Hurricane Ophelia

Status
Not open for further replies.

I found it a bit disturbing, started having a flashback to Thunder Thursday a couple years back! :eek:
Been on a course all day so was losing the will to live, took a look outside and see some yellow tint.

Had to do a triple take just to make sure I was seeing things right! Could have drifted off and be dreaming for all I knew! :lol:

Been on a course all day so was losing the will to live, took a look outside and see some yellow tint.

Had to do a triple take just to make sure I was seeing things right! Could have drifted off and be dreaming for all I knew! :lol:
I was on one today n all. Came out for me dinner and it was like 28 Days Later.

Sorry about any casualties etc but the fuckas who categorise these have never been in a real hurricane.
It was only a category one, it's not going to be on the scale of Irma etc. The disparity between category one and five is quite astounding. It was also post tropical, which apparently has an effect, although I'm not certain what.

It was only a category one, it's not going to be on the scale of Irma etc. The disparity between category one and five is quite astounding. It was also post tropical, which apparently has an effect, although I'm not certain what.
I think Post tropical just means that it formed in tropics but due to its location is no longer tropical. These are then sub divided into frontal and remnant low cyclones. The frontal type carries more energy than the remnant low which has lower sustained wind speeds.

I think Post tropical just means that it formed in tropics but due to its location is no longer tropical. These are then sub divided into frontal and remnant low cyclones. The frontal type carries more energy than the remnant low which has lower sustained wind speeds.
That's what I thought originally, but this report from the NHC suggests otherwise: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2017/al17/al172017.discus.028.shtml?

'Within just the past six hours, the last bit of deep convection
near Ophelia's center has been sheared off well to the north, and
the cyclone has acquired a definitive extratropical structure.'

People in the North East of England are at risk of death late this evening from flying debris according to the BBC.

I've just been and chained the kids trampoline to the washing line post and sat a few sand bags and logs on for good measure. If it's windy enough to take that away now and your daft enough to be out then flying debris is the least of your worries.

That's what I thought originally, but this report from the NHC suggests otherwise: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2017/al17/al172017.discus.028.shtml?

'Within just the past six hours, the last bit of deep convection
near Ophelia's center has been sheared off well to the north, and
the cyclone has acquired a definitive extratropical structure.'

Now powered by the atmospheric temperature differences, rather than the warm water of the tropics and latent heat gains from convection. Frontal in nature.

What do you know? It's not like you need to know owt about weather. f***ing berk.

Very windy in SR8
Shut your gob then.

Something has made a noise on our roof, been out but can't see what. I'm not getting the ladders out at this time of night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back