Ian Bell

No doubting his quality, but still feel for the majority of his career he went missing when England were under pressure.

Excellent player though. Good luck in retirement, Sherminator

:lol: f***ing hell man

Its just amazing how bad your takes are on things

scored the 3rd most test 100s ever for England, but aye he was "missing"

what a load of total and utter shite :lol:
Agree. Harsh but true which stops him being classified as a great.

Ian Bell is an England great

there is absolutely no debate about that.

Last edited:
:lol: f***ing hell man

Its just amazing how bad your takes are on things

scored the 3rd most test 100s ever for England, but aye he was "missing"

what a load of total and utter shite :lol:

Ian Bell is an England great

there is absolutely no debate about that.

Some of his best innings were when the chips were down. CT, Brisbane in 2010/11 spring to mind. Perth too to a lesser extent.

Lovely player to watch just always had that “can’t do it when the chips are down” hanging over his head. But an important cog in the machine that was the England Test side between 09 and 2012 (“The Edge” side) and as discussed in the past the results they achieved, most England sides can only dream of
Good player but his stats benefited massively from the quality bowlers who were in their pomp in the 90s, being on the wane (& replaced by lesser players) as he came on the scene.

imo
Good point same could be said for a lot of players of the last 15 years apart from the obvious exception of Smith. Kohli wouldn’t have the stats he has now imo. Would have struggled against all the great bowlers of the 90s/early 2000s.

Last edited:
Good point same could be said for a lot of players of the last 15 years apart from the obvious exception of Smith. Kohli wouldn’t have the stats he has now imo. Would have struggled against all the great bowlers of the 90s/early 2000s.
Steven Smith would have averaged about 18 shuffling across his stumps against the likes of Srinath, Waqar, Wasim, Shoaib, Donald, Pollock, Ambrose, Walsh.

Even the likes of Vaas & Heath Streak were miles better than most of todays offerings.
Made his Test Debut against a pace quartet of Jermaine Lawson, Correy Collymore, Dwayne Bravo & Fidel Edwards....:lol:

I have no further evidence to offer m’lord.

Last edited:
Steven Smith would have averaged about 18 shuffling across his stumps against the likes of Srinath, Waqar, Wasim, Shoaib, Donald, Pollock, Ambrose, Walsh.

Even the likes of Vaas & Heath Streak were miles better than most of todays offerings.

Made his Test Debut against Jermaine Lawson, Correy Collymore, Dwayne Bravo & Fidel Edwards....

Always makes the line of attack to him look so obvious but he’s good enough to whip it away every time. Frustrating to watch and I would imagine to bowl to. Would have loved to have watched those above bowl to him
mind

Made his Test Debut against a pace quartet of Jermaine Lawson, Correy Collymore, Dwayne Bravo & Fidel Edwards....:lol:

So

talking nonsense

Steven Smith would have averaged 18:lol:

pace bowling is so good right now

Jesus you’ve just made an utter fool of yourself
Lovely player to watch just always had that “can’t do it when the chips are down” hanging over his head. But an important cog in the machine that was the England Test side between 09 and 2012 (“The Edge” side) and as discussed in the past the results they achieved, most England sides can only dream of

no he didn’t have that hanging over his head at all

load of dinosaurs on here “better in my day” merchants

South Africa having steyn, morkel, philander for starters

Best Indian attack of all time

Jimmy anderson and broad in England

just off the top of my head

utter nonsense

Last edited:

India's pace line up is their best ever. New Zealand's their best ever.

We have Jimmy and broad.

Rabada will end up saffers all time wicket taker. Steyn and philander only just packed it in past year or two.

Smith is lucky he doesn't have to face the pace attack aus have. Cummins is the best bowler in the world and would be a great battle to see.

Last edited:
So

talking nonsense

Steven Smith would have averaged 18:lol:

pace bowling is so good right now

Jesus you’ve just made an utter fool of yourself

no he didn’t have that hanging over his head at all

load of dinosaurs on here “better in my day” merchants

South Africa having steyn, morkel, philander for starters

Best Indian attack of all time

Jimmy anderson and broad in England

just off the top of my head

utter nonsense
I never saw Wasim/Waqar and the West Indies and SA attacks mentioned above. Before my time but most people rate the 90s as a golden era for fast bowling. Only Steyn, and Broad/Anderson match those names imo

India's pace line up is their best ever. New Zealand's their best ever.

We have Jimmy and broad.

Rabada will end up saffers all time wicket taker. Steyn and philander only just packed it in past year or two.

Smith is lucky he doesn't have to face the pace attack aus have. Cummins is the best bowler in the world and would be a great battle to see.
Agree with this mind.
I think bowling attacks around the world hit amajor lul around 06-15 but have since made a major rebound.

The ones you've mentioned, plus Pakistan have a good attack with some talented young quicks led by Abbas, the Windies with Holder, Roach and Gabriel, England finally adding some pace and are no longer as reliant on Broad and Jimmy

Agree with this mind.
I think bowling attacks around the world hit amajor lul around 06-15 but have since made a major rebound.

The ones you've mentioned, plus Pakistan have a good attack with some talented young quicks led by Abbas, the Windies with Holder, Roach and Gabriel, England finally adding some pace and are no longer as reliant on Broad and Jimmy

Beg to differ on the last bit - we’re as reliant as Broad and Jimmy as we’ve ever been imo.

Beg to differ on the last bit - we’re as reliant as Broad and Jimmy as we’ve ever been imo.
At home maybe. But I definitely think we've bowlers coming through now that can share the load. Woody, Jof, Sam and Woakes at home, Stokes is developing into a proper all rounder, Stone is highly rated, Mahmood has taken nearly 300 county wickets already... We've got bloody good options coming through to take over IMO

Not saying we're going to relive the heady days of 2010-12, but I think we're looking reasonably well stocked

I don't think we'll win in Aus next year, but we certainly won't be carted like we have the last two times

Couple that with a batting line up coming together and I think we're forming a very good side

Last edited:

Back