How Can Anyone Be An Atheist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm saying that when you're born, you don't yet hold a belief in a higher being, it is something that a person is taught/brainwashed to believe.

As you grow up and become able to understand language you then receive "wisdom" from your parents/guardians/family/teachers etc. that form the basis of your beliefs.

Much later in life you develop the tools to judge whether the things you were taught as a child were true. Most people use these tools to determine that Santa Claus and The Easter Bunny aren't real. Some people go on to use these tools to reflect on their religious beliefs and realise that it too was all made-up and highly illogical.

Pretty much describes my childhood. Church for services on Sunday mornings and then an evening service, provided with plenty of bible stories at home, sometimes ad-hoc midweek services at other church goers homes. I thought it was true. I was also terrified as a child when I went to Madam Tussauds and came face to face with a dalek. Equally I though that was real.

As I grew up and took an interest in both science and history, I started to question what I had been taught. The Universe was clearly not created in 7 days, man did not walk on the earth with lambs and doves just days after it had been created and there was not a flood that wiped everything out only to start again. From the history side, there is the whole part of where teachings in the bible has been used to manipulate and control society that I am uncomfortable with. However on the other side of things I have seen growing up how religion and going to church brings so many people joy, the feeling of belonging and the support of peers while feeling that there is some all powerful person watching over you, giving people hope.

The result is as an adult, religion is something I largely ignore. There might be a god (which one), there might not. We might be supposed to go to church every sunday, we might not. If other people want to do that and believe that, it does not affect me so let them get on with it. For me personally it is just something other people do that I have no interest in what so ever. Like tennis and celeb dancing shows.

I like Ricky Gervais's stand-up routines but a lot of his atheism quotes were taken from elsewhere - famous atheists like Dawkins, Hitchens, Bertrand Russell etc.

The miracles of science and philosophy.
So it wasn't that you just saw people going to the shops and buying Christmas and Easter presents like normal people?

I think this is one of the most intelligent things I've ever read on here.

People who bang on about atheism tend to be pure spenks imo. I went to a thing called the Infinite Monkey Cage, it was a live podcast thing with Robin Ince and that science fella from D-Ream. They had an 'atheist band' doing songs about us 'coming from apes' and whatnot. I think it was supposed to be ironic but it was basically a Christian rock gig for people who don't believe in god - an atheist church service if you like.

Horrendous crack, never again.

:lol:

The thought of you calling people spenks.

So are you/he saying that from birth you are fully formed person and the only things that you develop are taught? If that's the point then it's a shit one.

I think you've missed his point there. ;)
No, you're not a fully formed person, your mind is at a very empty stage, and yes, everything you develop comes from the influences around you, and what you make of them. People wouldn't have a clue who god is, if they've never been told about him//her/it.

So it wasn't that you just saw people going to the shops and buying Christmas and Easter presents like normal people?

Those things you mention will have contributed to my questioning the existence of Santa certainly.

I was referring to science and philosophy giving me an effective framework for determining whether to believe something I'm told, regardless of what that might be.

The burden of proof lies with the person making the outlandish claim.

If we start with a blank slate and then write on it "god exists" then we must justify it with actual proof otherwise it is as absurd a belief as one in Santa or in Bertrand Russell's teapot.

I haven't watched the link but find it fascinating how people can have a strong opinion either way, since we're not really going to know until we're actually dead.

I would describe myself as agnostic and open to persuasion, based on proof either way. I hope I don't find out anytime soon :lol:

Maybe you should join your local Apathy Society and then not bother to show up at meetings.

I wasn't. You should've asked rather than make silly assumptions marra. No harm done though.
Yeah, I know you've posted before about chimps displaying ritualistic behaviour. How you jumped from that to "chimps believe in god" only you know.

When you boil it down to it’s bare bones, what is the difference between believing in God and believing in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy?

We know where presents come from. We know where the cash under the pillow comes from. No one knows what created the big bang.

Yeah, I know you've posted before about chimps displaying ritualistic behaviour. How you jumped from that to "chimps believe in god" only you know.

www.independent.co.uk/news/science/mysterious-chimpanzee-behaviour-could-be-sacred-rituals-and-show-that-chimps-believe-in-god-a6911301.html%3famp

I wasn't. You should've asked rather than make silly assumptions marra. No harm done though.
Ha'way then, where's the evidence backing up your claim or are you the one making silly assumptions?

We know where presents come from. We know where the cash under the pillow comes from. No one knows what created the big bang.

www.independent.co.uk/news/science/mysterious-chimpanzee-behaviour-could-be-sacred-rituals-and-show-that-chimps-believe-in-god-a6911301.html%3famp
"could" = silly assumption, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back