Homebrewing - Part 3

Skiddaw

Winger
Re: Homebrewing - Part 2

It's not got a really strong taste, easy session beer. Like a bitter.
By far and away the best homebrew I've ever tasted. Not one hint that its been made under the stairs and at £18 is an absolute bargain.

Added some medium spray malt to the latest batch and can't wait to find out what difference its made

Local Lad

Central Defender

Just about to bottle my cranberry TC and again it doesnt smell to good, will wait and see hoe it turns out, also just started a apple and raspberry. took a gamble on some juice lidl are selling for 34p a litre. fingers crossed.

Getting some crazy readings here like.

the light bodied rose has come out at 15%
the white wine has come out at 18%

and calculating the % of the raspberry TC i just started it could be about 7.5% i didn't put any sugar in it.

i wouldn't mind if it was for me but i don't really fancy my nana getting mortal before her Christmas Dinner! off one glass of wine.

What's Wherry taste like? Never heard of it til I spied this thread on here with everyone gan mad for it.
Well mine tastes like dog piss! I imagine!;)

Just about to bottle my cranberry TC and again it doesnt smell to good, will wait and see hoe it turns out, also just started a apple and raspberry.
Tried one of mine on Sunday and it nearly stripped the enamel off my teeth! Its getting another couple of months max before it gets slung.

Local Lad

Central Defender

Well mine tastes like dog piss! I imagine!;)

Tried one of mine on Sunday and it nearly stripped the enamel off my teeth! Its getting another couple of months max before it gets slung.
aye have a feeling that's what its going to be like. Its only £4 or something so if its wasted its not too bad.

Wilfy

Striker

Well I now have my racking barrel. Hole saw made a lovely neat cut, tap was a very snug fit.:-D On the downside I have lost an FV and am down to three.:-(

fatman stu

Central Defender

This is probably going to be a very stupid question but I set a coopers ginger beer off yesterday and it stated to use raw sugar. Is wilkos brewing sugar ok?, i dont actually know the difference between raw and brewing sugar if there is any.

It actually smells lovely as well:cool:

Last edited:

Well I now have my racking barrel. Hole saw made a lovely neat cut, tap was a very snug fit.:-D On the downside I have lost an FV and am down to three.:-(
Well you know what to do marra! :)

This is probably going to be a very stupid question but I set a coopers ginger beer off yesterday and it stated to use raw sugar. Is wilkos brewing sugar ok?, i dont actually know the difference between raw and brewing sugar if there is any.

It actually smells lovely as well:cool:
Aye mate, it'll be ok. Brewing sugar is pure dextrose, normal sugar is a mix, which takes the yeast longer to eat up. Less chance of off flavours using dextrose iirc.

Wilfy

Striker

Well you know what to do marra! :)

Aye mate, it'll be ok. Brewing sugar is pure dextrose, normal sugar is a mix, which takes the yeast longer to eat up. Less chance of off flavours using dextrose iirc.
I actually haven't got space to have 4 FV's a PB and a racking vessel set up so shall just stick to 3 for now.

Farralad

Midfield

Those who've done the wherry, does it normally take the yeast a while to start?

Mines away now, but took over 24 hours before it started, (I don't think I had the thermostat on the heater up enough though, and increased it a couple of degrees last night), got in from work and it's foaming, I just hope it's not too hot and spoils it.

Mines away now, but took over 24 hours before it started, (I don't think I had the thermostat on the heater up enough though, and increased it a couple of degrees last night), got in from work and it's foaming, I just hope it's not too hot and spoils it.
iirc mine took a while too.

salad dodger

Midfield

Between 4-48 hours for me. It ferments well in lower temps but definitely prefers it warmer.

Farralad

Midfield

Between 4-48 hours for me. It ferments well in lower temps but definitely prefers it warmer.
Cheers lads. I had the temp on lowest settin 17.c I think but hoyed it up a couple a degrees. Ill just leave it as it is rather than clart about n drop the temp again.

jubblies

Striker

Wilkos Pilsner and Newkie Brown were bottled last week and left in the airing cupboard (Pilsner 6 days and Newkie Brown 4) All bottles are solid (plastic ones) and quite a lot of carbonation. Sample bottles currently chilling in the fridge.......review to follow within the hour