How bad are things at the moment ...

It had become boring to many fans. You're kidding yourself if you think fans would be content with scraping around the lower reaches of the PL playing Benitez-style football.

You're entitled to your opinion. I have preferred this season to a few of our PL seasons.

Saved me saying pretty much this. I had very little interest in going to watch us try to cling on and ultimately lose anyway just cos it was a PL game. I’ve been to about 70% of home games this season though.

Whilst the op is a glass half full kind of chap it’s impossible to deny we have been shite since the first half in the tin pot cup. We were poor at Rochdale with last minute winner, shite against Burton and f***ing awful against Coventry. Other teams are hitting form and we are hitting shite. It’s doesnt look good. Hope I’m wrong.
Its easy to deny it. We bounced back from Wembley superbly 3 days later. You must have missed that bit out for some reason

It had become boring to many fans. You're kidding yourself if you think fans would be content with scraping around the lower reaches of the PL playing Benitez-style football.
If that's remotely true, then they're fuckin' idiots. I was bored with this season by the end of November. The football is utter shit. The opposition is utter shit. The players are utter shit. The refereeing is utter shit. The coverage is utter shit. The fact we're staring another season of this tripe in the face is utter shit.

You're kidding yourself if you think the fans would be content scraping wins/draws at Rochdale and Scunthorpe.

I've enjoyed the season, though it has had its frustrations.
If we go up great. If not, another season at this level won't spoil my life.

I guess people ultimately want us back in the PL. To do what though I wonder? Newcastle fans may be convincing themselves that life is great but it looks one enormous borefest to me.
TBH, I'd rather be in the borefest of the PL than to be competing at the top of League One. I'd actually rather be stuck in mid-table in the Championship that have another season like this in League One.

Its easy to deny it. We bounced back from Wembley superbly 3 days later. You must have missed that bit out for some reason
Must admit I missed the Accrington game (expected to be able to tune in on SAFSEE only to realise at the last minute you couldn't), but everything else he's said is spot on.

And let's face it, bouncing back superbly against Accrington Stanley, 16th in the friggin' division. Get in eh. :rolleyes:

And 3rd top scorers despite having 'shit strikers and no service' ....

You're not factoring in Maja's phenomenal conversion rate for half the season. 15 goals in 41 attempts or something like that. The other top scorers in this league needed twice the amount of chances for the same return.

Must admit I missed the Accrington game (expected to be able to tune in on SAFSEE only to realise at the last minute you couldn't), but everything else he's said is spot on.

And let's face it, bouncing back superbly against Accrington Stanley, 16th in the friggin' division. Get in eh. :rolleyes:
Stop going on about the division. We are a league 1 team just as all the other teams are. We have a league 1 squad. Barring 1 or 2 this is their level. We DID bounce back from Wembley very well. Why is it only the negatives that are allowed to be used? Christ even beating Rochdale is used to have a pop purely because we got the winner late on. If it had been 2-1 after 70 mins it wouldn't have got mentioned

... depends which way you look at it I suppose.

Am I wrong or could we be 2nd in the table on Friday, 4 points off top on the same games played ...

... and haven't the top 3 teams only won one game from the last six between them, all losing one.

I'm sure Luton and Barnsley lost by more than 1 goal while we didn't.

The Coventry game was a mess but just as one win doesn't mean we'll go up one defeat doesn't mean we can't.

The last few seasons left me numb to failure, when you've been repeatedly punched you don't feel it the same any more. It will wear off, but as we've hit the bottom (we didn't know where it was for us which was scary) and are now bouncing back I just can't feel unhappy with this season overall- but failure now will just be another 'lost year'. I don't think I'll be 'gutted' if we don't make it in all honesty - just very sad. I really don't know exactly why but I remain quite confident that we will go up though this year. I think it will take a bit longer for the full range of emotions to be available again after what we've been through. As it is I just don't trust myself to judge where we're at game by game, we still have a Jekyll and Hyde club and can never be sure which one is taking to the pitch.

Last edited:
Stop going on about the division. We are a league 1 team just as all the other teams are. We have a league 1 squad. Barring 1 or 2 this is their level. We DID bounce back from Wembley very well. Why is it only the negatives that are allowed to be used? Christ even beating Rochdale is used to have a pop purely because we got the winner late on. If it had been 2-1 after 70 mins it wouldn't have got mentioned
It was a shit game against a shit team and for the most part we were shit. It was horrendous viewing.

I'm going on about the division because it's crap and I want out. It's a fairly simple point I'm making.

Last edited:
Saved me saying pretty much this. I had very little interest in going to watch us try to cling on and ultimately lose anyway just cos it was a PL game. I’ve been to about 70% of home games this season though.
There's 2 ways of looking at it. Competing against the best teams in the country in one of the top leagues in Europe. Or happy to see your side win even if it's in a piss poor league.

... depends which way you look at it I suppose.

Am I wrong or could we be 2nd in the table on Friday, 4 points off top on the same games played ...

... and haven't the top 3 teams only won one game from the last six between them, all losing one.

I'm sure Luton and Barnsley lost by more than 1 goal while we didn't.

The Coventry game was a mess but just as one win doesn't mean we'll go up one defeat doesn't mean we can't.

Foomin' coz it was a loss to Coventry of all clubs.
But still believe.

A very good point and I have to admit that making up the numbers in the bottom half of the PL totally lost its novelty.

I really believe most people realise this current side was cobbled together and it has no real balance or style.

A good transfer window and a flying start would see similar crowds if we're still here next season.
Other fans may not agree, but supporting Pompey in League 2 and 1, regularly winning and challenging for promotion, has given me some of the best memories of watching football. You get new heroes, new enemies and players for who playing against teams like Stanley and Wycombe is a career high, not a career low.

Back