I need the help of the SMB

Brace yourself @chunkylover53 ...

Dear Keawyeds

Thank you for your email.

I rebelled against the Government yet again over this amendment as I still do not believe there has been an adequate solution to this problem.

While the amendment you reference did not pass, I understand these issues will be returning to parliament under the guise of the Building Safety Bill, when I will continue to advocate for affected leaseholders.

If I can be of any further assistance to you on this or any other matter, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely

Chris Green MP
Member of Parliament for Bolton West
A rebel! Nice

A rebel! Nice

A Tory Rebel at that. Who'd have thunk it?

I can't recall he's done much else aside from resign from things that people didn't know he was a member of, oh and back a local council election candidate who seemed to have a problem with refugees - specifically the amount we have in Bolton.
I can't say I've noticed the amount of refugees in Bolton to be honest so what that berk is on about I have no idea.

It’s in another thread, but will get lost.

I’m one of the victims of the cladding scandal, the government has today rejected the bill to protect leaseholders

My service charges have increased from £120 a month to £650 a month. For a 2 bedroom flat. This gets us a fire alarm installed and waking watch. This does not include cladding removal.

I’m having to budget for £50-£75k to get this fixed. This is a 2 bedroom flat. It’s going to bankrupt thousands of people.

please can I ask those who have Tory MPs (in particular) to write to them and point out the injustice of this? It will take you a few mins only

many thanks
Just got the below from my MP (I got the same standard boiler plate as everyone else initially). Do you have anything pre-written I can respond with?

Dear Hammer,

Last month the Building Safety Bill was read for a second time. Whilst this Bill makes important changes to regulation in the future, which I support, urgent action and leadership is needed to protect the hundreds of thousands of people already trapped in unsafe homes, as well as facing huge bills to fix historic failures.
Whilst I voted for the Bill, I am calling on the Government to legislate to ensure leaseholders should not be billed for fire and building safety remediation works.

The Government have failed leaseholders time after time. We were told that the Building Safety Bill would provide leaseholders with the reassurance that they would no longer be impacted as a result of negligent developers and lax regulation. Government Ministers repeatedly promised that “leaseholders will not be left with the bill” to make buildings safe. The Government have failed. Funding will not cover buildings below 18 metres tall. These leaseholders will be forced to take up loans to remove the cladding. Even those in blocks over 18 metres are finding out that they won’t get help with dangerous cladding if they cannot afford to pay for other fire safety issues themselves, which can total tens of thousands of pounds.

In December 2020 the Government promised to “end the scandal of excessive waking watch costs”. The Government have failed. They were forced to re-open the Waking Watch Relief Fund months after it first closed. Some leaseholders had already paid £500,000 on waking watch and at least one first time buyer has gone bankrupt because of these costs.

In January 2020 the Government promised to move away from “crude height limits with binary consequences”. The Government have failed. They continue to rely on the ‘crude height limit’, by excluding all buildings under 18 metres from grant funding and forcing them to take out loans. Meanwhile, leaseholders in buildings of all heights are being asked for expensive EWS1 forms.

The Labour Party has pledged to work cross-party to amend the Bill, to enshrine legal protections for leaseholders in law. Labour MPs are committed to seeking justice for our constituents.

Alongside calling for leaseholder protections, I will be joining my colleagues in calling for a Building Works Agency – a team of engineers and experts to go block by block; assessing fire risk, commissioning and funding remediation works, signing buildings off as safe and sellable, and finally going after those responsible for causing problems in the first place.

I am committed to fighting for justice for every leaseholder in Battersea. To find out what actions I am taking for the people of Battersea, please sign up for my regular newsletter.

Finally, to continue pushing the Government on this issue, I would be grateful if you could share, in as much detail as possible, the impact that the cladding scandal has had on you – financially and psychologically. Please email, with the subject title ‘The impact of the cladding scandal in Battersea’ to [email protected].

Just got the below from my MP (I got the same standard boiler plate as everyone else initially). Do you have anything pre-written I can respond with?

Dear Hammer,

Last month the Building Safety Bill was read for a second time. Whilst this Bill makes important changes to regulation in the future, which I support, urgent action and leadership is needed to protect the hundreds of thousands of people already trapped in unsafe homes, as well as facing huge bills to fix historic failures.
Whilst I voted for the Bill, I am calling on the Government to legislate to ensure leaseholders should not be billed for fire and building safety remediation works.

The Government have failed leaseholders time after time. We were told that the Building Safety Bill would provide leaseholders with the reassurance that they would no longer be impacted as a result of negligent developers and lax regulation. Government Ministers repeatedly promised that “leaseholders will not be left with the bill” to make buildings safe. The Government have failed. Funding will not cover buildings below 18 metres tall. These leaseholders will be forced to take up loans to remove the cladding. Even those in blocks over 18 metres are finding out that they won’t get help with dangerous cladding if they cannot afford to pay for other fire safety issues themselves, which can total tens of thousands of pounds.

In December 2020 the Government promised to “end the scandal of excessive waking watch costs”. The Government have failed. They were forced to re-open the Waking Watch Relief Fund months after it first closed. Some leaseholders had already paid £500,000 on waking watch and at least one first time buyer has gone bankrupt because of these costs.

In January 2020 the Government promised to move away from “crude height limits with binary consequences”. The Government have failed. They continue to rely on the ‘crude height limit’, by excluding all buildings under 18 metres from grant funding and forcing them to take out loans. Meanwhile, leaseholders in buildings of all heights are being asked for expensive EWS1 forms.

The Labour Party has pledged to work cross-party to amend the Bill, to enshrine legal protections for leaseholders in law. Labour MPs are committed to seeking justice for our constituents.

Alongside calling for leaseholder protections, I will be joining my colleagues in calling for a Building Works Agency – a team of engineers and experts to go block by block; assessing fire risk, commissioning and funding remediation works, signing buildings off as safe and sellable, and finally going after those responsible for causing problems in the first place.

I am committed to fighting for justice for every leaseholder in Battersea. To find out what actions I am taking for the people of Battersea, please sign up for my regular newsletter.

Finally, to continue pushing the Government on this issue, I would be grateful if you could share, in as much detail as possible, the impact that the cladding scandal has had on you – financially and psychologically. Please email, with the subject title ‘The impact of the cladding scandal in Battersea’ to [email protected].
Thanks for sharing. I think it’s pretty clear their views, and doesn’t need a follow up yet. Thank you so much for doing this

That is a disgrace!

Is there no way out of it either?

Sadly not, it's quite surprising how more isn't been made about it in the media as it is impacting people up and down the country.

Mentioned this earlier in the thread but I dodged a bullet, as that the apartment I was renting on Newcastle Quayside and I'd had an offer accepted on to purchase from the landlord, got held up a few months, as potentially I'd be in a similar situation. Once the Mortage providers surveyor came out to look at the property they picked up on cladding on exterior wall and turned out it wasn't fire-rated and as such I couldn't get a mortage on it.

Sad thing is, the cladding is only on the top floor which is 6 apartments out of 45. No idea who will end up footing the bill. Just the floors on the top floor or all the building even though the exteriors to the lower floors are just brickwork? I know a few apartments on the lower floors have still managed to go through a sale even last year however a few down there are also being held up as mine had.

Got sick of waiting for it to go through (and Kingston to fix the cladding) and also a change in circumstances meant I ended up just buying a house over Tynemouth way on. Whilst the flat was amazing and an amazing investment (idea was to airbnb long-term) - I just couldn't take the risk of being lumbered with some insane bill on top of it.

Loads of flats down the Quayside are in this situation mind, and the only ones I'm aware that have had it removed is Baltic Quays last summer.

Sadly not, it's quite surprising how more isn't been made about it in the media as it is impacting people up and down the country.

Mentioned this earlier in the thread but I dodged a bullet, as that the apartment I was renting on Newcastle Quayside and I'd had an offer accepted on to purchase from the landlord, got held up a few months, as potentially I'd be in a similar situation. Once the Mortage providers surveyor came out to look at the property they picked up on cladding on exterior wall and turned out it wasn't fire-rated and as such I couldn't get a mortage on it.

Sad thing is, the cladding is only on the top floor which is 6 apartments out of 45. No idea who will end up footing the bill. Just the floors on the top floor or all the building even though the exteriors to the lower floors are just brickwork? I know a few apartments on the lower floors have still managed to go through a sale even last year however a few down there are also being held up as mine had.

Got sick of waiting for it to go through (and Kingston to fix the cladding) and also a change in circumstances meant I ended up just buying a house over Tynemouth way on. Whilst the flat was amazing and an amazing investment (idea was to airbnb long-term) - I just couldn't take the risk of being lumbered with some insane bill on top of it.

Loads of flats down the Quayside are in this situation mind, and the only ones I'm aware that have had it removed is Baltic Quays last summer.
Crazy that like, dodged a bullet there.

Sadly we have heard similar before. From his boss.
Sorry I didn’t know that, I have to admit my first thought when I read it was ‘Never Trust A Tory’ but hopefully Gove is sensing that Johnson might be damaged by this latest corruption scandal and he sees fixing this as a way of looking good in the eyes of the public, fingers crossed anyway, you never know, politics is a funny old game

Sorry I didn’t know that, I have to admit my first thought when I read it was ‘Never Trust A Tory’ but hopefully Gove is sensing that Johnson might be damaged by this latest corruption scandal and he sees fixing this as a way of looking good in the eyes of the public, fingers crossed anyway, you never know, politics is a funny old game
I have slightly more confidence in Gove to be honest. Johnson has, as we well know, a habit of saying something/anything to move the conversation on. Consequences of his words don’t matter

Just saw this on my MPs Facebook. I’d like to think it’s the result of my badgering him with emails about you Chunks.

Just saw this on my MPs Facebook. I’d like to think it’s the result of my badgering him with emails about you Chunks.

You’re absolutely brilliant, thank you

Back