Homebrewing - Part 3

Hello to Part 3!

On the subect of priming if I primed a batch and ended up putting it somewhere cool and it failed to carbonate is there a time limit on transfering it to a warmer place?

I've got a couple of batches of TC which are reluctant to fizz up and taste slightly sweeter as a result.

I think it's just a question of waiting or transferring to a barrel and foce carbonating with CO2

With the TC's, just add some lemonade

Hello to Part 3!

On the subect of priming if I primed a batch and ended up putting it somewhere cool and it failed to carbonate is there a time limit on transfering it to a warmer place?

I've got a couple of batches of TC which are reluctant to fizz up and taste slightly sweeter as a result.

Not that I am aware. If I ever had poorly carbonated drink I have always found moving back into the warm and gently disturbing the sediment will kick start the process. I'm sure the yeast just goes to sleep and the warmth and agitation wakes it up again. If sugars remain it will carbonate.

Not that I am aware. If I ever had poorly carbonated drink I have always found moving back into the warm and gently disturbing the sediment will kick start the process. I'm sure the yeast just goes to sleep and the warmth and agitation wakes it up again. If sugars remain it will carbonate.

Probably right. I'm not that patient so I bought the barrel and force carbonated :lol:

I started to get a bit twitchy about not using enough priming sugar and over primed a batch of wilkos cerveza. Its now stored in the garage about 20 mtrs away from the house in the cold just to be on the safe side.

I didn't batch prime it just used kitchen measuring spoons and put in big heaped teaspoons, probably twice what was really needed. The PET bottles are absolutely rock solid so I'm suitably worried about the glass ones. Deffo not keeping them anywhere warm, 20 mtrs blast radius should be fine!

It still tastes ok but only when after a while when the fizz has subsided.

I didn't batch prime it just used kitchen measuring spoons and put in big heaped teaspoons, probably twice what was really needed. The PET bottles are absolutely rock solid so I'm suitably worried about the glass ones. Deffo not keeping them anywhere warm, 20 mtrs blast radius should be fine!

Get them somewhere cold asap

Good luck :eek:

I think i must be the lucky one on here, my stairs run up the middle of the house so I brew mine on a shelf in the cupboard underneath. Two fv's on the go and the temp is pretty constant, I put them in into kegs and leave them under the shelf for 2 weeks until the next brews are ready then put them in the shed until I need them.
I'm up to 8 kegs mind and just get the lads round one night a fortnight to make sure my conveyer belt of alcoholic bliss runs smoothly.

On another note for you stout drinkers, I love Milestones Black Pearl, but having tried coopers with dark malt I don't know whether it's 5 quid better or not, think i'll have to research this one further.

Oh and ruby red has replaced Wherry as my stock beer:lol:

Re: Homebrewing - Part 2

Just bottled fotty pints of wilkos cerveza, tastes mint already.

Decided to try one of them turbo ciders that I bottled the other day, it's still flat but tastes a bit like woodpecker so drinkable.

Nee cranberry flavours in it like.

my cranberry tc just tasted like apple cider when I bottled it.

The first one I made tasted like wine. So I am going to consider it a success.

Get them somewhere cold asap

Good luck :eek:

but dont shake them to much while moving. ;)

Well, I've had a busy night! Bottled the Sauv Blanc, put on a Wilko light delicate pilsener (1kg brewing sugar, 500g light spraymalt) and the Wilko hoppy copper bitter (1kg brewing sugar, 500g medium spraymalt). Bit disappointed with initial readings, 1038 on the lager, 1034 on the bitter. Wonder if my hydrometer is playing up. Use another one next time I suppose.

Get onto these lot to sort ya garage out.

On another note for you stout drinkers, I love Milestones Black Pearl, but having tried coopers with dark malt I don't know whether it's 5 quid better or not, think i'll have to research this one further.

Oh and ruby red has replaced Wherry as my stock beer:lol:

I love the Coopers Stout with extra dark DME. Which one is £5 more? There's a recipe about that adds 150g of demerera to the mix which is meant to be really good.

Is that the St Peters? I f***ing love it in the bottles so can't wait for mine to be ready! (fingers crossed its better than my Wherry) :lol:

Well, I've had a busy night! Bottled the Sauv Blanc, put on a Wilko light delicate pilsener (1kg brewing sugar, 500g light spraymalt) and the Wilko hoppy copper bitter (1kg brewing sugar, 500g medium spraymalt). Bit disappointed with initial readings, 1038 on the lager, 1034 on the bitter. Wonder if my hydrometer is playing up. Use another one next time I suppose.

Not like you aint got enough spares! :lol: Might not have been mixed up properly? Calibrate it to find out. Fresh water at 20 degrees should be 1000 iirc.

Not like you aint got enough spares! :lol: Might not have been mixed up properly? Calibrate it to find out. Fresh water at 20 degrees should be 1000 iirc.
It was properly mixed although the spraymalt took some work to get rid of some clumps. Will try calibrating it tonight. Could of just been the temperrature in the garage that's knocked the readings out. Anyhow the 2 FV's are safely wrapped un in their sleeping bag for the next couple of weeks.

It was properly mixed although the spraymalt took some work to get rid of some clumps. Will try calibrating it tonight. Could of just been the temperrature in the garage that's knocked the readings out. Anyhow the 2 FV's are safely wrapped un in their sleeping bag for the next couple of weeks.

I wouldnt worry about it too much, if you've followed the recipe it'll be as near as bang on stated abv. :cool:

Its going to be like a scene from the Hurt Locker retrieving them from the garage!

Skiddaw on the piss...

Logon or register to see this image

rare day off today - might start some tea wine later

do you think instead of the raisins/grape concentrate I could use a litre of grape juice ??

Back