If you found a mystery USB stick in the street

Aye I can picture it now................."excuse me officer, I've just found this USB full of child abuse images in the street".......:confused:.

You leave well alone just in case.
So if you found a stolen bike or bag of drugs you would just leave it there in case you got nicked for it?

The police aren’t really daft.

If anyone stuck a random USB they'd found in the street into one of our work laptops I'd make them pay £3k for a replacement if it borked it. f***ing idiots.

Wish people would learn the very basics of this stuff.

What if it contained a secret government list of famous paedophiles or summat?

I download loads of torrents (currently 240 active) and never use any virus protection. Then again it’s a Mac.
Always knew you were a wrang un.

Does anyone recall the NHS / Wannacry shambles a few months back ? Unpatched network and people poking about where they shouldn't

Never plug in an unknown stick, never open an unknown email, never click on a link sent to you by an idiot (that's almost everyone I work with) - its also a disciplinary offence to charge your phone off a hub, docking station or Laptop where I work, we're a bit over the top with everything mind
Was that the one where someone emailed everyone in the nhs, which nearly killed the network, then several geniuses replied to all to say "stop replying to all"?

Last edited:
If anyone stuck a random USB they'd found in the street into one of our work laptops I'd make them pay £3k for a replacement if it borked it. f***ing idiots.

Wish people would learn the very basics of this stuff.
But are you speaking from an IT savvy point of view? You have to remember that most people aren’t. Certainly, the people I work with struggle to do anything more than open their emails. I’m probably the most switched on about computers (which isn’t saying much) so you have a whole raft of forklift drivers and workshop grunts who have access to work PCs and not the slightest clue about this kind of thing. We get training programs where you have to do stuff like drag the viruses (represented by insects) onto the appliances (PC, router, fridge, kettle etc) to see if they are susceptible to attack. That’s what you’re dealing with on the shop floor.

On an unencrypted USB stick in Consett?
Full of wrang uns up there

Always knew you were a wrang un.

Was that the one where someone emailed everyone in the nhs, which nearly killed the network, then several geniuses replied to all to say "stop replying to all"?

lol no, that happens a lot though, its best when the email servers aren't set up right and out of office replies are replied to by out of office replies till the servers falls over

The NHS bollox was due to their IT people not bothering to patch old XP OS so any virus could run havoc - coupled by lunatic access to the internet so viruses got in unhindered

lol no, that happens a lot though, its best when the email servers aren't set up right and out of office replies are replied to by out of office replies till the servers falls over

The NHS bollox was due to their IT people not bothering to patch old XP OS so any virus could run havoc - coupled by lunatic access to the internet so viruses got in unhindered
Actually went to remote in to a company for a training session and we couldn't figure out why our software wasn't working. Until they mentioned they were running xp. I think this was two years ago

Actually went to remote in to a company for a training session and we couldn't figure out why our software wasn't working. Until they mentioned they were running xp. I think this was two years ago

Its scary to be sure - the number of XP still being ran, Servers with Win2003 systems on them etc etc, its like they want their systems cracked

Back