How have we got this so wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read lots of stuff about how here in April we should have done this and that in late Feb, early March
I'm yet to see anything from any of them from late February telling us how to deal with what's coming
Despite hating the Tories I think the time line and response was about right
The lock down of leisure ,then freedom of movement, then the 80% offer etc
Stuff was happening in hours as the situation changed .Clearly they had to time it right to prepare behind the scenes ,nhs wise
The key message was get testing stuff ready then we can be targeted and understand the virus
Unfortunately after that it turned to shit with usual cluelessness ,waffle, lies and incompetence .
That's Westminster, meanwhile Joe Public has proven they are fuckwits and despite clear information have flouted basic instructions at every opportunity and helped this thing multiply . If I get this I won't be blaming anyone but myself and the person I got it off whoever that was .If I was a front line worker I'd blame the government .
Places where this hasn't hit don't have great governments they just aren't passing it around
Have you read the Sunday Times this morning? I think the Guardian are reporting the same too.

Have you read the Sunday Times this morning? I think the Guardian are reporting the same too.
Missing the cobra meetings ?
Yes briefly
Clearly hours and days were critical looking back but we had the floods going on and EU stuff and I don't think any country comes out well in it regards preparation
If some have locked down stricter earlier we can only judge that at the end when we try to recover
From the Times:

The training to prepare key workers for a pandemic had been put on hold for two years while contingency planning was diverted to deal with a possible no-deal Brexit.
This ? Not read it

Politicians are the same the world over. Most are not professionally qualified persons and often operate in a field not suited to their abilities. After this virus is over a long period of public enquiries and dishing the dirt will follow. Labour would not have handled this much different to the nasty party.

I've read lots of stuff about how here in April we should have done this and that in late Feb, early March
I'm yet to see anything from any of them from late February telling us how to deal with what's coming
Despite hating the Tories I think the time line and response was about right
The lock down of leisure ,then freedom of movement, then the 80% offer etc
Stuff was happening in hours as the situation changed .Clearly they had to time it right to prepare behind the scenes ,nhs wise
The key message was get testing stuff ready then we can be targeted and understand the virus
Unfortunately after that it turned to shit with usual cluelessness ,waffle, lies and incompetence .
That's Westminster, meanwhile Joe Public has proven they are fuckwits and despite clear information have flouted basic instructions at every opportunity and helped this thing multiply . If I get this I won't be blaming anyone but myself and the person I got it off whoever that was .If I was a front line worker I'd blame the government .
Places where this hasn't hit don't have great governments they just aren't passing it around

how on earth can anyone sit there and say the response was right?
Seriously?

that’s not even up for debate now,they’ve obviously massively cocked up

absolutely staggered

Consensus is a stretch, there are lots and lots of differing opinions both nationally and globally. There is no consensus. You may be right that most epidemiologists said to lock down earlier but that isn’t the only factor government needed to take into account.

I agree it’s not about blame but I believe it’s too soon to know if mistakes have been made. It’s almost certain that mistakes have been but I don’t think anyone can say with cast iron certainty what they are. We certainly can’t say people have made the “wrong decision” because what seems wrong now may prove to be right in the long term, and vice versa.

To make is clear, I’m not defending anything, I believe that we need to see how this pans out before we pass judgement...some things will have been managed well, some badly. If, and it’s a big if, evidence comes out that government went against the advice they received from trusted advisors then people need to be held accountable if there isn’t compelling justification.
Have you read the piece from the Times today? The consensus and the advice was there in February. The government response was far worse than I imagined though.

I wonder if the ST article will feature in the journalists questions at the press briefing? It might be worth watching after all.
Have you read the piece from the Times today? The consensus and the advice was there in February. The government response was far worse than I imagined though.
Like many others I suspected the current government is shit, but now I am really worried.

Last edited:
how on earth can anyone sit there and say the response was right?
Seriously?

that’s not even up for debate now,they’ve obviously massively cocked up

absolutely staggered
I said it was about right at the time ,then you say it's not up for debate now .That's hindsight . I take it you knew the closing of pubs etc then lockdown was too little too late
Is there anywhere on here you were saying it back then ( genuine question )
If it's just you saying ,complete lockdown that doesn't count
Of course complete lockdown is the most effective
I hate Boris so I should rub my hands at that but I just see us and many others ignoring it's potential ,like we do on many occasions like natural disasters where scientists warned us time and again .If Boris had ignored the floods or Brexit waffle and spoke about washing hands for something non of us had we'd have gone mental
I've no problem with Cobra being held with him missing depending on the issue of course .You have a cabinet for a reason .Something like the virus needs the people who know ,debating it ,not Bozo. He's not the clever educated well versed in many subjects but struggles to make a stand type leader He's clueless with a big mouth .
What isn't acceptable is how they've dealt with it post lock down and letting Joe public off without blame since then is barmy also.
To top it off ,no matter how shit they are at sorting this its only the people who didn't vote him in who care ,many think he is Churchill in our hour of need

Last edited:
No10 said back in February: "We have supplied them with 1,800 goggles, 430,000 disposable gloves, 194,000 sanitising wipes, 37,500 medical gowns and 2,500 facemasks."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...f-protective-equipment-delivery-a9472826.html

Mr Gove told the BBC’s Andrew Marr Show: “I think it’s important to stress… the personal protection equipment that we sent to China was to help with the most extreme outbreak in Wuhan.

“That personal protection equipment was not from our pandemic stock.

Also we have received far more from China in personal protective equipment than we have given."

:edit to add @southstander: Here's her answer

Claim -
The government sent 279,000 items of its depleted stockpile of protective equipment to China during this period in response to a request for help from the authorities there.

Response - The equipment was not from the pandemic stockpile. We provided this equipment to China at the height of their need and China has since reciprocated our donation many times over. Between April 2-April 15 we have received over 12 million pieces of PPE in the UK from China.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back