How bad are things at the moment ...

A very good point and I have to admit that making up the numbers in the bottom half of the PL totally lost its novelty.

I really believe most people realise this current side was cobbled together and it has no real balance or style.

A good transfer window and a flying start would see similar crowds if we're still here next season.

The reality is we are nowhere near good enough for the Championship. We'd need major surgery to even survive.

I've enjoyed the season, though it has had its frustrations.
If we go up great. If not, another season at this level won't spoil my life.

I guess people ultimately want us back in the PL. To do what though I wonder? Newcastle fans may be convincing themselves that life is great but it looks one enormous borefest to me.
Get promoted and spend a good few years in the Championship for me.

3 games in 3 weeks we've had the chance to hammer home our advantage and have pretty much choked each time - Portsmouth in the Cup and the last two league games. Winners finish the job.

More boring than this season? Aye we’ve won games but it’s hardly been 97/98 under Reid.

We had some fantastic days in the last stint in the top flight. The last season was absolutely dreadful and there were periods of real bleakness prior but for the most part it was a right rollercoaster. Beating Man United (home and away), Liverpool, Chelsea (home and away), Man City, the Mags on several occasions, going top 6 for a while, watching players like Defoe, M’Vila, Malbranque, Zenden, Bent etc against some of the world’s best players will absolutely always be better than watching us grind out a 2-1 win at home to Southend or whoever else at this level. Well, IMO anyway

We beat Southend 4-0 :cool:

The reality is we are nowhere near good enough for the Championship. We'd need major surgery to even survive.

I agree with that anarl, we don't have anywhere near the quality.

They've worked their socks off but they're looking fatigued now.

I've enjoyed the season, though it has had its frustrations.
If we go up great. If not, another season at this level won't spoil my life.

I guess people ultimately want us back in the PL. To do what though I wonder? Newcastle fans may be convincing themselves that life is great but it looks one enormous borefest to me.

Looks a damn sight better than drawing at home against the likes of Wycombe and Walsall every other week.

Looks a damn sight better than drawing at home against the likes of Wycombe and Walsall every other week.

But you're exaggerating to make your point.
I could say beating Gillingham 4-1 and 4-2, Barnsley 4-2, Southend 4-0, Rochdale 4-1, Scunny 3-0 and playing at Wembley is better than losing your first 7 or 8 home games. I wouldn't be exaggerating either.

Whilst the op is a glass half full kind of chap it’s impossible to deny we have been shite since the first half in the tin pot cup. We were poor at Rochdale with last minute winner, shite against Burton and f***ing awful against Coventry. Other teams are hitting form and we are hitting shite. It’s doesnt look good. Hope I’m wrong.

More boring than this season? Aye we’ve won games but it’s hardly been 97/98 under Reid.

We had some fantastic days in the last stint in the top flight. The last season was absolutely dreadful and there were periods of real bleakness prior but for the most part it was a right rollercoaster. Beating Man United (home and away), Liverpool, Chelsea (home and away), Man City, the Mags on several occasions, going top 6 for a while, watching players like Defoe, M’Vila, Malbranque, Zenden, Bent etc against some of the world’s best players will absolutely always be better than watching us grind out a 2-1 win at home to Southend or whoever else at this level. Well, IMO anyway

And hoy a proper cup final in whilst we were 'making up those numbers' for good measure.

So what if wins were hard to come by, for nine years we did enough to stay in league, which for me was worth it. The high of one decent win in the Prem was worth 6 in this shit league.

Last edited:
But you're exaggerating to make your point.
I could say beating Gillingham 4-1 and 4-2, Barnsley 4-2, Southend 4-0, Rochdale 4-1, Scunny 3-0 and playing at Wembley is better than losing your first 7 or 8 home games. I wouldn't be exaggerating either.
We played at Wembley in a proper cup final against one of the best teams in the country during our last stint in the Premier League.

And I'm not exaggerating at all. For nine seasons we did enough to stay in the league. That's far better than beating that lot.

I'd far rather be sat on 38 points in the Premier League, than praying for Barnsley and Luton to slip up so we can sneak promotion to the Championship.

Last edited:
And hoy a proper cup final in whilst we were 'making up those numbers' for good measure.

So what if wins were hard to come by, for nine years we did enough to stay in league, which for me was worth it. The high if one decent win in the Prem was worth 6 in this shit league.

The feeling of walking away having beaten City in the last minute with Ji, beaten Chelsea three zip away from home after they hadn’t been beaten for God knows how long at home, every one of the derby victories, that 3-2 home win against Chelsea, the 3-0 Everton win, the 1-0 win under Di Canio, the 0-0 away to Arsenal to secure survival, O’Neill taking off against Blackburn and others makes anything of this season pale into insignificance. That’s without including the league cup run.

People talking about being more proud of this team than any other and stuff like that is grand and it’s good people feel like that again but there were times in that last top flight run that had my heart bursting through my chest with excitement and pride. Watching highlights of game on sky and then waiting for MOTD to watch it again, then getting up to watch GoS. It’s just different IMO

I’m sort of looking even further ahead, if we don’t get promoted then an extra year down here isn’t the end of the world. Maybe we could even use another year to sort our team and financial foundation out similar to when we lost the playoffs then steamrollered it next year.

Not ideal but I think we’re going to miss out so is what it is.
In another years time there'll be twice as many clubs receiving hefty parachute payments from relegation, whereas we'll have already had ours...

Last edited:
We played at Wembley in a proper cup final against one of the best teams in the country during our last stint in the Premier League.

And I'm not exaggerating at all. For nine seasons we did enough to stay in the league. That's far better than beating that lot.

It had become boring to many fans. You're kidding yourself if you think fans would be content with scraping around the lower reaches of the PL playing Benitez-style football.

You're entitled to your opinion. I have preferred this season to a few of our PL seasons.

Last edited:
... depends which way you look at it I suppose.

Am I wrong or could we be 2nd in the table on Friday, 4 points off top on the same games played ...

... and haven't the top 3 teams only won one game from the last six between them, all losing one.

I'm sure Luton and Barnsley lost by more than 1 goal while we didn't.

The Coventry game was a mess but just as one win doesn't mean we'll go up one defeat doesn't mean we can't.

Pint glass half full, just like me marra. We garn up in 2nd place!

Back