how do you rate 2007-17 for safc??

Status
Not open for further replies.

An unexpected second chance to get some real momentum around the club in the SoL era, thanks to Quinn and Keane, and build a feelgood factor around the club, and break into the top half of the Premier League on a regular basis.

Spoiled by a Texan hedge fund billionaire with no connection to the sport, the area, or the club, whose judgment is as bad as, if not worse, than Vincent Tan or Massimo Cellino.

A period when we ceased to be a serious football club, appointing lunatics, chancers, spivs, mates, students, losers, statisticians, overpromoted lawyers, and part time basketball researchers into the key positions at the club.

A period when as a result of the mismanagement of the club we racked up a debt that will hinder the club for a generation.

A period of constantly poor football for years, culminating in yet another of the worst Premier League points totals in history.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting enough, had some players that I never thought Id see In a Sunderland shirt. Gave it a good go financially which is all most of us asked in the Murray days.

A constant struggle with very little quality to shout about. A naive owner that has been pillocked by so called experts into making bad investments. never the less, some good moments especially six in a row. 4/10

Had some tremendous memories.
6 in a row, cup final and road to wembley, fantastic support with us averaging over 40k every season, seeing the likes of defoe in a red and white shirt. Our time is now over though, Looking forward to winning a few games.
Would love to know how many home league games we have won in that time? Bet its grim reading.

think bruce had a v good home record for a while, buit we lost every away game almost?
that's until his super summer transfer spree

Interesting enough, had some players that I never thought Id see In a Sunderland shirt. Gave it a good go financially which is all most of us asked in the Murray days.

as it is, 5/10

if we kept alf instead of rodwell and bridcutt, 7

5/10

first season back up we had fears it would be like the 15 and 19 point seasons, it was a battle but felt we were doing our best with a poor team, so had no complaints.

Bruce early on got some exciting players and some great wins, but we never kept it going in the January, and his summer screwed us for years after .

The early o neil run was the only time I have felt we were in no trouble, but again, we didn't buy to keep the buzz going (bridge and the greek on loan for crying out loud), if he had got a couple of pacey wingers/ forwards then, a big centre back and centre mid that would have been a cracking team.

As it was Fletcher was not the right type of striker for how o neil wanted to play, Johnson therefore was expected to do everything himself with us playing so deep and we soon became incredibly dour and clueless , again because of bad choices- a CM of seb, cats, Vaughan , Gardner and Colback grafted, but was painfully slow, small lacking in anyone who could trap the ball/ pass/ make space to beat a man or play through balls, and we got steamrollered in midfield as a result in the air and physically.

Going from Henderson, Zenden, Steed, Gyan, Cana, Bent to the trash we bought in showed Ellis was pulling the plug on big buys.

Danny bloody graham, as it fletcher wasn't slow enough.

I loved di canio early days and being linked with loads of exciting players....orban, Duncan, mendy, huddlestone, lukaku, and that pre season I couldn't wait for the games and exciting style... but ended up a 3m net spend?

So , looney or not, Di canio/ di fanti, dodgy or not, had little chance.

Congerton was even worse, Dick coming back was fine if he had been given a decent budget, but he wasn't, though allardyce would have it cracked with a good budget but then England ruined it.

Moyes has just been so poor, barry fry would have had a better transfer success rate.

Some great moments, but in the main torture which has been self inflicted by utter stupidity.

Last edited:
The last 10 years makes me question what we're fighting for next season. Naturally and normally when a club is relegated it's aim is to get promoted. If we were ever to get promoted with this crippling debt then it would most likely be just as bad as the last 10 years. I suppose it would do the club good financially to reduce the debt. In footballing terms, just more pain.

The longest top flight run in most of our life times and people are still complaining.

It has been utter chod mind.

Absolute shite.

Hopefully we go down and slowly start to get our house in order, then come back with a clean slate.

The achievement of stopping up so long wasn't actually that enjoyable looking at it now. Already been mentioned, but Wembley & beating the Mags were highlights. But if that's all we e got to show for ten years, it's not a lot to shout about is it?

aye, scraping survival is only a good thing if we see progress year on year. we'd look back on the last 10 years happily if we'd finished say 16 this season, 14 next etc

instead we've been getting worse and worse. it's like the last 18 months under reid just stretched across a decade.

there's some top memories aye, but knowing we're sinking to div 2 anyhow, you couldn't be blamed for thinking maybe we should have dropped down a good few years back, sorted our finances and come back up instead of amassing crippling debts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back