How Can Anyone Be An Atheist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Born here you're christian, born in india you're could be a hindu or Sikh, born in turkey it's likely you'd be a muslim, born in Israel likely to be jewish, born in rome 2000 years ago and you'd believe in things like mars the god of war, born in norway 1200 years ago and you'd worship Odin and Thor.

Funny how where and when you're born dictates which religion you get made to follow.
Its almost as if it's a complete load of lies
Naughty boy. :):)

This is an hour and a half long but it's a classic episode. First caller, an 18 year old lad raised as a baptist but now having doubts, is the best. His mind is like a butterfly emerging from a caterpillar.

I can't see signatures. Must be my settings.

Just altered setting.

Probably but that's a lot of big words for me.

I doubt if there is any inherent meaning but to recognise our true nature. We don't have to of course.

I don't know about absolute nihilism though just as I don't know what happens after we die.

I think there is an intrinsic quality to life but whether that classes as value I don't know.

Pursuit of that true nature, experiencing the intrinsic quality of life, our inherent humanity is a personal choice I suppose rather than a universal automatic meaning. It's only when we make that personal choice that that life can take on objective meaning but even that meaning is to experience which becomes subjective..

Buddha did say that which is intrinsically pure cannot be defiled by man.

Our inherent nature is obscured by the clouds of the mind rather than defiled.

Which brings me back to the quote I posted earlier that:

There is a young baby and a three year old in a room. The three year old says to the young baby, "Tell me about heaven again, I'm starting to forget".

I thin this is the real meaning of the Garden of Eden story. Adam and Eve ate the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good an evil. In other words they got into duality of the mind which then obscured their inherent quality. I don't see that story as literal but rather symbolic of the process we all go through after being born Nurture takes over from nature.

So we build our own personality based on life's experiences and what feelings we have attached to those experiences, makes sense. I've always wondered what it would be like to swap consciousness with someone and to 'feel' how they see the world and decide whether I've took the wrong course. Obviously there wasn't much I could have done as I am I and this is where I've ended up. I do get down on myself with my bleak outlook but find trying to break out of that extremely difficult but it's who I've created.

Sorry for the very late reply (I forgot) but after seeing all the shit with Trump/Syria I just struggle to understand what our point is. This may sound naive but May/Trump/Macron took decisions that may well end existence for some people. I just don't get it, why are we so enamoured with all that rubbish, it's so crazy we are here but seem intent on destroying it.

Nice to see a former PM and experienced parlimentary debater get completely and utterly pwned by The Hitch. :lol::cool:

Well Hitchens was an intellectual and they are in very short supply in Parliament.

Many theists like to say they "follow the teachings of jesus" - well here is one, note the linked page is a biblical site. Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 15:3-4 - New International Version

"Matthew 15:3-4 New International Version (NIV)
3 Jesus replied, “And why do you break the command of God for the sake of your tradition? 4 For God said, ‘Honor your father and mother’A)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-23638A" style="box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 0.625em; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> and ‘Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death.’

So there you go, straight from jesus; if your kids give you lip, kill them.

Last edited:
Which god?

All gods are god, it is one god. Whether that’s JuJu the Sky Monster, God, Allah, YHWH etc

Polytheism is the perception of gods individual actions as individuals gods. Just as I can watch TV, chew gum and wear a baseball cap at the same time, God is capable of actions in multiple areas.

Scripture like the Bible were written by men hundreds or thousands of years ago, they are not from god, they are poor interpretations of god by men from millenia ago.

All gods are god, it is one god. Whether that’s JuJu the Sky Monster, God, Allah, YHWH etc

Polytheism is the perception of gods individual actions as individuals gods. Just as I can watch TV, chew gum and wear a baseball cap at the same time, God is capable of actions in multiple areas.

Scripture like the Bible were written by men hundreds or thousands of years ago, they are not from god, they are poor interpretations of god by men from millenia ago.
Ah, OK. Thanks for explaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back