How does your outlook on lockdown correlate with your personal financial situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worked throughout , mrs g is wfh so no financial impact.. saved quite a bit not going out..

We lost our only child (17 yr old daughter) unexpectedly on Dec 28th, we had to wait until the end of Jan to say our final goodbye. Next 6/8 weeks were a blur then lockdown.. to say our state of mind suffered is an understatement. Only have a small family ( loads of really good friends tho) and not being able to see anyone was hard, really hard . For me work was a godsend. But we stuck to the rules. I'm against further restrictions for a few reasons,

We need to find our own personal normal.

Lots of mates self employed etc already hit hard.

People's mental health is going to take a massive hit imo,

Also just heard this week that a good friends daughter had been trying to get a doctors appt since June... wouldn't see her, fobbed off with anti biotic for chest infection since then... got so bad she was taken to a&e where they've found stage 2 cancer.... same age as our daughter she is... and you've got that fat wanker telling everyone the NHS is bau... we'll try telling that to this bairn with the fight of her life on her hands...

Dreading the inevitable Christmas lockdown.. not because we'll be celebrating, it's pretty much done for us now, but because visits to and from family and friends will not be allowed.. I'm really not sure I can stick to the rules as they were.

awful that mate ,can’t imagine what you went through there and how you stayed so strong.

I agree with how you have put it, your own personal normal, that would be great with everyone respecting that

Last edited:

Not earned a penny since February this year. Don't know when I'll earn again currently. But I'll have to get by, I suppose.

Don't want a lockdown, just an idea of what this so-called government have in mind as an end game in regards of situation. It's time for a grown up community based conversation on what we can do, what we can't do and what we need to do.

Worked throughout , mrs g is wfh so no financial impact.. saved quite a bit not going out..

We lost our only child (17 yr old daughter) unexpectedly on Dec 28th, we had to wait until the end of Jan to say our final goodbye. Next 6/8 weeks were a blur then lockdown.. to say our state of mind suffered is an understatement. Only have a small family ( loads of really good friends tho) and not being able to see anyone was hard, really hard . For me work was a godsend. But we stuck to the rules. I'm against further restrictions for a few reasons,

Also just heard this week that a good friends daughter had been trying to get a doctors appt since June... wouldn't see her, fobbed off with anti biotic for chest infection since then... got so bad she was taken to a&e where they've found stage 2 cancer.... same age as our daughter she is... and you've got that fat wanker telling everyone the NHS is bau... we'll try telling that to this bairn with the fight of her life on her hands...

Dreading the inevitable Christmas lockdown.. not because we'll be celebrating, it's pretty much done for us now, but because visits to and from family and friends will not be allowed.. I'm really not sure I can stick to the rules as they were.
So sorry about your daughter, puts so much else into perspective. Just tragic lots of love to you and your wife xx

definitely your outlook on this is hugely swayed by your situation.

The in-laws are minted with no mortgage etc, they think we should all be on complete lockdown.

I’m very much at risk of redundancy working in a struggling sector and I think we need to crack on and learn to live with it.

I've worked throughout, loads of overtime to cover those shielding initially.

I want to avoid another lockdown but can't see what else we can do if the numbers keep rising. It wouldnt surprise me to see tighter restrictions by middle of next week.

Earning less but able to wfh so still have a fairly secure job.

I'd ban foreign travel, strongly advise working from home where possible and keep large public gatherings off for now.

Sorry to hear that marra. Best wishes to you both

Against a lock down completely. I work in public sector so I'm lucky. Lockdown benefited me financially so another wouldnt effect me personally but I dont want misery for others
I’m the same, public sector has its advantages and disadvantages, currently, it seems, it’s a huge advantage, in terms of job security, fingers crossed.
But, that doesn’t mean I don’t have huge sympathy for those in the private sector, the furlough scheme ends tomorrow if I’m not mistaken, I’m so worried for how many will lose their jobs.
I am totally torn with lockdown or not. I don’t want the lack of a lockdown to mean people die, but I don’t want people to lose their jobs either.
Have to say, for me the govt policy at the minute is neither nowt nor summit in Protecting either life or economy.

I worked from home anyway so little difference there. I started dialysis in January and, in a strange way, the virus has made that life-changing event a little easier to cope with. I was shielding until August and going no further than a few yards from the back door started to be a drag.

I'm not sure about lockdown as there still seems to be so many unknowns. To some extent, I think people like myself in the vulnerable categories might need to cut their cloth accordingly in terms of activities so we can keep as many things going as possible but I realise there will be all sorts of individual circumstances, as well as the health risks, that might not be suited by this.

So difficult to see beyond what's immediately around you.

I’m the same, public sector has its advantages and disadvantages, currently, it seems, it’s a huge advantage, in terms of job security, fingers crossed.
But, that doesn’t mean I don’t have huge sympathy for those in the private sector, the furlough scheme ends tomorrow if I’m not mistaken, I’m so worried for how many will lose their jobs.
I am totally torn with lockdown or not. I don’t want the lack of a lockdown to mean people die, but I don’t want people to lose their jobs either.
Have to say, for me the govt policy at the minute is neither nowt nor summit in Protecting either life or economy.
Being in public sector I have it so easy job for life, unless I take the piss with sickness or do something stupid at work. Good pension, good redundancy scheme, flexi, work monday to friday, no bank hols, overtime. For last few years didnt have much spare but as soon as lockdown was £400 quid a month better off as no school clubs as one small eg to pay for, no kids parties etc. I dont want people to die of covid but I equally dont want people to die of suicide, poverty, alcoholism, not getting treatment for other stuff etc or lose their jobs or have to live in poverty or worry about supporting their families for years.

Being in public sector I have it so easy job for life, unless I take the piss with sickness or do something stupid at work. Good pension, good redundancy scheme, flexi, work monday to friday, no bank hols, overtime. For last few years didnt have much spare but as soon as lockdown was £400 quid a month better off as no school clubs as one small eg to pay for, no kids parties etc. I dont want people to die of covid but I equally dont want people to die of suicide, poverty, alcoholism, not getting treatment for other stuff etc or lose their jobs or have to live in poverty or worry about supporting their families for years.
Reading the sage report tonight they offered a decent solution to not have mass slaughter and keep the economy going by repeated circuit breakers of 2 weeks off 2 or 3 times up until December as needed from sept.
Now we are going to get the worst of both worlds from these idiots.

How many are in the bairns bubble, I was shocked to hear that there were 50 and 56 in two schools, one a mates wife works at the other the school of a work mates son.
Our school has two classes per bubble, between 50-60 kids in each.

I cant disagree on so many points, worked in public sector for more years than I care to remember, Sunderland since 1997, except for 6 months, and I still went back.
it’s the balancing act between death, and all of those other factors you mention, whether they are caused by poverty, isolation, loneliness, lack of treatment for other illnesses.

Reading the sage report tonight they offered a decent solution to not have mass slaughter and keep the economy going by repeated circuit breakers of 2 weeks off 2 or 3 times up until December as needed from sept.
That’s the best compromise we can get in my humble opinion. Too late now of course, would require another spring style lockdown for about 6 months bearing in mind it’s winter and the seasons are against us, to get it down to a manageable level

That’s the best compromise we can get in my humble opinion. Too late now of course, would require another spring style lockdown for about 6 months bearing in mind it’s winter and the seasons are against us, to get it down to a manageable level
It was leaked tonight and I thought the same. Why on earth they decided to not go with this is beyond me.
I sometimes wonder what is really going on, is it incompetence or worse.

It was leaked tonight and I thought the same. Why on earth they decided to not go with this is beyond me.
I sometimes wonder what is really going on, is it incompetence or worse.
Seen a few scientists saying today it’s too late for a circuit break/lock down (or whatever description it’s given).
it was never going to happen once Starmer said it should.

Seen a few scientists saying today it’s too late for a circuit break/lock down (or whatever description it’s given).
it was never going to happen once Starmer said it should.
Aye, the circuit break option is gone. A full lockdown is inevitable in my opinion unless they want us to be Italy in March with folk lying in corridors.

How does running a business 50% of the time then at 50% capacity , therefore 25% of normality a decent solution?

wouodnt get anywhere a sustainable level of income

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back