM for this. Isolated from the network.
Eh your vm uses the host pc drivers to access the drive

Last edited:
We have data loggers and card readers that connect via usb. So we would have to connect them to a secure location then take the data from there?
Essentially yes. It all depends how much you value security and trust the devices you're working with. If you eg gave a customer a USB stick to put some files on, their system could transfer malware to the USB which could transfer to your Mac and beyond to all systems in your network. There are some real serious threats around at the moment. Just this last week there's been another attack at Intel (and other) CPU level, so even if you were running on VMs, the hypervisors themselves could be compromised. It's a nasty pasty world out there in the world of cyber security.

Anyone who is thinking of getting into a career in IT, cyber security is definitely a sector on the rise.

I know I correct you often on politics but in this case it's not content you are worried about there are other attack vectors

Eh your vm uses the host pc drivers to access the drive
You are indeed correct ..but ...
If you read my original reply fella I was referring to using this method for sanitising torrents etc... (I quoted another poster who said the same)

But you probably missed that bit - along with the other poster trying to be a clever shite

You are indeed correct ..but ...
If you read my original reply fella I was referring to using this method for sanitising torrents etc... (I quoted another poster who said the same)

But you probably missed that bit - along with the other poster trying to be a clever shite
I wouldn't be 100 percent on a VM adding extra defence against a torrent.

Back