How have we got this so wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

So who else is to blame then? :confused:

Stewart Donald?

Yeah possibly aye, South Korea was a good indicator, they have probably dealt with it best

Italy was just the biggest warning though

South Korea are also living with the daily threat of their northern neighbours exposing them to biological warfare. They were prepared but for other reasons

You don't think they have? :eek:

Are some people living in a bubble or what? remarkable.
I've no idea, I'm not an expert, in the govt or privvy to their information. South Korea have been under potential attack for years and I wouldn't believe anything China or Russia say. There is the odd anomalies but hindsight is a great thing. I'm no tory either but I struggle to see what you could have done in a democratic state.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've no idea, I'm not an expert, in the govt or privvy to their information. South Korea have been under potential attack for years and I wouldn't believe anything China or Russia say. There is the odd anomalies but hindsight is a great thing. I'm no tory either but I struggle to see what you can do in a democratic state.

An unfortunately this seems to be the attitude our Government took as well.

An unfortunately this seems to be the attitude our Government took as well.
What attitude? We don't live in a totalitarian or military state. You can't just order people to follow your will from the off, there is wider implications.

Take some of those nasty rich footballers out while you are down there too!

There are no easy response, but there are responses that don't leave you likely to have the 2nd highest death rate in the world.

There's a long way to go yet, plenty of time to look back over this when we are out the other side. I fear for countries not taking it as seriously as we have and for poorer countries who are less able to respond in terms of health provision and economic support.

What attitude? We don't live in a totalitarian or military state. You can't just order people to follow your will from the off, there is wider implications.

Exactly, you also have to factor potential social unrest risks if you have lockdown for too long & mental health issues.

And with the lack of any vaccine for at least a year, then a degree of herd immunity is actually needed but it's about getting herd immunity within the limits of what the NHS can cope with.

Least capable bunch of politicians we have had in charge us for 75 years.
The thing is I don't think reactions over the past 2 months or so have had a massive difference to the numbers of deaths we are seeing .

Ok if they're banned flights from Italy or China sooner / more strictly then that would gave saved some lives - but not many I think .

It's actions over the past few years that need to be looked at ( after this is over) - especially as this pandemic has been on the cards RE SARS, MERS etc.

Questions like ....

1. Why did Germany have a much better testing response than us

2. Why has out ability to do rapid testing been so poor.

3. Why did we not appear to have a pandemic response plan ready to go

4. Why has NHS England taken so long to get organised.

5. Why was project Cygnus hushed up . And why did we not act on its warnings

Last edited:
Exactly, you also have to factor potential social unrest risks if you have lockdown for too long & mental health issues.

And with the lack of any vaccine for at least a year, then a degree of herd immunity is actually needed but it's about getting herd immunity within the limits of what the NHS can cope with.
Spot on

Questions like ....

1. Why did Germany have a much better testing response than us

2. Why has out ability to do rapid testing been so poor.
Have you got the memory of a goldfish? :lol:

The Guardian: Coronavirus crisis has transformed our view of what’s important | Jonathan Freedland

“They were very slow. They didn’t understand the scale of this,” says one senior figure, who has witnessed the government’s response close up. He says those at the top were “blase”, that emergency Cobra meetings were nothing like the efficient coordination exercises that have followed terror attacks, but “chaotic”, lacking “decisiveness”. As for the PM, “I was surprised at how not in control Johnson appeared to be.” There was a lack of comparative data on how other countries were responding, a lack of thinking strategically or several moves ahead. Put simply, he says, the government was “winging it”.

I am staggered that anyone can say hand on heart can say we haven't made huge errors

the thing you keep avoiding is, why are we going to have one of the highest death rates in the world

If it all can't be stopped why aren't every other nation in the world have figures like us?
its been an indescribable fuck up

yet many are just shrugging shoulders saying, oh well couldn't have done much anyway

thats bollocks

Last edited:
you are blaming the public for this :eek::eek:

Jesus wept man

The public are largely responsible for this. Inability to make sacrifices unless forced and a bit of warm weather overriding common sense has lead to it spreading quicker than what it should have.

Government can only do so much, and they definitely put all the information out there.

I’m not really happy with the government for other reasons, but they shouldn’t be held responsible for the mass stupidity that has accelerated the problem.

It was a new virus, the government ran with the herd immunity and changed their mind when they realised how bad it was. I still don't think we really appreciate how bad it is/will be. They should have been more prepared for this, but it's too late now. We can only go onwards from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back