Homebrewing - Part 3

Re: Homebrewing - Part 2

I know. I need to know if I can use beer finings for wine??

How's your hoopy bitter? Mine looks like a lager but is getting darker by the day :eek:

If you're not happy to use them, I'm led to believe gelatine works well. But google it first so I'm not totally responsible! ;)

Just bottled fotty pints of wilkos cerveza, tastes mint already.

Decided to try one of them turbo ciders that I bottled the other day, it's still flat but tastes a bit like woodpecker so drinkable.

Nee cranberry flavours in it like.

I know. I need to know if I can use beer finings for wine??

How's your hoopy bitter? Mine looks like a lager but is getting darker by the day :eek:

Haven't had chance to put it on yet. Leaving the house at 6.20am and getting in at 7.15pm takes it's toll. Busy sterilising wine bottles for my Sauv Blanc that has been racked for nearly a month!

Haven't had chance to put it on yet. Leaving the house at 6.20am and getting in at 7.15pm takes it's toll. Busy sterilising wine bottles for my Sauv Blanc that has been racked for nearly a month!

All this work wreaks havoc with our hobby :lol:

All this work wreaks havoc with our hobby :lol:

Going to see if I can be bothered to bottle it tonight. Going to put 2 kits on tomorrow if I do, bitter and one of the 3 different lagers I've got. Ordered some dark spraymalt for the stout so that should be here on Friday.

Going to see if I can be bothered to bottle it tonight. Going to put 2 kits on tomorrow if I do, bitter and one of the 3 different lagers I've got. Ordered some dark spraymalt for the stout so that should be here on Friday.

Starting a Wilkos Stout tomorrow with a combination of brewing sugar, spraymalt and demerera sugar. Hope its as good as the Coopers! I think I've found the best way to batch prime and carbonate, so it's now time to play about with the mix :-D

Starting a Wilkos Stout tomorrow with a combination of brewing sugar, spraymalt and demerera sugar. Hope its as good as the Coopers! I think I've found the best way to batch prime and carbonate, so it's now time to play about with the mix :-D

How?

volatile! :lol:;)

The thread is now yours! :lol: part 3 :cool:

I would just go 500g of each, otherwise you could be decorating before Christmas. Kabooooom, :lol:

GERRIN part 3!

I used to batch prime with 100g of sugar and leave in the kitchen (which is pretty warm) for a week before transferring to the garage. It would always take an extra couple of weeks to be a drinking stage.

I've now started batch priming with 120-130g of sugar and putting the bottles in the airing cupboard. I've just sampled two brews (one in the airing cupboard for 6, the other for 4 days) and they're both spot on.

I would just go 500g of each, otherwise you could be decorating before Christmas. Kabooooom, :lol:

GERRIN part 3!

I was going to try 500g spraymalt, 500g brewing sugar and 250g demerera. I want it drinkable, just want a richer flavour

How long do you leave in the warm/kitchen when you batch prime, and before you bottle, a week?

I've batch primed mine but left it cold (garage) for about 3 days, I've bottled tonight but can't get it in the warm until the wherry's done, which is gonna be about another week.

How long do you leave in the warm/kitchen when you batch prime, and before you bottle, a week?

I've batch primed mine but left it cold (garage) for about 3 days, I've bottled tonight but can't get it in the warm until the wherry's done, which is gonna be about another week.

Once you transfer to the 2nd fv with the piming sugar, you should bottle asap, or so I've been led to believe. Once bottled I've found putting somewhere warm is best to start carbonation (airing cupboard). Once the bottles have firmed up due to carbonation then transfer to somewhere cool to finish. Each time I've bottled and put it somewhere cool/cold straight away, it's taken a lifetime to carbonate, if at all.

I'm lucky to have a games room to brew all my beers but if you have to brew in the garage I reckon it's too cold without a heater or Wilfy sleeping bag :-D
Even indoors, I wrap all my fvs in blankets to aid fermentation

Once you transfer to the 2nd fv with the piming sugar, you should bottle asap, or so I've been led to believe. Once bottled I've found putting somewhere warm is best to start carbonation (airing cupboard). Once the bottles have firmed up due to carbonation then transfer to somewhere cool to finish. Each time I've bottled and put it somewhere cool/cold straight away, it's taken a lifetime to carbonate, if at all.

I'm lucky to have a games room to brew all my beers but if you have to brew in the garage I reckon it's too cold without a heater or Wilfy sleeping bag :-D
Even indoors, I wrap all my fvs in blankets to aid fermentation

All of this ^^^

Hello to Part 3!

On the subect of priming if I primed a batch and ended up putting it somewhere cool and it failed to carbonate is there a time limit on transfering it to a warmer place?

I've got a couple of batches of TC which are reluctant to fizz up and taste slightly sweeter as a result.

Back