How does your outlook on lockdown correlate with your personal financial situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
50% ? Read the report mate. If you don't agree then so be it.
If a business closes every 2 weeks for 2 weeks it’s open 50% of the time.

then, when it is open it’s not allowed at capacity so it will be running around 50% capacity .

so based on that , on a normal month it’s at 25% income.
I’ll take a gander , just reads ridiculously . The sage are all from the health perspective but there are others also to take into account

If a business closes every 2 weeks for 2 weeks it’s open 50% of the time.

then, when it is open it’s not allowed at capacity so it will be running around 50% capacity .

so based on that , on a normal month it’s at 25% income.
I’ll take a gander , just reads ridiculously . The sage are all from the health perspective but there are others also to take into account
Not what I posted or was said by sage but you either want to read it or not.

I cant disagree on so many points, worked in public sector for more years than I care to remember, Sunderland since 1997, except for 6 months, and I still went back.
it’s the balancing act between death, and all of those other factors you mention, whether they are caused by poverty, isolation, loneliness, lack of treatment for other illnesses.
Working in public sector for me has been like a holiday camp last 12 years compared to previous 11 years in private sector. There are no easy options sadly people are going to die whatever is done

Spending more on gas & electric due to WFH (I don't have any commuting costs)

But saved a bit due to not going on holiday & no season ticket

So, meh!!!

Happy to go along with the lockdowns/restrictions.

self employed and missed most of last year following surgery. COVID has been the perfect storm.

On the bones of my arse atm.

To be honest I work from home, am in one support bubble and the only place I go is the gym. So although it won’t affect me all that much I just feel for those who it will affect, without furlough, leading up to Xmas. Whether that be self employed, or those working in hospitality/shops.

This government haven’t got one clue on how to deal with this

Job unaffected. My attitude to lockdown is that it's just one tool in a toolbox, but when it's used on a national scale, and it will be, it should always be accompanied by a functioning test, track and isolation system. And this requires financial measures to sufficiently cushion the blow on affected industries and people because that's how you make it work.

Unfortunately the government is pulling in two contradictory directions and hasn't got a f***ing clue what it's doing, so they'll probably lockdown without the measures, it'll not work, they'll burn up any remaining trust from the public and even more people will die on top of the disgraceful pile of unnecessary deaths that can be chalked up to their historic incompetence.
f***ing BINGO

I'm not living in the UK but my mam was and died in a nursing home during the first wave. I was a big advocate of the lockdown then but the devastation to all of our economies while those smug fuckers China sit there forecasting growth in theirs has me seething and questioning whether we can all afford to do it again.

Not to go totally off topic but is it that much of a stretch to think this was all part of a deliberate and elaborate plan to accelerate their global position by a decade or two knowing full well our democratic freedoms wouldn't let us snuff it out with the seemingly ease they did. These fuckers have to be held to account for this or they will simply hold every country to financial ransom moving forward.

Financially fine. Worked from home throughout, survived a round of redundancy. Was due a promotion this year which has been put on hold due to a slight slowdown in the middle quarters of the last FY which also prompted the redundancies, so not whinging about that as I kept my job.

In terms of restrictions, I want everything to be open as far as is possible. So it infuriates me that we still don't have a functional T&T system and that a subset of wankers insist on having loads of people over for parties etc'.

I'm semi-retired and my wife retires this month so a further lockdown would not impact us financially but it would stop us enjoying our retirement. We have had to cancel 4 holidays this year.
You poor lamb. 😁
Worked throughout , mrs g is wfh so no financial impact.. saved quite a bit not going out..

We lost our only child (17 yr old daughter) unexpectedly on Dec 28th, we had to wait until the end of Jan to say our final goodbye. Next 6/8 weeks were a blur then lockdown.. to say our state of mind suffered is an understatement. Only have a small family ( loads of really good friends tho) and not being able to see anyone was hard, really hard . For me work was a godsend. But we stuck to the rules. I'm against further restrictions for a few reasons,

We need to find our own personal normal.

Lots of mates self employed etc already hit hard.

People's mental health is going to take a massive hit imo,

Also just heard this week that a good friends daughter had been trying to get a doctors appt since June... wouldn't see her, fobbed off with anti biotic for chest infection since then... got so bad she was taken to a&e where they've found stage 2 cancer.... same age as our daughter she is... and you've got that fat wanker telling everyone the NHS is bau... we'll try telling that to this bairn with the fight of her life on her hands...

Dreading the inevitable Christmas lockdown.. not because we'll be celebrating, it's pretty much done for us now, but because visits to and from family and friends will not be allowed.. I'm really not sure I can stick to the rules as they were.
Ffs, so sorry to hear. It brings everything into perspective.

Last edited:
To be honest I work from home, am in one support bubble and the only place I go is the gym. So although it won’t affect me all that much I just feel for those who it will affect, without furlough, leading up to Xmas. Whether that be self employed, or those working in hospitality/shops.

This government haven’t got one clue on how to deal with this

Does anyone’s government? Don’t tell me New Zealand mind, as they have just dodged the issue by closing the doors to everyone not from New Zealand.

For some degree of lockdown measures (I just want a coherent plan!) even though they mean it’s possible I’ll lose my business because of them.

Does anyone’s government? Don’t tell me New Zealand mind, as they have just dodged the issue by closing the doors to everyone not from New Zealand.
You just answered your own question. You needed to close your borders and get your own house in order. Then work from there with track and trace to wittle it out. Two weeks enforced hotel quarantine for all returning Brits. Nobody leaves the UK for a defined period of time until it's under control.

Self employed and only in the 2nd year of business so last years accounts were not enough to get any real help, thankfully been busier than I expected especially during lockdown.

Agree with lock down measures moving in line with stats
Can't even imagine what it's like in the business sectors this damages
Think the whole testing ,tracing stuff has been woeful
Worked right through ,I'll will do so again ,slight drop in business but shouldn't affect my income

Agree with lock down measures moving in line with stats
Can't even imagine what it's like in the business sectors this damages
Think the whole testing ,tracing stuff has been woeful
Worked right through ,I'll will do so again ,slight drop in business but shouldn't affect my income

Would you be in favour of the lockdown measures if it cost you your job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back