Homebrewing - Part 3

Right, I see this thread is still going strong(ish).

I have more apples in my new garden than I know what to do with, so I've gone and bought a cider kit off amazon. Just a little 5ltr one, and the instructions look simple enough, although I did buy glass bottles and it's warned me they'll explode, so I'm terrified now.

So plan is to juice all my apples (normal juicer, not an apple press) then stick it in there, hoy the yeast in and see how I get on. Kit came with a hydrometer which looks complicated.

1. How do I know when it's finished fermenting so I can bottle it?
2. How do I carbonate them? Do I just stick some sugar or sugar drops in the plastic bottles after I've bottled it?
3. Do I need to keep it warm all the time? My house is cold when the heating's not on, and the only warm room is the bathroom, but I suspect it may actually be too hot.

Is there anything else I need to know?

my top tips are

steralize everything cleanliness is key
dont use granulated sugar use brewing sugar
when bottling one level teaspoon of brewing sugar in each bottle carbonates the brew lovely
beer finings added to the brew before bottlin, give u a lovely clear brew

indid a lovely hefe wheat brew with 1kg wheat malt three chopped up oranges and 100gms of dried coriander, tastes just like blue moon

Just set a wine kit away, first time I’ve used a no rinse sanitiser, shiting myself in case it doesn’t work.

Got the chemsan and a couple of kits from the homebrew shop in Houghton. Never been through since they’ve moved. Canny little set up.

Right so how do I know when it’s ready?

It’s been going since Friday and is still bubbling away. One bubble every 12 seconds or so. I get that the longer it ferments the more alcoholic it is, but also the less sweet it is. I don’t want it too dry. How do I know when to stop?

(PS I forgot to do the hydrometer thing at the start).

It’s been going since Friday and is still bubbling away. One bubble every 12 seconds or so. I get that the longer it ferments the more alcoholic it is, but also the less sweet it is. I don’t want it too dry. How do I know when to stop?

the hydrometer thing at the start isnt that much of an issue, you'll just not be able to accurately measure how much alcohol is in it when it's finished. You measure gravity before you start fermenting, and when you're finished. The difference is how much sugar has been turned to alcohol. You'll just have to guess by how pissed it gets you :lol:

You want to let the yeast do it's work. Especially if you're bottling it, because if you bottle it up before it's finished and add more sugar to carbonate the bottles will go bang. How sweet/dry it's going to be is all pretty much determined by the stuff you started with. Let the yeast rip through it and finish fermenting. Wait until it stops bubbling, give it a few days after that, then take hydrometer readings 24 hours apart - you're looking for the reading to be the same to say the fermentation is finished.

I’d leave it a week to ten days and then take a reading. If you find it’s too dry you can always backsweeten it with sugar free sweetener.

Logon or register to see this image

All bottled tonight. Sugar drops in, and ready to wait now.

Good news: it actually tastes okay, despite it looking like muddy water... 😳😁

Bad news: I have a whole couple of litres left in the bottom that’s all sediment. Is there anything I can do with that - filter it somehow? Seems a waste to Chuck it.

Logon or register to see this image

All bottled tonight. Sugar drops in, and ready to wait now.

Good news: it actually tastes okay, despite it looking like muddy water... 😳😁

Bad news: I have a whole couple of litres left in the bottom that’s all sediment. Is there anything I can do with that - filter it somehow? Seems a waste to Chuck it.

doubt it will filter, but you could bottle the stuff that’s left. The active yeast will eventually drop out and you’d be able to pour the clearer stuff into a new bottle.

i've got a woodfordes bure gold ready for bottling tomorrow or sunday and realised i don't have enough bottles. i have the pleasure of working down teeside way and found out there's a homebrew shop down there. called in after work and it's a brilliant shop. it's been going since the early 80's and since her husband passed away the wifey who runs it has kept it going.
tbh it was quite nice and refreshing to go into a shop and besides getting what you wanted have a great bit chat with the owner.
quite the opposite of the hard sell as well, tried her best not to sell me the bottles, kept saying how it'd be loads cheaper just to go to pubs and clubs and ask for some empties if they weren't all shut :)
anyway if you google 'alan's homebrew middlesbrough' you'll find it. the website's crap, it's in a rough as owt area and it's a bit of a hike for those in sunderland but worth a look if you're nearby.
also, i noticed it was cheaper than the internet.

i've got a woodfordes bure gold ready for bottling tomorrow or sunday and realised i don't have enough bottles. i have the pleasure of working down teeside way and found out there's a homebrew shop down there. called in after work and it's a brilliant shop. it's been going since the early 80's and since her husband passed away the wifey who runs it has kept it going.
tbh it was quite nice and refreshing to go into a shop and besides getting what you wanted have a great bit chat with the owner.
quite the opposite of the hard sell as well, tried her best not to sell me the bottles, kept saying how it'd be loads cheaper just to go to pubs and clubs and ask for some empties if they weren't all shut :)
anyway if you google 'alan's homebrew middlesbrough' you'll find it. the website's crap, it's in a rough as owt area and it's a bit of a hike for those in sunderland but worth a look if you're nearby.
Aye work in Boro. Cracking little place.

I tend to do kits just for convenience, all grains a full day job.
Generally get them from Wilko or the range, but popped into the one at houghton a few weeks back.

Similar experience, the owner was chatty, no hard sell, spent about 70 quid, I compared this against an online shop and the difference was about 3 quid.

I’m going to make a point of getting my stuff from there in future, keep local businesses going.

I tend to do kits just for convenience, all grains a full day job.
Generally get them from Wilko or the range, but popped into the one at houghton a few weeks back.

Similar experience, the owner was chatty, no hard sell, spent about 70 quid, I compared this against an online shop and the difference was about 3 quid.

I’m going to make a point of getting my stuff from there in future, keep local businesses going.
Do they sell online?

That'll improve massively in about 3 months time if my experience of cider is anything to go by.
Even now it’s open? I have another two litre bottle full, and four 500ml bottles (second batch, leaving to New Year).

The instructions I have said it’ll improve over about two months after bottling, but after two months that’s it?

Even now it’s open? I have another two litre bottle full, and four 500ml bottles (second batch, leaving to New Year).

The instructions I have said it’ll improve over about two months after bottling, but after two months that’s it?
Oh yeah, I mean any other bottles. That one needs drinking now its open.
Never believe a word you read on any "kits" :)

Back