how do you rate 2007-17 for safc??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gave it a good go financially which is all most of us asked in the Murray days.

and given the results perhaps that frugalness should have been continued.

honestly, how have we got ourselves in such a shit show of a mess

Its dog shite really with some massive highs. Technically its been the best 10 years stretch in my 40 years following us.... so that pretty much says it all.

When I'm retired I will look back on 6 in row and Wembley very fondly though. Great times and some shockers in there too, but its what being a SAFC supporter is all about. :cool:

Highlights:

Beating Chelsea at Stamford Bridge
The derby wins
Enjoying watching: Bent, Gyan, Defoe, Welbeck, Sess, Pickford, Hendo, Danny Rose and a few others.

Some cracking goals: Vaughan v the mags is my fav.

A cup final.

The rest was hardly a magic carpet ride.

and given the results perhaps that frugalness should have been continued.

honestly, how have we got ourselves in such a shit show of a mess

Absolutely, had we known in hindsight. But had we been given the choice I imagine very few would had asked to stay within our means.

Mostly awful with a smattering of great results/ memories.
We get to Wembley, beat the Mags six time off the trot (as well as sending them down), yet overall a it's massively disappointing period as we've haven't progressed at all (despite the promises), with relegation battle after relegation battle finally getting the better of us.

Pretty much my thoughts. The time to really kick on was probably the summer of 2011 but we blew it big time and it's been a gradual spiral since then with one or two small glimmers of hope that we'd not completely fuck it up, which now we have.

If we do okay next season though and are in and around the play offs and no lower, then I reckon it'll at least be more enjoyable than what most of the last few years have been up here just making up the numbers and getting regular hidings at home off very average teams.

think bruce had a v good home record for a while, buit we lost every away game almost?
that's until his super summer transfer spree

as it is, 5/10

if we kept alf instead of rodwell and bridcutt, 7

5/10

first season back up we had fears it would be like the 15 and 19 point seasons, it was a battle but felt we were doing our best with a poor team, so had no complaints.

Bruce early on got some exciting players and some great wins, but we never kept it going in the January, and his summer screwed us for years after .

The early o neil run was the only time I have felt we were in no trouble, but again, we didn't buy to keep the buzz going (bridge and the greek on loan for crying out loud), if he had got a couple of pacey wingers/ forwards then, a big centre back and centre mid that would have been a cracking team.

As it was Fletcher was not the right type of striker for how o neil wanted to play, Johnson therefore was expected to do everything himself with us playing so deep and we soon became incredibly dour and clueless , again because of bad choices- a CM of seb, cats, Vaughan , Gardner and Colback grafted, but was painfully slow, small lacking in anyone who could trap the ball/ pass/ make space to beat a man or play through balls, and we got steamrollered in midfield as a result in the air and physically.

Going from Henderson, Zenden, Steed, Gyan, Cana, Bent to the trash we bought in showed Ellis was pulling the plug on big buys.

Danny bloody graham, as it fletcher wasn't slow enough.

I loved di canio early days and being linked with loads of exciting players....orban, Duncan, mendy, huddlestone, lukaku, and that pre season I couldn't wait for the games and exciting style... but ended up a 3m net spend?

So , looney or not, Di canio/ di fanti, dodgy or not, had little chance.

Congerton was even worse, Dick coming back was fine if he had been given a decent budget, but he wasn't, though allardyce would have it cracked with a good budget but then England ruined it.

Moyes has just been so poor, barry fry would have had a better transfer success rate.

Some great moments, but in the main torture which has been self inflicted by utter stupidity.
Would give 5 likes but only allowed 1. Well summed up.

Take away the levelling of the derby game records and the LC run and it's been a waste. A tale of wasted time, money and opportunities on a scale that'd been unimaginable a mere ten years earlier.
When the next version of SAFCs history is written there'll be very very few people who've been involved looking forward to reading it.

Last edited:
Just reading this thread and it's probably just sunk in now that we are going down, I feel a little upset :cry:

After 10 years in the league we should of be at least sitting with the likes of West Brom and Stoke as well established premier league clubs, Ellis Short has made a complete mess of my club, obviously it's more than just him to blame, with a special mention to the clowns, of Di Fanti, Byrne and Congerton, but he's the top man and the blame firmly lies at his door

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back