Homebrewing - Part 3

And the unopened ones are just fine keeping in the fridge? First batch was bottled early Nov, and second batch was the end of Nov.
That could be why they're not fizzy. Did you add bottling sugar? If so, it needs to actually ferment to become fizzy. I'd leave them in a cool place until the summer personally, but then I always had plenty of patience for my homebrew :lol:

That could be why they're not fizzy. Did you add bottling sugar? If so, it needs to actually ferment to become fizzy. I'd leave them in a cool place until the summer personally, but then I always had plenty of patience for my homebrew :lol:
Yes I did, until they were fairly hard, but I was scared they’d explode.

So if I take the two litre bottle out of the fridge and leave it somewhere warm again for a bit, will the yeast wake up and eat the sugar and turn it fizzier, or now that it’s been in the fridge for six weeks am I done?

Yeah, but why is the yeast turning the sugar to carbon dioxide, rather than alcohol?
Yeast turns sugar into alcohol AND CO2. That's why it bubbles in the fermentation bucket.

Same as how we breath air, and that O2 mixes with glucose, and it produces "energy" and then we breath out CO2

Right, so even after I bottle it and seal it, if I put extra sugar in to make it fizzy it’s going to increase the alcohol level? I get it now. Thanks folks. I might take some of it out of the fridge and leave it somewhere until the bottles get really hard. I was scared they’d explode but I suspect I’ve got a bit of leeway yet. (If not I’ll blame you lot).

Still have shitload of wherry/stout/cider from about May in the garage. Scared to have a go at it.:lol:
Get amongst it. It’ll be lovely by now
Right, so even after I bottle it and seal it, if I put extra sugar in to make it fizzy it’s going to increase the alcohol level? I get it now. Thanks folks. I might take some of it out of the fridge and leave it somewhere until the bottles get really hard. I was scared they’d explode but I suspect I’ve got a bit of leeway yet. (If not I’ll blame you lot).
When you bottle it with some sugar, you want to keep it somewhere warmish (about the same as you fermented at) for about a fortnight. The goal is to restart fermentation in the bottle to generate co2 that will carbonate the beer/cider. It will increase the alcohol volume a bit - but it’s negligible. The trick is to make sure that your original fermentation has finished (by getting a stable reading on the hydrometer) if it has you’re ok - the teaspoon or so of sugar won’t blow up the bottles - but if your primary fermentation is still active there is potential to make them go bang.

Last edited:
Get amongst it. It’ll be lovely by now

When you bottle it with some sugar, you want to keep it somewhere warmish (about the same as you fermented at) for about a fortnight. The goal is to restart fermentation in the bottle to generate co2 that will carbonate the beer/cider. It will increase the alcohol volume a bit - but it’s negligible. The trick is to make sure that your original fermentation has finished (by getting a stable reading on the hydrometer) if it has you’re ok - the teaspoon or so of sugar won’t blow up the bottles - but if your primary fermentation is still active there is potential to make them go bang.
I’m pretty sure the primary formation finished. I waited till they stopped bubbling in the bucket. :D

I’ll take em out of the fridge and put them somewhere warm for a bit. Ta!

Back