How does your outlook on lockdown correlate with your personal financial situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m in favour of restrictions that are actually enforced, as opposed to the current system of:
  • Set restrictions
  • Don’t enforce them when people break the rules
  • Set stricter restrictions
  • Still don’t enforce them when people break the rules
  • Set out a new tiered restriction system, threaten people with a “virtual Christmas” then state quite clearly that these are guidelines not law (apart from for the businesses)
I’ve been working from home since day 1

Last edited:

Job unaffected. My attitude to lockdown is that it's just one tool in a toolbox, but when it's used on a national scale, and it will be, it should always be accompanied by a functioning test, track and isolation system. And this requires financial measures to sufficiently cushion the blow on affected industries and people because that's how you make it work.

Unfortunately the government is pulling in two contradictory directions and hasn't got a f***ing clue what it's doing, so they'll probably lockdown without the measures, it'll not work, they'll burn up any remaining trust from the public and even more people will die on top of the disgraceful pile of unnecessary deaths that can be chalked up to their historic incompetence.

Morning!

This is absolutely the key thing. Without track and trace, most measures are of limited use but it needs to be backed up with the correct financial measures.

From my own point of view, I'm WFH and, because of this, probably better off financially (and certainly in terms of personal time). Probably busier with work than I would have been in a non-Covid year.
I’m in favour of restrictions that are actually enforced, as opposed to the current system of:
  • Set restrictions
  • Don’t enforce them when people break the rules
  • Set stricter restrictions
  • Still don’t enforce them when people break the rules
  • Set out a new tiered restriction system, threaten people with a “virtual Christmas” then state quite clearly that these are guidelines not law (apart from for the businesses)
I’ve been working from home since day 1z

That's also key. The restictions need to be enforced and adhered to. The solution to finding that only 11% of people who should be isolating for 14 days are actually doing so isn't to suggest reducing the time limit to 7 or 10 days as I've heard suggested this week.

Last edited:
I think that the majority whose jobs are secure support any necessary lockdowns. If employment is unsecured for example self employed your less likely to support it.

I think that the majority whose jobs are secure support any necessary lockdowns. If employment is unsecured for example self employed your less likely to support it.
I think it depends on your personal experiences with the disease as well. I’ve become more in favour of restrictions over the last couple of weeks as more than 10 people I know (possibly even over 15 now as there have been another 3 positive tests amongst my wife’s side of the family) have now had the virus. 3 weeks ago I didn’t know a single person who’d had it.

Ive been working throughout the pandemic. Im a Civil Servant so probably one of the more stable jobs to be in and now Im out of debt so Im in a relatively comfortable position. Its been a dreadful year, with a family bereavement and then getting the virus but I still count myself incredibly lucky.

I think it depends on your personal experiences with the disease as well. I’ve become more in favour of restrictions over the last couple of weeks as more than 10 people I know (possibly even over 15 now as there have been another 3 positive tests amongst my wife’s side of the family) have now had the virus. 3 weeks ago I didn’t know a single person who’d had it.
Myself and my wife have had it ive just been allowed out after my second bout of isolation within 6 weeks. I also hardly knew anyone who caught it in March time but know loads who've caught it since September.
My wife works for an airline and her pay is 70% salary and 30% bonus. Since lockdown the bonus is scrapped so we are 30% down on her pay. I also retired from one job,so have a pension, but had another job lined up which has been "delayed" because of the situation so technically we are also 50% down on my pay.
I will still abide by any lockdowns as much as I'd like to see the end of it.
A large proportion of my friends are self employed and are obviously dead against any lockdown, or isolation periods as they would lose money.

Wife and I both keyworkers working with and in places of high risk, we've had to adjust our personal routines considerably to protect ourselves, each other and the people we see. Earnings haven't changed.

Feelings on lockdown are that we need to follow governments who are better informed and less incompetent than our own. Nobody knows how to solve it but if the countries who managed it better are advocating for them I'm far more inclined to listen to them.

Theres also the fact that if it is let to just run and it does spread as virulent as forecast the economy is fucked anyway and also lots more people will die.

It's a bad situation to be in. That's undeniable. But the economy and society was broken before this anyway, only worked for some .

For people like yourself who have only recently started to bang the drum about mental health, inequality etc, you should be thinking about a better fairer future, not sticking a plaster on top of a decapitated corpse.

The sooner people realise the damage has been done the better. Then people can invest in agitating for a fairer and safer society, fit not only for more people but also for the threat of another pandemic, which history tells us at this point is an inevitable part of nature.

I’m interested to understand how peoples attitude to lockdown aligns to the circumstances they (and their immediate family) find themselves in.
Post below your position on lockdown/ restrictions followed by the financial impacts/ employment position you find yourself in.

I’ll go first:
Against Lockdown measures/ no financial disadvantage suffered, working from home.
You will see the majority of work from home will be for lockdown measures as it won't impact them, if anything they are better off. People who cant work from home are against it as they will lose out. Quite simple really.

You will see the majority of work from home will be for lockdown measures as it won't impact them, if anything they are better off. People who cant work from home are against it as they will lose out. Quite simple really.

I WFH and I support the tier system rather than a national lockdown, perhaps I am in the minority or it could be I am in an area currently in tier 1.

You’re probably right. Dispassionately, I’d just like a plan. And then it to be implemented. The current requirements are weak, and thus virtually pointless

Currently WFH until March next year at the earliest - other reasons for that apart from Covid.

Much better off due to no virtually no expenditure on petrol, bus passes, and the normal miscellaneous spending that comes with working in an office in a city centre.

Detest WFH and despise lockdowns, especially as there seems to be no coherent plans regarding how restrictions can be lifted or scaled-back.

Against lockdown, employed , no financial suffering from covid , fortunate enough to have savings for about a years bills. I normally am office based and travel but wfh since march.

im Concerned for the wider economy and people’s jobs and on a personal level I don’t want what I’ve worked for for 25 years to be fucked up by this.

I actually really enjoy going to work and miss it

I should be better off financially. No taxis to get back from work, not going out as much etc.

seem to just spend it on shite instead. Think my Mrs is on first term names with Amazon as they seem to be delivering every day

I think anyone affected by the measures to control the pandemic whether imposed or through their self sacrifice should be no worse off and it should be absolutely within the government's duty to ensure this happens.

Worked throughout , mrs g is wfh so no financial impact.. saved quite a bit not going out..

We lost our only child (17 yr old daughter) unexpectedly on Dec 28th, we had to wait until the end of Jan to say our final goodbye. Next 6/8 weeks were a blur then lockdown.. to say our state of mind suffered is an understatement. Only have a small family ( loads of really good friends tho) and not being able to see anyone was hard, really hard . For me work was a godsend. But we stuck to the rules. I'm against further restrictions for a few reasons,

We need to find our own personal normal.

Lots of mates self employed etc already hit hard.

People's mental health is going to take a massive hit imo,

Also just heard this week that a good friends daughter had been trying to get a doctors appt since June... wouldn't see her, fobbed off with anti biotic for chest infection since then... got so bad she was taken to a&e where they've found stage 2 cancer.... same age as our daughter she is... and you've got that fat wanker telling everyone the NHS is bau... we'll try telling that to this bairn with the fight of her life on her hands...

Dreading the inevitable Christmas lockdown.. not because we'll be celebrating, it's pretty much done for us now, but because visits to and from family and friends will not be allowed.. I'm really not sure I can stick to the rules as they were.

Understand but don’t enjoy elements of the lockdown. But it’s necessary innit, blind man on a galloping horse can see what happens when we are let loose.

Work hasn't really impacted financially other than a couple of months when we went on a 9 day fortnight with every other Friday off unpaid.

Was home based for a couple of years pre-covid so used to that but but normally spent probs a week a month in elsewhere Uk or Eur, so that’s been the most challenging bit (more so for the Mrs and kids :)

My take on it is getting all excited changes nowt, and unless I’m going to chain myself to the railings and set myself on fire, my opinion is largely irrelevant and certainly unnoticed, so whatever will be will be.....and therefore I’m going to get enjoyment out of what we can, while we can!

Therefore, I’ve bought lerds of clerthes, been on a few holidays in both UK and EUR, spent a weeks wages on a single meal, become obsessed with making the perfect Neapolitan pizza etc etc.....of course could have tightened the owld belt and saved all that for a rainy day....but I’d have gone all Michael Douglas in Falling Down months ago if we were super cautious. If my work industry is hit, and it will be, then I’ll worry about it if and when it affects me.

There’s a hell of a lot worse off than us and I’m fucked if I’m not going to appreciate what we have....things could be so much worse and I really feel for those in a less fortunate position.

I’ll keep on looking for the peanuts in the shite!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back