How much debt do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
£8,000 for car on two years 0% currently , my half of the house just about paid for with equity from last place which is handy as not earning owt at mo

What the absolute fuck

How long did it take you to save that??
My deposit was about UK 100,000, paid in cash, saved up.

All these people listing their mortgage. I have a hefty mortgage but don't look upon it as debt more as investment.

Mind, I was late getting started on a house compared to many, and I have to admit to being ever so slightly envious of people my age or younger who have paid theirs off.

Still, I always say if you try to compare the arc of your life against someone else's you're setting yourself up for disappointment. I may have been late but had some great experiences along the way and as long as anyone can say that then they've played the game of life well.

My only other debt is the solar panels which I'll pay off soon, and our lass's student loan. We don't have credit card debt or car loans.
Aye, me and the missus (no) bought much later than others, rented until then. But that meant we could afford a really nice place and had no debt until then. In fact, our mortgage (which is significantly less than the current value of the place) is the only debt we have had in about 15 years.

Last edited:
our deposit was a measly 200k (sterling). seems absurd (to me especially) but that's what had to be done.

Apart from mortgage and student loan I've finance on me caravan but that'll be paid off as soon as we can release some savings abroad. Got furniture on finance too but 0% so won't bother paying that off early.

All these people listing their mortgage. I have a hefty mortgage but don't look upon it as debt more as investment.

Mind, I was late getting started on a house compared to many, and I have to admit to being ever so slightly envious of people my age or younger who have paid theirs off.

Still, I always say if you try to compare the arc of your life against someone else's you're setting yourself up for disappointment. I may have been late but had some great experiences along the way and as long as anyone can say that then they've played the game of life well.

My only other debt is the solar panels which I'll pay off soon, and our lass's student loan. We don't have credit card debt or car loans.

My mortgage is probably half the value of the house, but I still count it as debt. I can't just sell the house and be laughing, I need somewhere to live. The mortgage takes the biggest chunk out of my wages every month. If I can pay that off as early as possible then I can save/invest towards retiring early, so the amount I owe is very much on my mind, but not in a very worrying way.

£1500 overdraft, slowly getting it down from the 2k it was.
£500 to family
Not having a job for 6 months messed my finances up. Will get it all paid off by christmas I hope.

Sweet FA I'm happy to say

We will be taking out a £40k mortgage on the new house but we could cover that from savings in we had to

A mate of my wife has just turned 50 and is taking on a £250k mortgage with her boyfriend

I couldn't sleep at night in her shoes - and just to make it worse her fella is married- to someone else and has no plans to get divorced

I'm thinking that could get interesting if he snuffs it any time soon

No fool like an old fool

Sweet FA I'm happy to say

We will be taking out a £40k mortgage on the new house but we could cover that from savings in we had to

A mate of my wife has just turned 50 and is taking on a £250k mortgage with her boyfriend

I couldn't sleep at night in her shoes - and just to make it worse her fella is married- to someone else and has no plans to get divorced

I'm thinking that could get interesting if he snuffs it any time soon

No fool like an old fool
Christ that's bad.

I love a good old SMB cock waving contest - so how much debt do you have?

I have £205k across two mortgages - no other debt!

That'll be peanuts I imagine!
8 year left of mortgage ,nowt else

£7k left on my car
£20k in student loans
£3k in credit card and overdraft

In the running for a new job so if I get that I can be credit card and overdraft free by Christmas. If not it'll take another year or so to pay off.

Student loan will take me a long time. Probably 25-30 years to pay off.

I don't earn over the payment threshold yet, so that's just sitting accumulating interest.
7k left on a a car !! Barmy Imo. Young lad with limited finances should be driving a £1500 corsa or whatever .I got two busses to work when I started then bought a motorbike and used in rain or shine for 7 years . Not having a go at you but the acceptance of debt will stay with you throughout life .

Last edited:
Christ that's bad.
She won't take a telling mate
She's been with this guy for 9 years and he won't even discuss getting a divorce

She's putting all of her equity from her own house (about £25k) and he's putting about £15 k into it

It's a train wreck waiting to happen in my opinion

Our lass has given up on trying with her because she won't listen to a word anyone says to her

State of this man.

Thread about debt has turned into the usual suspects waving their 4-inchers around to brag about how much deposit they put on a house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back