Homebrewing - Part 3

So Im on sampling my second batch of some New Zealand Pilsner and I'm quite happy with it. Perfectly drinkable and a nice head. Just wondering what peoples opinions were on using brewing sugar vs normal sugar.

Urgent question. Can I use bread/baking yeast that I put in my bread in my cider??

Started juicing all the apples today and noticed my packet of super yeast had a Best before date of May 22. Put a teaspoon of yeast in a warm bowl of water with a spoon of sugar and it’s done nowt. I don’t want to out dead yeast in me cider.

Urgent question. Can I use bread/baking yeast that I put in my bread in my cider??

Started juicing all the apples today and noticed my packet of super yeast had a Best before date of May 22. Put a teaspoon of yeast in a warm bowl of water with a spoon of sugar and it’s done nowt. I don’t want to out dead yeast in me cider.
You can, it won’t attenuate very well tho. Personally I’d try it not bother using any yeast, there should be plenty from the apples.

Right, after the new yeast, the cider is going bonkers and has bubbled up into my airlock and is overflowing. What should I do here? There’s five litres of apple juice I spent ages juicing at the weekend, I really don’t want to chuck it out.
Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
Or quickly fashion a blow off tube.

Wash the airlock out and replace it. Cider is known for being lively.
Do I need to sterilise it?

Should I take some liquid out of the Demi John or just leave it and if it keeps happening just keep washing it?
Or quickly fashion a blow off tube.

That looks complicated

Back