Homebrewing - Part 3

Which heater do people recommend for a plastic brewing barrel? Brewing IPA and heating not on in house during the day so I need to control temp.

All right lads. I’ve done a few stove top all grains, but thinking of making the step up to an klarstein 30L mash tun, boiler, thing.

quick question about this kind of gear, do they still work ok if you want to run a smaller brew through them? Say a 15l through a 30L capacity kit?

All right lads. I’ve done a few stove top all grains, but thinking of making the step up to an klarstein 30L mash tun, boiler, thing.

quick question about this kind of gear, do they still work ok if you want to run a smaller brew through them? Say a 15l through a 30L capacity kit?
Why would you want to do that? It’ll still take the same amount of time.

Was just thinking about keeping costs down while I got up to speed with it, and experimenting with different stuff and not wanting to waste too much if it goes tits up
Grain is about £1/kg so you’ll not waste much mate. I’ve never made an all grain that I haven’t liked. If you do manage to make one you don’t like, Giz a shout and I’ll pick it up!

I get most of my grain from geterbrewed. Hops and yeast from crossmyloof.
This. Geterbrewed and The Homebrew Company appears to be cheapest for grains. The crossmyloof yeasts are very very good value. Their hops are good if you just need hops as postage is free (and they often have things like Falconers Flight which I struggle to get hold of elsewhere) but if you are getting an order from GEB or THBC you can be just as cheap bunging hops in with your grain order.
I’d try not to worry about cheapest especially with grains as they’re buttons, you want to make sure you’re using somewhere that has fresh stock and, with grains, mill to order.
Ironically, the places that buy in and resell ready-crushed grain without much control over how old it is tend to be the most expensive (probably because they are small places which are really just somebody’s local Homebrew shop with a website rather than an online Homebrew supplier).

Last edited:

Back