How Can Anyone Be An Atheist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's his point. No external influences telling you to believe in this or that god.
So are you/he saying that from birth you are fully formed person and the only things that you develop are taught? If that's the point then it's a shit one.

Get what you mean, but you're not born any of them. That's what society puts on you. It's what society labels you until you decide otherwise.
I think you've missed his point there. ;)

If all of human learning was erased, and we were somehow made as primitive as cavemen again, eventually we'd learn the science bits again and religion wouldn't be learned in the same way. Science is based on fact and studying the world around us, religion is a made up belief system. If the world was reset to make humans regress to neanderthal men, there wouldn't be Christianity, Hinduism, Judaism or any other belief system. New ones would probably develop as an attempt to explain where we originated from, before somebody works out evolution again

I haven't watched the link but find it fascinating how people can have a strong opinion either way, since we're not really going to know until we're actually dead.

I would describe myself as agnostic and open to persuasion, based on proof either way. I hope I don't find out anytime soon :lol:

I think this is one of the most intelligent things I've ever read on here.

It's an odd type of bitterness the way some atheists go out of their way to put down believers (of any faith). Live and let live as no harm is done imo.

Cue people bleating on about extremists as if they are the norm in religion.

Everybody can't read, write or speak when they are born.

People who bang on about atheism tend to be pure spenks imo. I went to a thing called the Infinite Monkey Cage, it was a live podcast thing with Robin Ince and that science fella from D-Ream. They had an 'atheist band' doing songs about us 'coming from apes' and whatnot. I think it was supposed to be ironic but it was basically a Christian rock gig for people who don't believe in god - an atheist church service if you like.

Horrendous crack, never again.

People who bang on about atheism tend to be pure spenks imo. I went to a thing called the Infinite Monkey Cage, it was a live podcast thing with Robin Ince and that science fella from D-Ream. They had an 'atheist band' doing songs about us 'coming from apes' and whatnot. I think it was supposed to be ironic but it was basically a Christian rock gig for people who don't believe in god - an atheist church service if you like.

Horrendous crack, never again.
They do like. You must listen to me as clearly I know best! Why aren't you listening to me????

What peculiar logic.

Surely for it to be an atheist act, it would have to be done in the name of no god.

As far as motives are concerned, I don't think that one crops up a lot.
But we are automatically atheist, athiema is a lack of belief that requires no affirmation of those lack of beleifs.

So why would someone need to declare that they're doing anything in the name of atheism.

So are you/he saying that from birth you are fully formed person and the only things that you develop are taught? If that's the point then it's a shit one.

I think you've missed his point there. ;)

I'm saying that when you're born, you don't yet hold a belief in a higher being, it is something that a person is taught/brainwashed to believe.

As you grow up and become able to understand language you then receive "wisdom" from your parents/guardians/family/teachers etc. that form the basis of your beliefs.

Much later in life you develop the tools to judge whether the things you were taught as a child were true. Most people use these tools to determine that Santa Claus and The Easter Bunny aren't real. Some people go on to use these tools to reflect on their religious beliefs and realise that it too was all made-up and highly illogical.

I'm saying that when you're born, you don't yet hold a belief in a higher being, it is something that a person is taught/brainwashed to believe.

As you grow up and become able to understand language you then receive "wisdom" from your parents/guardians/family/teachers etc. that form the basis of your beliefs.

Much later in life you develop the tools to judge whether the things you were taught as a child were true. Most people use these tools to determine that Santa Claus and The Easter Bunny aren't real. Some people go on to use these tools to reflect on their religious beliefs and realise that it too was all made-up and highly illogical.
Agreed. You also don't have any control over pissing and shitting yourself amongst many many other things.

How did you come to those conclusions?

Quite a few Ricky Gervais quotes in here.. masquerading as original opinions.

I like Ricky Gervais's stand-up routines but a lot of his atheism quotes were taken from elsewhere - famous atheists like Dawkins, Hitchens, Bertrand Russell etc.

How did you come to those conclusions?

The miracles of science and philosophy.

It's like when you're young you think Oasis songs are good. Then you grow up and realise you've actually hoyed better songs in the bin.

Some of us were never quite that gullible. ;)

But we are automatically atheist, athiema is a lack of belief that requires no affirmation of those lack of beleifs.

So why would someone need to declare that they're doing anything in the name of atheism.

An act performed by an atheist is not the same thing as an atheist act.

Just like an act performed by a Christian is not the same thing as a Christian act.

There are plants of Christians in prison for rape, murder, theft etc. Were these Christian acts or acts performed by Christians?

Plants? That was supposed to say "plenty".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back